Jack's Website

snippets and snails
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Re: JW's Intro to his web page

Post by orangeshoeskid »

jrfhoutx wrote:Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics...
As someone in school and nearly completed with an education major (to be an elementary school teacher), I do take slight offense to that statement, however, lots of my classmates are complete idiots.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
jrfhoutx wrote:Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics...
As someone in school and nearly completed with an education major (to be an elementary school teacher), I do take slight offense to that statement, however, lots of my classmates are complete idiots.
AMEN.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

jrfhoutx wrote:I used to go to the movies all the time (I no longer do because of work and the terrible twos, not because I don't like the movies anymore), and I learned very quickly that the opinions of critics are garbage.
Totally agree.
jrfhoutx wrote: They pay too much attention to minute details and not enough time just enjoying the film.
To me, music critics are the same way, too many of them over analyze everything and don't just enjoy the music.
It's really hard, once one finds themselves so completely entrenched in a particular art, to let go and view the art with which they're associated, objectively. There are times I wish I could listen to new music without completely dissecting it, picking out every damn nuance. I still can, but it's typically only after I'm incredibly familiar with the music.
orangeshoeskid wrote:
It's an old, tired adage. My wife's a teacher, and works harder than anyone I've ever met; myself included.
So you know, I don't take offense to any of what you said, jrfhoutx; many people who don't know the work teachers actually put in, feel the same way.
And yes, I can certainly "do," but was a music critic for a bit. It was an honor to do so, but I my approach was also self-aware; it was just an opinion, and I tried to always make that clear.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
It's not meant at all as disrespectful towards teachers, I have many friends who are teachers, and my sister taught high school until she made department head this year, I have a great deal of respect for teachers. I think the point is misunderstood, and I'm not going to try and explain myself, simply because I don't think I'll get my point across, just dig my grave deeper... I'll just say its not meant to belittle or criticize educators.
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

jrfhoutx wrote:
orangeshoeskid wrote:
It's not meant at all as disrespectful towards teachers, I have many friends who are teachers, and my sister taught high school until she made department head this year, I have a great deal of respect for teachers. I think the point is misunderstood, and I'm not going to try and explain myself, simply because I don't think I'll get my point across, just dig my grave deeper... I'll just say its not meant to belittle or criticize educators.
No problem. I didn't really take much offense to it, but I hear it quite often and it usually is meant in an offensive way.
Sorry for the slight derailment, back the JW's intro page..
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

one of the four is just a fan being honest on twitter, not a critic
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

dcmak5 wrote:one of the four is just a fan being honest on twitter, not a critic
...everyone's a critic...
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

if you're voicing an opinion, yes
which I'd hope everyone is. otherwise, what a waste
Hans_ka
Little Acorn

Post by Hans_ka »

After the tour go finished, I forgot he had a web page.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Hans_ka wrote:After the tour go finished, I forgot he had a web page.
+1 :oops:
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I was the same way, had not looked at the page in a long time. Once the tour ended and the record had been out a while I quit checking his site.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

This has been there for over a year and there is even already a thread talking about:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6718&p=127668&hili ... an#p127668
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Stl_ben wrote:This has been there for over a year and there is even already a thread talking about:
Right. But . . . I think new ones were added since that discussion. Hence these posts . . .
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

woodisgood wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:This has been there for over a year and there is even already a thread talking about:
Right. But . . . I think new ones were added since that discussion. Hence these posts . . .
Nope same ones. See this yet another thread discussing the intro page for discussion of these same quotes:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=5762&hilit=jackwhi ... 45#p139717
Last edited by Stl_ben on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Sorry about that. I can't remember last month much less a year ago. I do think it will be the first time some of our members see it. Maybe the first time they have seen that site.
Not a total waste of bandwidth............. :D
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody