Evolving or Revolving Band? Speculation on Jacks Bands

snippets and snails
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Evolving or Revolving Band? Speculation on Jacks Bands

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

We have begun to hear about both bands being on stage at the same time and I wondered if any of you had some thoughts on how the bands might begin to morph or evolve as the musicians begin to mingle and play together casually as friends.... For now lets just say that this is a 'siting' thread for when these kinds of things do happen but ultimately this concept is not really limited to just Buzzards or Peacocks when you get down to it... its about musicians and styles...

Im looking forward to hearing Ruby sing with the Buzzards and hearing more acoustic crossover with Lillie May and Corey and Dom on the banjo...

So... if you have a song you think they would all sound good on or if you recently saw them all playing together then please do tell... thanks
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Re: Evolving or Revolving Band? Speculation on Jacks Bands

Post by runofthemill »

They need to keep the two bands separate, yet together and play two different songs at the same time. Now if Jack could just learn to sing two different songs at the same moments, then you could have twice the concert in half the time!
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

The Buzz-cocks.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

yeah... the Buzz-cocks definitely have been on my mind throughout this go round but i thought it was some sort of reaction i was having to Daniel Pujol's sound

i have to admit that the American Express capture at Third Man Records really sort of made all these ideas warm up in my brain though

DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Too bad the name 'Buzzcocks' is already taken. "The Peazards" doesn't have quite the same ring.

About the bands possibly merging - a dozen musicians would definitely be too many people to have on stage all at the same time, all the time. But he has talked a number of times about the added difficulty and expense of having two separate bands touring. He has said that he thinks it's been worth it; but I still have to wonder how viable that is in the long run. What might work is to take a couple of musicians from each of those two bands, and form a single band for the next tour or whatever. Just my own personal preferences, but it seems to me that he's got too many people on stage with him now. I really think two people was ideal, when it was TWS. But now that he's doing a "solo" tour then maybe a backing band of three or four people total would work well. It's just too hard to keep track of all his bandmates as it is now, it's distracting and it seems to muddy the sound a bit, too. Just my opinion, whatever.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
Thallirn
Little Bird

Post by Thallirn »

DeeBee wrote:Too bad the name 'Buzzcocks' is already taken. "The Peazards" doesn't have quite the same ring.

About the bands possibly merging - a dozen musicians would definitely be too many people to have on stage all at the same time, all the time. But he has talked a number of times about the added difficulty and expense of having two separate bands touring. He has said that he thinks it's been worth it; but I still have to wonder how viable that is in the long run. What might work is to take a couple of musicians from each of those two bands, and form a single band for the next tour or whatever. Just my own personal preferences, but it seems to me that he's got too many people on stage with him now. I really think two people was ideal, when it was TWS. But now that he's doing a "solo" tour then maybe a backing band of three or four people total would work well. It's just too hard to keep track of all his bandmates as it is now, it's distracting and it seems to muddy the sound a bit, too. Just my opinion, whatever.
A dozen musicians has worked more than once... not counting orchestras. And Cory Younts comes from a background of bands with a half dozen plus musicians(Damned Ol' Tennessee Boys, Justin Townes Earle, Old Crow Medicine Show, the last Railroad Revival Tour... ) Honestly I'd love to see a giant jack white jam band session.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

+12 for Thallirn ... thanks for bringing the simple truth to the table on this one

fact is that Lillie Mae played the Lyons set with the Buzzards the other night ... no reason to limit the sound that becomes Jacks inspiration in my book... we can agree that Meg was a strong bond for Jack to rely on in his formative years but at this point there is no denying that he has a much more complex vocabulary in his mind's eye from which to construct the future of his music

something very organic about allowing the musicians to move into the working groups that they feel comfortable creating with in my view and especially when it comes to Lillie Mae working closely with Corey and Fats because that sound might become its own Third Man Flavor
Bob_Roberts
Little Cream Soda

Post by Bob_Roberts »

Thallirn wrote:
DeeBee wrote:Too bad the name 'Buzzcocks' is already taken. "The Peazards" doesn't have quite the same ring.

