Jack White @ The Roseland NYC - May 21 & 22

Worldwide - Since 2012
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Jack White @ The Roseland NYC - May 21 & 22

Post by Kali Durga »

Maldoror17 wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:Did he use the Gretsch over the past two nights? Thinking back, I don't recall him using it at Gulf Shores.
He didn't use it in Asheville.
The Gretsch spent the majority of last night with Jack's jacket hanging from the headstock. And I don't recall seeing him use it at all on Monday, either.

woodisgood wrote:Fairly close, eh?
Holy shit, indeed! I still can't believe that when that curtain dropped, I somehow managed to get all the way from the rail in front of Carla's drum-kit over to probably less than 10 people back on the left side facing the side stage. Yes, I became that obnoxious fan who worms their way through the crowd, but there was no conscious thought involved, just pure gut reaction. Please don't hate me, it's all Jack's fault.

And I probably should have apologized to the couple over there in front of me with the very young kids who had to listen to me cheering and woo-hooing and singing along (and cussing in amazement once or twice). Ah well. They had a preview of what will happen in ten or fifteen years when their little girl discovers her own Jack White.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
hellosmith
Little Acorn

Post by hellosmith »

I won early entry for last night's show, which was an unbelievable surprise! Was able to get a poster and a spot front and center for the whole concert (until the encore, of course, when they switched stages).

This was my first time seeing Jack live and I did not think I would be surprised, as I've watched many videos of him live, but I was completely blown away, dumb-founded, and star struck. I was laughing in disbelief for a good chunk of the show!
So I don't know if he was on his A-game or not like people have been saying, but for me it was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had. He is even more incredible and talented than I thought he was, and I was totally thrilled to be able to see him live at all. Still can't get over it!
I walked out thinking "I don't care about anything else anymore".
~༼✷ɷ✷༽~
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

hellosmith wrote:I won early entry for last night's show, which was an unbelievable surprise! Was able to get a poster and a spot front and center for the whole concert (until the encore, of course, when they switched stages).

This was my first time seeing Jack live and I did not think I would be surprised, as I've watched many videos of him live, but I was completely blown away, dumb-founded, and star struck. I was laughing in disbelief for a good chunk of the show!
So I don't know if he was on his A-game or not like people have been saying, but for me it was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had. He is even more incredible and talented than I thought he was, and I was totally thrilled to be able to see him live at all. Still can't get over it!
That's how I felt the first time I saw him. Outstanding that we have a Jack White at this point in time. :)
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
hellosmith wrote:I won early entry for last night's show, which was an unbelievable surprise! Was able to get a poster and a spot front and center for the whole concert (until the encore, of course, when they switched stages).

That's how I felt the first time I saw him. Outstanding that we have a Jack White at this point in time. :)
Agreed with all of the above. And, honestly, I sometimes get the feeling that the shows when he's not on what's considered an "A-game" are the better ones, because those are the shows when you're most likely to hear or see something completely unexpected and memorable. While there's no telling what you're going to get when, you definitely picked the right show for your first one.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

Kali Durga wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:

Agreed with all of the above. And, honestly, I sometimes get the feeling that the shows when he's not on what's considered an "A-game" are the better ones, because those are the shows when you're most likely to hear or see something completely unexpected and memorable. While there's no telling what you're going to get when, you definitely picked the right show for your first one.
I agree with you Kali, while jack may or may not have been on his A game is trivial, at the second nyc show i got the feeling that he is waiting for the moment to explode and do something crazy, it is kinda scary as an audience member watching jack cause i have no idea what is coming next. it adds to a level of excitement very few can reach in a live setting. that explode moment came with the encore which literally exploded from a stage i didn't know was even there. crazy stuff
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

hsp88 wrote:... it is kinda scary as an audience member watching jack cause i have no idea what is coming next. it adds to a level of excitement very few can reach in a live setting. ...
And that seems to be exactly what he wants.

Mission accomplished, Jack. What's up your sleeve next?
TRWS75
Little Cream Soda

Post by TRWS75 »

In total agreement with the last few comments. That's why I keep going to see Jack.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Did anyone who went to the show get to hear the Sirius broadcast yet? The dreadful sound was a result of the broadcast, not the performance, right?
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

cwja wrote:Did anyone who went to the show get to hear the Sirius broadcast yet? The dreadful sound was a result of the broadcast, not the performance, right?
I hope so. I didn't enjoy that rip I have heard. Sounds REALLY sloppy.
B2B
Little Bird

Post by B2B »

cwja wrote:Did anyone who went to the show get to hear the Sirius broadcast yet? The dreadful sound was a result of the broadcast, not the performance, right?
Yes. At the soundboard at least the sound was crystal clear.

Awful venue.
nonpareils
Little Bird

Post by nonpareils »

Sound quality wasn't great on the recording, but it didn't seem like it was just that that. Sounded like the way the lyrics were performed was just off sync for awhile before things got going right. It happens during live shows sometimes, no big deal really.
mattrva
Little Bird

Post by mattrva »

shaneoftheroad wrote:

Agreed. I was absolutely blown away on Monday. White is such a professional and so fun at the same time.
And is it just me but when I listen to A.S. they are even better. Damn that girl can belt it.
Photo: http://www.flickr.com/mattphotgraphs
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=mattphotographs

"If I can just hear your pretty voice
I don't think I need to see at all."
oojavaguru
Little Cream Soda

Post by oojavaguru »

I've heard the broadcast now twice, once after I got back from the show and again yesterday morning as I was stuck in traffic. I can tell you personally, as someone who used to record shows on DAT in the 90's, that was one of the worst recorded shows I've ever heard. I'm used to the Westwood One soundboard recordings and I have no idea how this turned out so bad. Sounded like someone was trying to bootleg the show and had their microphone hidden underneath their shirt, hence the "muffled" sound. Personally, if I were Jack White's management team, I'd have SirusXM delete that show and re-record a new show (e.g. Red Rocks) in the future. Because that is embarrassing. I promise it sounded much, much better in person.

On a side note, thanks to everyone I met in line over the 2 days. It was a blast meeting a lot of you, making you all laugh and having fun. If you don't remember me, I am Shawn, the guy with the goatee and glasses. I also handed out the "line numbers" on day 2 using the brown paper bag...heh.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

oojavaguru wrote:Personally, if I were Jack White's management team, I'd have SirusXM delete that show and re-record a new show (e.g. Red Rocks) in the future.
Nonononononono. Crappy quality or not, there were too many moments in that show that I want to remember, and this broadcast is helping me to do so. It makes me happy.
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

oojavaguru wrote:
On a side note, thanks to everyone I met in line over the 2 days. It was a blast meeting a lot of you, making you all laugh and having fun. If you don't remember me, I am Shawn, the guy with the goatee and glasses. I also handed out the "line numbers" on day 2 using the brown paper bag...heh.
Hey Shawn. I had a great time meeting you and going to the brickyard later after the first show. Hope to do it again someday!