Most overrated guitar player list.

snippets and snails
mangry
Little Ghost

Re: Most overrated guitar player list.

Post by mangry »

Stay Gold wrote:
mangry wrote:Jack as a great guitarist has more to do with style, tone, attitude, intensity, and fun more than it does technique. He doesn't deviate from the pentatonic scale....but his sound and style is like no one else. Have you ever tried playing a song or solo with only upstrokes like he frequently does? Guarantee it won't sound as cool! Overrated in terms of technicality, maybe, but not in terms of radness. And y'all are right, holding an audience of thousands singlehandedly is not something to snuff at...Aurbach sure doesn't try that these days.
After Brothers turned them into and arena sized band and them putting out El Camino; it sure doesn't seem like they try much at all these days. I got free tickets to see them on their last tour and there was a huge disconnect between them and the audience. Other than the 2 or 3 commercial hits and I Got Mine as the finale, a large portion of the crowd was just there riding along not really into it.
My friends caught them at Bridgestone and were super let down by BK's set as well, especially following an epic set by the Lips. They said that BK just weren't moving the audience there either.
Hyperbole used for effect!
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

mangry wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
mangry wrote:Jack as a great guitarist has more to do with style, tone, attitude, intensity, and fun more than it does technique. He doesn't deviate from the pentatonic scale....but his sound and style is like no one else. Have you ever tried playing a song or solo with only upstrokes like he frequently does? Guarantee it won't sound as cool! Overrated in terms of technicality, maybe, but not in terms of radness. And y'all are right, holding an audience of thousands singlehandedly is not something to snuff at...Aurbach sure doesn't try that these days.
After Brothers turned them into and arena sized band and them putting out El Camino; it sure doesn't seem like they try much at all these days. I got free tickets to see them on their last tour and there was a huge disconnect between them and the audience. Other than the 2 or 3 commercial hits and I Got Mine as the finale, a large portion of the crowd was just there riding along not really into it.
My friends caught them at Bridgestone and were super let down by BK's set as well, especially following an epic set by the Lips. They said that BK just weren't moving the audience there either.
I was at that show and I agree. BK were boring as hell. Played the same set they had in 120+ shows. Way worse than when I saw them in 2004 or so. Yawn....
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

curseofhalos wrote:
mangry wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
I was at that show and I agree. BK were boring as hell. Played the same set they had in 120+ shows. Way worse than when I saw them in 2004 or so. Yawn....
I honestly don't understand how it could possibly be fun for them to play the same songs in the same order for so long. Its been this way for 3 or 4 years now. And they are a band that has a large catalogue to choose from that would translate well live. Until the switch things up and put out music that doesnt sound like lonely boy, howlin for you, tighten up, or that poor man's version of mary jane's last dance/stairway to heaven called Little Black Submarines; I won't bother with them. Its a shame because I saw Dan play a solo gig at a little burger joint near the beach and it was one of the raddest performances.