Blunderbuss Listening Party

snippets and snails
DasaniYoni

Re: Blunderbuss Listening Party

Post by DasaniYoni »

ellisintransit wrote:I have some stuff to input here. They did play the album through the McIntosh audio player and amp. I caught a glimpse of the running time on the display before they pressed play, and it is 43:57. 7 songs on side A, 6 on side B. Catalog number is TMR-139. Back cover is a photo of Jack standing in front of a Nashville Electric Service Substation with white brick, which looks to be about the same style of brick as Third Man HQ.

What everyone else has said about the sound of the album is pretty dead on. If you like Jack's musical style in general you are going to love it. GBMS is definitely the point of comparison, but I think mostly because of the keys. The piano work on the whole album really stood out to me. Love Interruption is the only song with no percussion or drums, and a couple of the tunes had hand clap sections. That classic Jack whammy sound on the solos is there, and for whatever reason it gives me goosebumps every time. For comparison sake, I never had Dead Weather in my mind but thoughts of The White Stripes and The Raconteurs entered my head during a couple of the songs, but then how could they not? All in all I felt it was fresh, and what natediggle said seems pretty correct, that this album will stand out among the other big TMR releases.

Getting to go back into the lounge and offices was almost as cool as just getting to hear the album. For anyone who has been in the store or the blue room, you have a pretty good idea of how much they love design there and that lounge is amazing. The entertainment setup, the kitchen and restrooms, the offices, the trim even.

Thank you so much for your review and thank you and everyone who went and shared their stories here for making me very excited for April 24th!!
Blackwell did a q&a afterwards. He said the idea of the listening party was Jack's idea, so that real fans could start getting the word out instead of having to rely on someone who doesn't care in the first place (journalist-wise I would assume.) He touched on the recording, saying that it wasn't really a "2 weeks in the studio" thing so much as a do it at your leisure kind of thing. (I say why not, when the studio is literally in your back yard.) Didn't go into detail as to who performed on the album, but did say that it wasn't what you would consider the "usual suspects" of TMR releases.

Asked about record store day proceedings he said there will be something going on, but nothing as big as last year as pertains to the event or the amount of releases. 2-3 special releases are POSSIBLE for RSD.

Someone also asked about the educational series. For anyone keeping score on that, the releases WILL all have a TMR catalog number. As far as why they can't sell them, Ben brought up several factors that make pretty good sense as far as dealing with ensembles of people who cannot enter into a legal contract due to age, then mechanical royalties to the people who wrote the songs, and also proper crediting. There will be chances at getting one of these through contests or charity auctions as TMR has done with other limited items in the past. Ben mentioned he had worked for almost a year to get all of that up and running, and he deserves major props for that. Very cool stuff.

I think that does it for my input. We had to clear our pockets (phones, wallets, notepads even) when we entered, so everything had to be noted mentally. Where is my mind? I don't know but there's only so much space in it. Ha. I really really really can't thank the Bens, all of the TMR staff and especially Jack for this treat and the hospitality. They are all ridiculously nice and go out of their way not only to run that place so well, but to make sure everyone who comes is shown a good time. I can't wait for this album. Actually, even more so I can't wait to see what Jack does with it live in Birmingham in a few weeks. I thoroughly doubt anyone who has a sweet tooth for Jack will be disappointed.

Fantastic review, thank you!! :)
Last edited by DasaniYoni on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DasaniYoni

Post by DasaniYoni »

2crazikids wrote:Here's My Full Write up of the whole thing: I had a lot of time on the plane/layovers to write so excuse the length but I HAD to get it all out! I have not read anything else about this whole thing so I have no idea what kind of words are swirling about but this was my experience completely.

Blunderbuss Listening Party Review

Disclaimer: Please remember this review is based on one blunderbuss injection. So here's the best I can give without the benefit of hearing it multiple times. Also, I haven’t read any other reviews of the listening party and Blunderbuss except for “natediggle” and that was at 3 am and don’t remember much except I liked it.

First, a huge thank you to my husband, who upon hearing of my win, purchased my plane ticket and hotel in Nashville without a pause, even though he couldn’t come with me. His goal is to make all my dreams come true and I only hope I can manage the same for him at some point. Secondly, thanks to the entire staff at TMR. The Bens were lovely and as sweet as could be. All the ladies and gents in the offices were funny, accommodating, and reassuring. (Sorry it took long for me to get out of there guys, I was one of the last in line and knowing that I won’t be coming back anytime soon I wanted to take my time and really enjoy my buying experience at TMR)

I am so unbelievably grateful for this opportunity. This was as intimate an experience as I'll ever get into TMR and into Jack Whites inner world in my lifetime. And this experience will no doubt ever be paralleled. My hopes are in my kids though; maybe they'll end up third man recording artists in 10 years or so. Hey, you got to have dreams man.

