Lets hear your b show experience!!!

Worldwide - Since 2012
jefftp
Little Cream Soda

Lets hear your b show experience!!!

Post by jefftp »

So I got this idea while writing my last post but any ways. Post your experience of a jack white b show, or even better a WS b show (when they were in Canada). Tell us the whole thing when, where, how you heard about it how you got there what it was like, good or bad (hopefully not) spill it hear. Feel free to include pics if you have them also!!

Here's a copy and paste of my previous post telling my story.

I was at the b show at outside lands and it was epic. I saw the tweet for it 15 mins before it started while i was watching franz ferdinand at the main stage so I told my girlfriend and my brothers "JACK WHITE B SHOW ROLLING RECORD STORE 15 MINS LETS GO!!!!" We grabbed all our stuff stuffed our blanket in my back pack and ran. On the way we ran into some friends randomly and just kept runnin told them no time to talk just follow me. Made it just in time to get a great spot in front of jacks mic. Best day ever!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Ya well..you know that's just like uhh your opinion man"
The Dude
aaronmchidester
Little Bird

Re: Lets hear your b show experience!!!

Post by aaronmchidester »

I went to the Mariachi Plaza b-show in LA.

I had seen on twitter and Jack's site that he was doing b-shows and had the Rolling Record Store in tow across the country. It had never been all the way to California, so I figured this was my first (only?) chance to see it, and I was DYING for a b-show. I had tickets to see him the second night at the Shrine, but I knew his b-shows were always on the first day. My mom and I hung out in LA until the Rolling Record Store twitter account told us where to go. They set up, we got there. My mom parked the car while I hustled to the truck. I was third in line. I got a Lightning Bolt Blunderbuss, and my mom got there a few minutes later and got herself one as well. We knew based on the tweet that it would be the better part of an hour 'til Jack got there (weird that it was so long between the RRS and Jack's b-show). We saw people already standing near the front of the stage (Mariachi Plaza is a little stage in front of a small courtyard. Mariachi bands play there during the day all the time, or so the LA residents I spoke with told me), so we put the bolts in the car (in a cooler we keep there for heat-sensitive things like records), and rushed to the stage. We ended up on the far-right side (my right, not stage-right), next to the speaker. A mariachi band was playing and we waited. And we waited. I looked around and saw Little Jack (LJ, Jack Lawrence, Mr. J, etc.) standing toward the back of the courtyard. Never got a chance to say hi, but thought it was neat he was there. Eventually, a black van with tinted windows pulls up quick, and Jack gets out with the Peacocks. My mom saw him hand something to a girl in the crowd, and didn't know what it was. She said it looked like a box. They played four songs, then jumped back in the van and left. I never did find out that day what it was he handed her, but we found it on the Interwebz a few days later. That morning, Jack had an interview at the Grammy Museum, and I had desperately wanted tickets to that too, but couldn't get them. There weren't many. Anyway, he had picked up $30,000 in movie prop money (looks seriously legit, unless you see the stamp on one side telling what it really is). He just randomly handed it to the first redhead he saw in the crowd. She blogged about it on Tumblr too. Just google, "Jack White Gave Me $30000."

Then the next morning I got the best email ever sent. It was from Ben Swank. And he informed me of my early entry into Jack's show that night. :D

Best. Weekend. Ever.

:D :D :D

Then this happened. by ishkabibel2001, on Flickr

The Gretsch is a stretch. by ishkabibel2001, on Flickr

Thanks for the photo, Cam! You folks rock. by ishkabibel2001, on Flickr
"It's safe to say somebody out there's got a problem with almost anything you'll do."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

There is already a thread to discuss Jack's B-Shows.

http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... =66&t=6791

Let's merge the two
ymagirl
Little Cream Soda

Post by ymagirl »

this pretty much sums up my Jack White Experience~ http://www.deadweatherdenver.blogspot.c ... h-you.html
jefftp
Little Cream Soda

Post by jefftp »

arewhyehen wrote:There is already a thread to discuss Jack's B-Shows.

