WTF Podcast with Marc Maron Interview

snippets and snails
TheHen0
Little Ghost

WTF Podcast with Marc Maron Interview

Post by TheHen0 »

Just got this link from a friend:
http://www.wtfpod.com/dispatches/entrie ... n_dont_die
As fun as Bonnaroo was, I had three goals when I was in Tennessee: eat Prince's Chicken, don't die, interview Jack White...
...I knew I was going to interview Jack on Sunday and, come Saturday, I had one more chance to beat the chicken.
...When I got to Third Man Records to interview Jack White all I was hoping was the chicken, now attacking me from the inside, would not disrupt the talk. It didn’t, not too badly. I rode out a bit of pain but kept it to myself. It was great...
...Talk later. I have to go to the bathroom
Sounds like the interview will be broadcast soon.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Re: WTF Podcast with Marc Maron Interview

Post by woodisgood »

In my opinion, this podcast is an absolute must-hear. Wow wow wow . . . such good stuff in it.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

woodisgood wrote:In my opinion, this podcast is an absolute must-hear. Wow wow wow . . . such good stuff in it.
i have to agree and think it might be an even better read once transcribed... the bit about analogue vs. digital was essential
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

And to hear him so relaxed, jovial, at ease . . . goddamn. Great interview. Marc Maron did a kickass job.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

woodisgood wrote:And to hear him so relaxed, jovial, at ease . . . goddamn. Great interview. Marc Maron did a kickass job.
i know... i gotta agree and i am reposting my response elsewhere considering the depth and range of what i already was thinking... seldom do i duplicate posts site to site but this situation seems best suited for it as it is for you because you are so on point
honestly...it feels good to not hear facades go up or artiface as if Jack needed to protect himself

the ease of sharing his ideas in a recorded setting is growing in such a way that its clear he is not second guessing himself in this in any way whether it be sharing what he learned from his dad and his family as mentors or how Nashville has created new home/family where the band members are aunts and uncles who bring cousins

the most beautiful parts of this exchange were the details of recording analogue as a continuous line on paper contrasted with the lifting of a pen and how it scatters ones attentive focus as well as the wisdom of touring every 2 weeks as a part of growing with kids through your own moments and knowing that if youre not there its missed

not to mention the fascination involved in hearing Maron draw the personal connections of the Blues Greats out of Jack in such a way that he visualized them and personalized how it must have felt for them to bring their very human moments of experience and knowing to the music industry sterility of abstraction in the form of gristle&grit to sound

there was a lot of unfettered humor which was pretty wonderful...this Maron guy knows the value of easy exchange
Last edited by theeradicaleclectic on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Love WTF, and thought this was another great Podcast from him.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
vitamin3
Little Bird

Post by vitamin3 »

Jack killed it here.
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Haven't heard this one yet, but IMO, WTF is one of the best podcasts out there, I never missed an episode for quite a while, then it blew up and started coming twice a week and I just didn't have time to keep up... this is definitely one I want to listen to though, Maron is a great interviewer...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ You have to make the time for this one. One of Jack's best interviews ever. More a conversation than an interview, really. I didn't know what to think of Maron at the beginning, but realized halfway through that he really is good at drawing his subject out.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Kali Durga wrote:^^ You have to make the time for this one. One of Jack's best interviews ever. More a conversation than an interview, really. I didn't know what to think of Maron at the beginning, but realized halfway through that he really is good at drawing his subject out.
Just downloaded it and plan on listening to it on my drive home from work tonight. His 'interviews' usually tend to be more like conversations between friends than interviews.
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Oh, and why the heck can't all of Jack's interviews be an hour long? That's one of the other things that makes this one so terrific. Fewer, longer interviews of this calibre, I could go for that.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."