Voodoo Fest

Worldwide - Since 2012
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Re: Voodoo Fest

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

yeah... its almost like he has reached a new level of attentiveness and resolve when working with fellow musicians and thus his own musicianship has become more consistent and rich with stylistic means to do what he wants when he wants... last night was an intentional blues and jazz night to honor the spirit of Nola... sadly he was playing to that 20something crowd who responded only moderately

he was like 'is this how its gonna be??' .... all i can say is that some of those bands before jack were so bad that they should have stayed home... maybe the audience was so drunk and numb or preoccupied with their own agendas that it took time to feed back to jack what jack needed to be their entertainer... he was punishing them good with Miserlou and stories of his own inner mind being reflected

let me just say that Ikey was like a kid showing off his Christmas Moog through out this entire gig and it was nasty funky to match Jacks many solos and flourishes ... and what a revelation to see Jack stand back and look at the co=creation between Daru and Ikey

thats what i am talkin about when i say he has reached some kind of turning point in his artistry and with his fellow musicians
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

You are spot on with that comment about Ikey, he was going off last night! Also what was that little jam played leading into blue blood blues?
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

theeradicaleclectic wrote: sadly he was playing to that 20something crowd who responded only moderately

he was like 'is this how its gonna be??' .... all i can say is that some of those bands before jack were so bad that they should have stayed home... maybe the audience was so drunk and numb or preoccupied with their own agendas that it took time to feed back to jack what jack needed to be their entertainer... he was punishing them good with Miserlou and stories of his own inner mind being reflected
WTF? The crowd was going insane, that's why he said it, to pump them even higher, and why he said they'd been wonderful at the end.

Maybe the way the stream was filmed was misleading, I don't know, but I was there. And of a dozen or so shows I've seen this tour, that was one of the best. And others who were there will tell you how nuts the crowd was, too.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

we saw a lot of face to face fan shots... there were definitely enthusiastic crowds... my only thought was that there were delayed reaction times when he was asking people to sing along and a few other sorts of things like that... we could tell that there were some fans hamming it up and stoked for Jack's performance but maybe there was a bit of lag time at certain points like the encore

the broadcast may have had something to do with all that but who knows given that i have seen shows when i thought the crowd was into it but the artist seemed to be calling for and wanting more... you can usually tell when the entire crowd is singing along though
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Sometimes these things are down to editing choices, it's true. This time, though, the crowd was definitely one of the more energized.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Great pic of Ikey and Jack in this review! http://www.nola.com/festivals/index.ssf ... st_11.html
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Aquamarine wrote:Sometimes these things are down to editing choices, it's true. This time, though, the crowd was definitely one of the more energized.
what were the temperatures there like?? it seemed like everyone was fully dressed with hats and jackets
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

It was freezing (for N.O.) earlier in the day, though sunny--had warmed up quite a bit by the time Jack ended, don't know if that was a coincidence or not!
fourthhorseman73
Little Bird

Post by fourthhorseman73 »

Just got home from Voodoo Fest. I have to say that Jack's closing of the festival was a truly amazing thing to witness. I was lucky enough to score back stage passes (stage right) and I couldn't have wished for a better position to watch the show. the crowd was fantastic and it looked like they were giving their all for Jack, he really looked pleased with their reaction. He hit everything: Blunderbuss, Dead Weather, White Stripes, Raconteurs, and the crowd ate it up.
If you go lookin’ for hot water Don't act shocked when you get burned a little bit
If you really want some hot water I can help you find it...
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

It was an amazing set. It was the third time I saw him on this tour and it was a great way for me to end my JW shows for the year. The only thing that got me was that the merch booth didnt have the singles, in fact all they had were the shirts.
fourthhorseman73
Little Bird

carlbelvin wrote:The only thing that got me was that the merch booth didnt have the singles, in fact all they had were the shirts.
Yeah, that was a HUGE disappointment, but the show healed my wounds...
If you go lookin’ for hot water Don't act shocked when you get burned a little bit
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

fourthhorseman73 wrote:
carlbelvin wrote:The only thing that got me was that the merch booth didnt have the singles, in fact all they had were the shirts.
Yeah, that was a HUGE disappointment, but the show healed my wounds...

True that, all in all I walked away extremely happy. Had seven nation army stuck in my head all of yesterday.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I rode back to my hotel on a city bus full of people singing 7NA. :lol:
fourthhorseman73
Little Bird

That's awesome, I think he could have had the whole festival singing it (given enough time)
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

the photos from this show are exceptional... Jo is allowing her artistic sensibilities to lead her now

www.jackwhiteiii.com live photos