Jack White @ The Ryman

Worldwide - Since 2012
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Jack White @ The Ryman

Post by rsimms3 »

PugFaceRex wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
ellisintransit wrote:Wow. Tonight is the first time I've taken my triple poster out of the plastic and didn't realize they were numbered.

So they made 275 and only sold 150? Where is the other half?
one half of 275 is 137.5, not 150. maybe you should be asking where is the other (approximate) 45% of the posters!
NEXT!
You're totally cool in person BUT YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE ONLINE.
:shock:
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So, someone please explain this new guitar strap to me. If I'm seeing things correctly in the photos from the show, it appears he used the same style with both the Tele and the Gretsch. As often as he switches guitars, it looks like it would have been awkward as hell to get in and out of.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

Kali Durga wrote:So, someone please explain this new guitar strap to me. If I'm seeing things correctly in the photos from the show, it appears he used the same style with both the Tele and the Gretsch. As often as he switches guitars, it looks like it would have been awkward as hell to get in and out of.
It looked like it straps around his waist and over his right shoulder. I don't know if thats the explanation you were looking for but that's all i know!
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Puggy, you are, as ever, so very, very, very helpful. Have you found a manicurist yet who can paint pugs on my toenails?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Kali Durga wrote:So, someone please explain this new guitar strap to me. If I'm seeing things correctly in the photos from the show, it appears he used the same style with both the Tele and the Gretsch. As often as he switches guitars, it looks like it would have been awkward as hell to get in and out of.
Pug's right. I've never seen a strap like that before. You'd have loved this one point in the concert, Kali. He must've forgotten he had that type of strap and started to take off the guitar as usual but it was still around his waist. So he slid the guitar, strap and all off around his feet. Almost pulled down his pants. haha
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I had to turn a laugh into a cough and ended up choking and now my coworkers want to know if I'm ok. Thanks, Shane.

Now I'm really, really sorry I missed that show at the Ryman...
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Maybe he has a pinched nerve or something in his left shoulder. I think they Getsch weighs about 50lbs so having it on the same shoulder every night would be a strain I suppose. The solid body guitar strap goes over his right shoulder down to the front strap lock, then there's sort of a teather strap that goes from the front strap about 5 inches above his guitar around his back to the lower strap button. Strange for sure.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

As for the picture taking, I am kind of with Jack here. Crappy res pics do nothing for me and it irritates the hell out of me when people have their cameras out during a show. Be in the moment. Concerts were a million times better before camera phones. My exception of course is audio recording. I am all for secretly using audio recording to pass around bootlegs of shows. I guess I picked this up during my brief period following the Grateful Dead. Like the Dead, Jack is one of those artists who is way better live than recorded. So good luck to all you tapers. To you blurry Bigfoot style photographers, get your damn camera out of my face.
Has everything you said today been true?
LaurieAK
Little Acorn

Post by LaurieAK »

I was surprised to see that 'seat belt' for his guitar. Safety first? :D
will_hodge
Little Bird

Post by will_hodge »

Hey guys! I reviewed last night's show for my site. You can check it out, along with some pretty sweet pictures my wife took, here: mysocalledsoundtrack.blogspot.com

Here's one of my favorite photos of the night that she took:

BY the way, for those asking about the strap, it's for the B-Bender on his Tele. Pretty sweet usage of it all night, especially during the solo in Black Math.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

rsimms3 wrote:Maybe he has a pinched nerve or something in his left shoulder. I think they Getsch weighs about 50lbs so having it on the same shoulder every night would be a strain I suppose. The solid body guitar strap goes over his right shoulder down to the front strap lock, then there's sort of a teather strap that goes from the front strap about 5 inches above his guitar around his back to the lower strap button. Strange for sure.
That's an interesting point, actually. He seems to spend a lot of time fidgeting with regular straps where they cross his shoulder. And even with the DW, I noticed a lot of moments between songs when he'd stretch his left arm or rub that side of his neck. Residual issues left over from the slipped disc, perhaps?

will_hodge wrote:BY the way, for those asking about the strap, it's for the B-Bender on his Tele. Pretty sweet usage of it all night, especially during the solo in Black Math.
Wanna explain that for us laymen, por favor? Gracias :)
texascyclone
Little Acorn

Post by texascyclone »

Mock steel guitar bends on the tele
clarence white innovation circa flying burrito byrds days
can be set to bend any 2 strings usually the B and the G
push away for 1 and pull down for the other
very cool effect. search it out
chestnut mare by the Byrds is a great example as is the solo in Tulsa county
by the same Clarence white is long dead but if you have ever seen marty stuarts sunburst tele \
with the double eagle sticker then you have seen the original clarence white/ parsons bender guitar
texascyclone
Little Acorn

Post by texascyclone »

OH and did anyone see his Kids Jammin to 16 saltines in stage right rear Left facing and Karen chasing them
best shot of the night the haed banging white children
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

texascyclone wrote:Mock steel guitar bends on the tele
by the same Clarence white is long dead but if you have ever seen marty stuarts sunburst tele \
with the double eagle sticker then you have seen the original clarence white/ parsons bender guitar
Wow. Good info. Thanks. I had no idea that this even existed. I guess I learned something today.
Has everything you said today been true?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

texascyclone wrote:Mock steel guitar bends on the tele
So how does the strap work with that?