Jack White is Record Store Day Ambassador

snippets and snails
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Re: Jack White is Record Store Day Ambassador

Post by DeeBee »

Alabama Woody wrote:So RSD and 4/20 are the same day? Should be a National Holiday!
RSD: Record Store Day / Recreational Smoking Daze.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Just because he is Ambassador I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Jack White show or anything, they just don't have the room in the Blue room to accomodate the amount of people that will be there. Maybe he could sneak out and hook up to the truck. Hopefully somebody will play. I just would not think that Jack will be sitting out there signing autographs and playing music, he would get mobbed, he does not like getting mobbed.

I hope I'm wrong.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Being RSD Ambassador is about more than just TMR.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

I'd be happy with a button and patch of the RSD Ambassador/jack White image. (Woody's avatar for reference)
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Alabama Woody wrote:Just because he is Ambassador I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Jack White show or anything, they just don't have the room in the Blue room to accomodate the amount of people that will be there. Maybe he could sneak out and hook up to the truck. Hopefully somebody will play. I just would not think that Jack will be sitting out there signing autographs and playing music, he would get mobbed, he does not like getting mobbed.

I hope I'm wrong.
A show would be nice, but there are many ways it could happen. Record Store Day is a national (multinational?) event, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be at TMR, or even in Nashville. He could go to a bigger city that has more than three record stores (if such a place still exists), and then announce that there will be a 'secret show' at one of them, without saying which one. Then play an acoustic set for maybe 20 or 30 minutes at one store, by surprise (well, the store owners would know about it a bit ahead), and then head to another store or two and do something similar. That would mix things up in a fun way, and draw people to their local record stores, for sure. But yeah, that might be hoping for too much.
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

DeeBee wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:Just because he is Ambassador I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Jack White show or anything, they just don't have the room in the Blue room to accomodate the amount of people that will be there. Maybe he could sneak out and hook up to the truck. Hopefully somebody will play. I just would not think that Jack will be sitting out there signing autographs and playing music, he would get mobbed, he does not like getting mobbed.

I hope I'm wrong.
A show would be nice, but there are many ways it could happen. Record Store Day is a national (multinational?) event, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be at TMR, or even in Nashville. He could go to a bigger city that has more than three record stores (if such a place still exists), and then announce that there will be a 'secret show' at one of them, without saying which one. Then play an acoustic set for maybe 20 or 30 minutes at one store, by surprise (well, the store owners would know about it a bit ahead), and then head to another store or two and do something similar. That would mix things up in a fun way, and draw people to their local record stores, for sure. But yeah, that might be hoping for too much.
You shut your mouth! Just kidding. That would be really cool. But I would rather see him at TMR doing his thing, whether or not it was likely. Why do you have to be giving them good ideas when it takes Jack away from the TMR crowd? :P
Has everything you said today been true?
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

sandmaniac3 wrote: You shut your mouth! Just kidding. That would be really cool. But I would rather see him at TMR doing his thing, whether or not it was likely. Why do you have to be giving them good ideas when it takes Jack away from the TMR crowd? :P
I doubt very much that they pay any attention to our ideas here; and even if they did, it would only be for the perverse purpose of ignoring them and doing something completely different instead. :lol:
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

DeeBee wrote:
sandmaniac3 wrote: You shut your mouth! Just kidding. That would be really cool. But I would rather see him at TMR doing his thing, whether or not it was likely. Why do you have to be giving them good ideas when it takes Jack away from the TMR crowd? :P
I doubt very much that they pay any attention to our ideas here; and even if they did, it would only be for the perverse purpose of ignoring them and doing something completely different instead. :lol:
ha ha... too true
Has everything you said today been true?
ThirdManiac
Little Bird

Post by ThirdManiac »

Anybody care to speculate on the vinyl being made in the video? I would guess it is the TMR RSD releases. That last part looked like White Stripes vinyl labels to me, so more reissues? Please don't tell me everyone already knows and I missed it.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

You mean this label, the one on the self-titled WS album?

URP was probably pressing more for stock. And the records that Jack lifted off of the presses earlier in the video could have been any of hundreds of things. They were just records. It doesn't matter what records they were, the point of the video was to get people excited about slapping vinyl on a turntable, not to get them speculating about TMR's RSD releases.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:You mean this label, the one on the self-titled WS album?

URP was probably pressing more for stock. And the records that Jack lifted off of the presses earlier in the video could have been any of hundreds of things. They were just records. It doesn't matter what records they were, the point of the video was to get people excited about slapping vinyl on a turntable, not to get them speculating about TMR's RSD releases.
haha, yes. thank you. One thing I don't like about this forum at times is that people seem to analyze every little thing jack says or does as if he secretly plants a hidden meaning into everything he does. Just sit back, relax and enjoy life. No need to try and figure out his next move or what he's about to do. We will all hear about it when it happens.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

It's not just this forum, it's also the LR, the Vault, Tumblr, and half the Jack White fans out there on the rest of the internet. And it's not terribly surprising because Jack does plant a lot of meaning into much of what he does. But not every single thing. To paraphrase that thing that Freud supposedly said, "Sometimes a record is just a record".
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:It's not just this forum, it's also the LR, the Vault, Tumblr, and half the Jack White fans out there on the rest of the internet. And it's not terribly surprising because Jack does plant a lot of meaning into much of what he does. But not every single thing. To paraphrase that thing that Freud supposedly said, "Sometimes a record is just a record".
haha, well said
nrssab
Little Acorn

Post by nrssab »

Kali Durga wrote:You mean this label, the one on the self-titled WS album?

They showed some really cool pink/white splatter vinyl being pressed. I doubt it's some TMR release but I'm curious about knowing what it could be. Have never seen a vinyl like that before.
"If you can hear a piano fall, you can hear me coming down the hall".
luccamezz
Little Cream Soda

Post by luccamezz »

About 1:37 on the video, Jack passes by many yellow/black sleeves. Am I the only one who thinks those are the Jack White and The Bricks LP from the next Vault package? :)
A Woman is more powerful than a man and this I know, and I think that you know this too.