Let's merge the two

Id like to keep it separate I like the way this one is going so far. On topic straight to the point, and more specific info then just b shows in general. Thanks for everyone's input so far, this is exactly what I was hoping for. :D
The Dude
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

I'm loving the pictures in this thread
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

jefftp wrote:

Let's merge the two

Id like to keep it separate I like the way this one is going so far. On topic straight to the point, and more specific info then just b shows in general. Thanks for everyone's input so far, this is exactly what I was hoping for. :D
Well, I dunno. I was hoping for more info than "they played four songs, then jumped back in the van and left." :lol:
jefftp
Little Cream Soda

Post by jefftp »

Here's some more info on my experience I forgot to mention. After jack and the peacocks b show Tom Morello did a set with few of his band mates and sang 3 songs. They were using jacks mics and amps and all the other gear was still out so at one point the drummer jumped on Carla's kit and played a song. The crowd had been crouching in front during both the sets. So at the end of toms last song he told the crowd "everyone stand up its time to get rowdy....Dont step on jacks shit tho...it's all color coordinated" I thought it was funny. Toms last song was "this land is your land this land is my land" and when he had everyone stand up he gave the crowd instructions to sing the last verse together as loud as we could and to jump when he gave the word to. It was pretty amazing a huge crowd of people all singing those lyrics out loud, and when Tom said jump the whole crowd started jumping up and down and singing it was so awesome to be a part of something like that.

To aquamarine here's the 4 songs jack and the peacocks played before jumping back in the van lol

1. Love interuption
2. Broken boy soldier
3. Top yourself
4. Hotel yorba

Tom Morellos set list
1. Flesh shapes the day
2. The only way to save yourself is to help save others and save the hammmer for the man written by Ben Harper and Tom morello
3. This land is your land this land is my land written by Woody Guthrie
The Dude
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Nice shot of the gear.
aaronmchidester
Little Bird

Post by aaronmchidester »

Aquamarine wrote:
jefftp wrote:

Let's merge the two

Well, I dunno. I was hoping for more info than "they played four songs, then jumped back in the van and left." :lol:
Sorry. The songs he played at Mariachi Plaza were:

Sixteen Saltines
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Love Interruption
Hotel Yorba

I forgot the order at the time I posted and didn't wanna post them wrong, so I figured I could add them later. :)
"It's safe to say somebody out there's got a problem with almost anything you'll do."
jefftp
Little Cream Soda

Post by jefftp »

Aquamarine wrote:
jefftp wrote:

Let's merge the two

Aquamarine I saw your sn listed under the Omaha Ne b show. Lets hear your story. I don't mean to call you out or put on the spot or anything I just now saw your name listed on the JW tour thread, and I rememberd that you commented here but no story of your experience.
The Dude
ymagirl
Little Cream Soda

Post by ymagirl »

this is a photo of the parking lot where the b-show was being set up. my husband was one of the first people to get there.

they take the 'stage'

you can tell how few people had made it thus far when you look at this versus some of the later photos.

Jack gives a guitar pic to a kid in the front row.

feelin' it.

^ my favorite photo of the day

I call this one 'the stank eye'. we'll chalk it up to black gadgets.

Setlist:
Black Math
Miserlou
Freedom at 21
Ball and Biscuit
jefftp
Little Cream Soda

Post by jefftp »

Awesome pics thanks for adding. Id love to see jacks version of miserlou if there's a video of it out there. Ive always loved that song. I'm gunna check youtube now haha
The Dude
ymagirl
Little Cream Soda

Post by ymagirl »

thanks, I finally had some time to upload them to photobucket. anyways, I know there is video out there of that miserlou performance, you should be able to find it on youtube.
jefftp
Little Cream Soda

Post by jefftp »

I was able to find one like a minute after I posted. Then I spent like an hour watching some of the other b show vids on youtube lol. There is a lot of good ones. I found one were you can see him give the little boy a guitar pick in Denver. It looks like right before he grabs a fresh one out of his guitar case to play with and hands him the used one. I think that's awesome, I was lucky enough to get Dan Auerbachs (the black keys) pick he used for thier main set in la a few years ago. It's all chewed up from the strings and stuff.
The Dude