Re: Blunderbuss Listening Party

Post by Aquamarine »

And?
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

it was good to see all those happy faces grinnin ear to ear really

even more to the point i am certain that i have heard no tone of dissatisfaction or disappointment from anyone which is relieving even though i had full confidence in Jack and his production qualities

anyone care to elaborate on the cupcakes or what was there to drink??

can anyone talk tempo to me?? thats a big issue for how i like to assess sound and tone of the content... 4/4 time or lots of change ups... feel free at your leisure once you are done having a mild freak out fun fest in the Nash!!! you know we will be all ears

i welcome PMs that talk about particular songs and have some art to share

As for Shane... yeah... i made a concious decision to wait for the detailed and highly articulate descriptions to show up here after hanging out in the little room for some interesting banter and conjecture with imagery which is always fun
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
drummintodabeat
Little Acorn

Post by drummintodabeat »

elduderino wrote:well, that was a lot of fun.
I wanna do that again. Good times. It was also great meeting the folks that came from long distances.

But seriously, Blunderbuss is phenomenal!!! Every track provided something unique and fresh with plenty of good ole' JW goodness mixed in as well. Incredible song structures, time signatures...the whole works. Lovely piano work on the album as well. Every song was a toe-tapper. Can not wait to hear Blunderbuss again.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

Was there a lot of collaboration like there is in Love Interruption? Or is it actually solo material?
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

hawke000 wrote:Was there a lot of collaboration like there is in Love Interruption? Or is it actually solo material?
How much collaboration was there on LI? Sure, there are hired guns, but if Jack wrote all of it, it's still solo, as far as I'm concerned.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Does it rock at all?
drummintodabeat
Little Acorn

Post by drummintodabeat »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Does it rock at all?
Hellz yeah...it does.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

picking up where ben left off - album is very keyboard driven. and i'm not saying it like that's a bad thing. and definately a tale of two halves. side a is bad jack. maybe even angry jack. a few very heavy tunes sandwhiching love interruption, which is kind a disconcerting. hypocritcal kiss was a song i liked a lot - big piano stuff going on here. dying to know who's playing it. side b is happy jack! you can hear lots of influences of his - second track i think wanda's whispering in his ear. the song on and on and on is totally beatles-influenced. very trippy magical mystery tourish.

i thought the album was great and not at all what i expected. and i'm not sure what i expected. what i didn't want was a stripes album without meg, and this definately was not that. of course, afterward, ben blackwell wouldn't tell us who played on the record, but he did allow that there were a LOT of people on it.

the "lounge" area at TMR is badass. i can't even really figure out how to describe it. retro, of course, cool little kitchen area which was loaded with snacks for us (no cupcakes dammit!), jack's dental office was there, but door was closed. the listening area was very comfortable. nice hi-fi equipment. mcintosh and bryston stuff, the yellow pro-ject debut iii. lots and lots of dead animals. i'll never get the attraction to taxidermy.

all in all, it was a blast. very fun time, very good record and the whole gang at TMR, as always, were just as pleasant as can be. subpopfan - if you read this, thanks again for all the shenanigans today. and tell swank the same!

[edit] = decided to remove some stuff. no big deal.
Last edited by elduderino on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
he is everything i hate...
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Cool. I think you painted a good picture there, man. I feel like I get what happened today. And one last time (all together now) "Lucky, lucky bastards." ;)
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

mojoryan wrote:
hawke000 wrote:Was there a lot of collaboration like there is in Love Interruption? Or is it actually solo material?
How much collaboration was there on LI? Sure, there are hired guns, but if Jack wrote all of it, it's still solo, as far as I'm concerned.
I meant is Jack singing only, I want Jack bob dylan style circa 1963 solo. The band behind him, I don't care, it's the singing and expressing solo that I'm looking forward to. He's always been the "invisible man." I'm glad he's finally showing himself, pretty awesome.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

hawke000 wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
I meant is Jack singing only, I want Jack bob dylan style circa 1963 solo. The band behind him, I don't care, it's the singing and expressing solo that I'm looking forward to. He's always been the "invisible man." I'm glad he's finally showing himself, pretty awesome.
yeah, he's mostly singing solo, a few songs there's a duet going on.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

elduderino wrote:
hawke000 wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
killer thanks for the update from today. When I heard the first single I really liked it but I felt a LITTLE cheaped out (my own fault) since it's a duet and all. I'm really looking forward to this.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

hawke000 wrote:
elduderino wrote:
hawke000 wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
killer thanks for the update from today. When I heard the first single I really liked it but I felt a LITTLE cheaped out (my own fault) since it's a duet and all. I'm really looking forward to this.
closest thing i can compare this record to is GBMS. and for me, that ain't a bad thing. this is mostly due to all the keyboards, i suppose.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

elduderino wrote:
hawke000 wrote:
elduderino wrote:
hawke000 wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
closest thing i can compare this record to is GBMS. and for me, that ain't a bad thing. this is mostly due to all the keyboards, i suppose.
BIG BIG fan of GBMS. Especially due to the backstory and process of recording that album, it was his most personal to date (minus this one I'm assuming) REALLY looking forward to it now.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Man, I thought I was excited before... Between the cover art, track listing, and all the comparisons to Satan, April 24th can NOT come too soon now.

I think I both agree and disagree with hawke about the duets. The way Jack's grown as a vocalist over the years blows me away and I'm amazed at how every new thing that's come from him this year has been so very different-- from the Rome tracks, to the Hank Williams tune, to the Love Is Blindness cover and, now, to Love Interruption, the emotive and stylistic range he shows these days is pretty incredible. Even screeching away on the early Stripes stuff, it was obvious that he was very aware of how to use his voice, and that ability has just increased tremendously. And, man, there's just something about the timbre of his voice that I can't get enough of.

But I also love how his voice blends with other singers. He sounds wonderful with anyone, male or female. Which, again, is an indication of the skill with which he uses his voice. So I'm looking forward to hearing both solo and duet vocal tracks on this album.

Thanks for the info, Floyd & Ben :) Can't wait to hear from everyone else.

Is it April 24th yet?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."