A dozen musicians has worked more than once... not counting orchestras. And Cory Younts comes from a background of bands with a half dozen plus musicians(Damned Ol' Tennessee Boys, Justin Townes Earle, Old Crow Medicine Show, the last Railroad Revival Tour... ) Honestly I'd love to see a giant jack white jam band session.
Imagine for a second Jack White going down the Levon Helm path and doing something like the Midnight Ramble?
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Bob_Roberts wrote:
Thallirn wrote:

Imagine for a second Jack White going down the Levon Helm path and doing something like the Midnight Ramble?

They rented a large, pink house where they wrote and rehearsed new material. Woodstock residents called them “the band,” so they kept the moniker. The name “The Band” fit. The sound was no frills rock and roll but far from simplistic. They fused every musical influence they were exposed to over the years as individuals and as a unit. The result was brilliant. Their development as musicians was perfected by years of playing. Living together at “Big Pink” allowed complete collaboration of their artistic expression. Americana and folklore themes, heart-wrenching ballads filled with naked emotion, majestic harmonies, hard driving rhythms, and exquisite instrumentation made critics, peers and fans realize that this music was unlike any heard before.

The barn and studio Helm built in Woodstock, which became his permanent home, was just about complete in 1975. He invited Muddy Waters to his new studio and they recorded Muddy Waters in Woodstock. To the delight of everyone involved, it won a Grammy. The intimacy of the shows performed at Levon’s hearth offered a hospitality and warmth found in no other venue, not to mention the excellence of the performances themselves, hosted by a man whose gifts were truly legendary. Though always an enthusiastic and passionate performer, with sheer joy and gratitude, he effortlessly captivated his audience, young and old, with a rhythmic power all his own. Levon Helm nurtured a tradition of professionalism with a deep respect for his craft and remained refreshingly genuine in a world that often compromised integrity. He was a master storyteller who wove his tales with the magic thread of universality that ties us all. He beckoned us to come in, sit awhile and enjoy. We see ourselves in his stories and we are home.
... D. LoBue 2012

www.levonhelm.com
Thallirn
Little Bird

Post by Thallirn »

Bob_Roberts wrote:
Thallirn wrote:

Fuck. Yes.
thirdtesla
Little Cream Soda

Post by thirdtesla »

I'd like to see The Buzzards with Peacock's keys player and Ruby on background Vox. Just my two cents. Maybe even throw in the Peacock's slide player. Pretty much the strongest players from both bands.
My Friends are all Dying and Death can't Be Lying... It's the Truth, and It Don't Make A Noise-'White Moon', THE White Stripes
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

I think post-blunderbuss we'll have just the one band. The current set up is a cool gimmick, and makes it absolutely worth going to see both nights in one town but it just doesn't seem sustainable. Also, various band members have all sorts of commitments - Carla Azar has another band (Autolux), the lady bass player (forget her name - Bryn?) is having a baby etc etc

I'm also interested to see how Jack works the gender split at the Alexandra Palace shows. It's pretty much a given that Alison will join Jack and co on stage during the show the Kills are supporting...but will she be joining the buzzards or the peacocks? Peacocks would keep the all-female thing, but there would certainly be sparks if she were the only woman on stage...
Patient B1003
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

grumblestiltskin wrote:I think post-blunderbuss we'll have just the one band. The current set up is a cool gimmick, and makes it absolutely worth going to see both nights in one town but it just doesn't seem sustainable. Also, various band members have all sorts of commitments - Carla Azar has another band (Autolux), the lady bass player (forget her name - Bryn?) is having a baby etc etc

I'm also interested to see how Jack works the gender split at the Alexandra Palace shows. It's pretty much a given that Alison will join Jack and co on stage during the show the Kills are supporting...but will she be joining the buzzards or the peacocks? Peacocks would keep the all-female thing, but there would certainly be sparks if she were the only woman on stage...
Allison has been at other shows and not played...
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
shteev
Little Ghost

Post by shteev »

Stl_ben wrote:
grumblestiltskin wrote:I think post-blunderbuss we'll have just the one band. The current set up is a cool gimmick, and makes it absolutely worth going to see both nights in one town but it just doesn't seem sustainable. Also, various band members have all sorts of commitments - Carla Azar has another band (Autolux), the lady bass player (forget her name - Bryn?) is having a baby etc etc

Allison has been at other shows and not played...
Yup...she was at the chatt show and didn't play...what a way that would have been to start the touring...
I could be wronga,,,I could be rright.
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Bummer.
Patient B1003