Jack Playing the 55th Grammy's!

snippets and snails
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Re: Jack Playing the 55th Grammy's!

Post by Aquamarine »

dreamover wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:He's hurled his guitar around (or hit the drums with it) many times before--it was a planned dramatic ending. He couldn't have been pissed about the awards because the big one was still to come.
he had already lost two to the black keys. the big one had the black keys and obviously more competition. (mumford won)
That's still not why he tossed the guitar. He's not that ridiculous and/or childish enough to do that on a major national broadcast like the Grammys.

Which is also why he didn't say "fuck" in LI.
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Aquamarine wrote:
dreamover wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:He's hurled his guitar around (or hit the drums with it) many times before--it was a planned dramatic ending. He couldn't have been pissed about the awards because the big one was still to come.
he had already lost two to the black keys. the big one had the black keys and obviously more competition. (mumford won)
That's still not why he tossed the guitar. He's not that ridiculous and/or childish enough to do that on a major national broadcast like the Grammys.

Jack has done the hitting the drums with his guitar thing at a couple of the shows I've been to. Check out the last few live photos from the 2nd November Alexandra Palace show. It's a performance thing.
Patient B1003
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

grumblestiltskin wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:
dreamover wrote:

Jack has done the hitting the drums with his guitar thing at a couple of the shows I've been to. Check out the last few live photos from the 2nd November Alexandra Palace show. It's a performance thing.
And what a performance it was! Usually it seems he gets more like that when he is having a good time and really getting into it.
Has everything you said today been true?
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

grumblestiltskin wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:
dreamover wrote:

That's what I'm saying. It was a planned, rehearsed move, not something he did in a fit of childish pique.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

While I agree that it was not likely done out of anger or pique, I doubt that it was planned. I think that he does things like that entirely on impulse when he's caught up in the moment. If the music's making him feel aggressive, then whatever instrument is near to hand just might suffer the consequences.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I bet you my inverted bolt he was planning to do that at the end, whether or not he told anybody (e.g. Katy Perry :D ). If it was a full-length show of his own, where he'd built up a head of steam, then I'd go with the spontaneous explanation, but not a high-profile, highly rehearsed slot on the Grammys.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Since when is Jack highly rehearsed? ;) I'm sure he rehearsed, of course, but I could easily imagine him winging that ending. I don't think it takes that much to get him amped up enough for something like that.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

For that slot on the Grammys, he was rehearsed--they have to get the timing, the staging--hell, the fact that he's bouncing from one band to another! Like I said, he may not have told anybody else he was going to throw the guitar on the broadcast, but I'm sure he had it planned--wake people up, make a statement, etc. No way to know, of course, but as always I'm convinced I'm right. :)
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Kali Durga wrote:While I agree that it was not likely done out of anger or pique, I doubt that it was planned. I think that he does things like that entirely on impulse when he's caught up in the moment. If the music's making him feel aggressive, then whatever instrument is near to hand just might suffer the consequences.
+1
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

CBS execs address the "fight/fuck" kerfuffle:
http://www.nme.com/news/jack-white/68641
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/fe ... te-grammys

Also, another short interview clip, with the L.A. Times:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jebK6PMUnDs
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
mhcox
Little Cream Soda

Post by mhcox »

Throughout the next couple decades, I believe Jack will have some Grammy performances that many people will remember for the rest of their lives. I can't wait!
when roles are reversed, opinions are too.
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

mhcox wrote:Throughout the next couple decades, I believe Jack will have some Grammy performances that many people will remember for the rest of their lives. I can't wait!
Yeah I think he has reached the point to where any year he has a major release he will be there. Especially when you see his live performances are lightyears ahead of pretty much everyone else. And hopefully the grammys realize they need to have more raw rock music be represented instead of bands like coldplay, mumford and sons, or muse be the "rock" bands every single year
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stay Gold wrote:
mhcox wrote:Throughout the next couple decades, I believe Jack will have some Grammy performances that many people will remember for the rest of their lives. I can't wait!
Yeah I think he has reached the point to where any year he has a major release he will be there. Especially when you see his live performances are lightyears ahead of pretty much everyone else. And hopefully the grammys realize they need to have more raw rock music be represented instead of bands like coldplay, mumford and sons, or muse be the "rock" bands every single year
First off, I enjoyed Mumford and think they are a pretty stellar band. They've got their own thing going on..

Second, hopefully now that everyone has seen Jack perform and really enjoyed it, they will remember that incredible energy when they see his name on the ballot again, rather than just voting for the song they heard most on the radio..
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

arewhyehen wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
First off, I enjoyed Mumford and think they are a pretty stellar band. They've got their own thing going on..

Second, hopefully now that everyone has seen Jack perform and really enjoyed it, they will remember that incredible energy when they see his name on the ballot again, rather than just voting for the song they heard most on the radio..
I was just going to say that about the voting. The people who vote do not research this stuff. They are not all experts. They just happen to get a ballot and fill it out with whatever names they remember hearing a lot in the news that year. There are obviously exceptions to this, but it does happen a lot. I may not care for electronic music all that much, but look at what happened with the nominees there. The people making good, popular music in that genre were completely ignored in favor of names that people recognized. Don't even get me started on that Al Walser nomination.

But Jack killing it like that should help people remember him and the fact that he was the one rocking the hardest in the rock category.

As for Mumford and Sons...I like that one song that they do, so it is good that all of their other songs sound exactly like that one. I am actually a big fan of the British Folk movement, that also produced great artists like Laura Marling. I just think the Mumford group got a little too big, too quickly and it has stunted their growth. Hopefully they can overcome that.
Has everything you said today been true?
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Mumford and Sons to me kind of just feels like really easy to digest folk music.
There's just something to them that seem cheap and disingenuous.
Maybe I should look a bit harder, but that's what I get from surface value.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”