TMR lounge: The décor and design in the main room had me enthralled, I couldn't tear my eyes away from all the little details: the skulls on the coffee table, the ibex (I think it was an ibex), the buffalo head, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, tucked all about the place. I love that stuff! The woodwork was amazing. In the archway to a little alcove space was a turntable carved out of wood hanging upside down in the middle. I could have spent the whole question and answer time with Blackwell asking about the décor. But I held back. Glad I did. It was so funny, or sad depending on how you looked at it, but every time I saw a piece in the room that captured my eye my hand went instinctively to my back pocket to reach my iphone to snap a photo. Strangely, I am glad I didn’t have my phone, seemed to make the experience more mine than belonging to the whole world.

Now on to the music: Well, Jack certainly set up a new set of perimeters artistically. But within those new boundaries he seemed to allow himself more freedom musically. The instrumentation was, of course, impeccable. I heard so many different influences and musical styles throughout the record. Never a dull moment, of course when it comes to Jack’s music that goes without saying. I loved the "boom" heard from Swanks office after the 2nd track concluded. Boom indeed. All the songs were so well crafted with so many layers and so many instruments. The vocals were outstanding! I can't wait to cover my ears in the headphones and peel away those layers! I would give my firstborn to know who's playing with him. I was there at TMR when Ruby showed up for practice, so clearly she's part of the gang. Blunderbuss was beautiful, delicate, heart wrenching, and intimate but still rocked.

Lyrics: Some stood out and struck me right away. They jabbed at me like sharp points. They were painful and exhilarating at the same time, sort of like a little tattoo. It all happened so fast, I would have rewound those parts immediately many, many times over... All the tracks hit all the right spots: some smacked me around a bit and got me grooving while some surrounded me is some sort of beautiful, melancholy embrace and I didn't want to let go. Like there was some weird blue/grey fog surrounding me and obscuring the world, but I didn't want to get out if it. I never wanted the songs to end, as each song went by I got more excited for the next one but at the same time sad because it would all be over way too soon! Man knows how to entertain and keep attention but again that goes without saying. God! He is a flipping genius!!!

I thought I understood before, but now I really get "it". It IS all about the MUSIC; the artistry, the mind blowing experience that's listening to most amazing music of our time. The art. How lucky are we to be able to be part of this? Still pinching of myself. I will never forget this lesson and thank you so much Jack for reminding me of the true meaning of this whole experience. It took me 24 hours or so to reach this understanding but I think it stuck this time. I hope to continue my musical journey with TMR for a long, long time.

It was lovely meeting other fellow vault members. I hope they had an equally amazing experience as I did. I had a great first time in Nashville. I teamed up with a few willing vaulters and saw lots of sights around town including the United Record Pressing plant. I was even able to catch a great show at 12th and Porter, Lovedrug was headlining. I had such an amazing, exciting, music-centered couple of days. But nothing beats the rapturous hugs from my sweet, darling babies when I came home last night. It’s nice being missed.
Beautiful, visual review! Thank you for sharing your experience. One day I will visit Nashville and explore, after visiting TMR first! :)
DasaniYoni

Post by DasaniYoni »

anonymousbrunette wrote:Those in attendance have already posted great reviews of the album. If I duplicate anything here, please forgive me. Admittedly I was nervous about reporting back before I booked the flight. Being part of the community I knew how hungry Swirlers would be for every bit of information on the new album. Unfortunately for those who want a track-by-track breakdown, this recap will only serve to annoy the shit out of you since I feel things more than I remember details. On top of being poor at retaining details, it usually takes me a while to digest what I've heard and put words to the experience. Most of TMRs bands, including The White Stripes and Dead Weather, have taken time to fully sink in (I'm slow like that). I'll also admit that after some of Third Man's recent releases (read "Lich Mein Arse") I was a little nervous about what an unbridled Jack White would produce.

But damn if this album won't rock you to your core. The reaction was visceral. Blunderbuss has all of the energy that you fell in love with the Stripes for, all of the power of the Dead Weather, and all of the songwriting finesse of the Raconteurs. Like guitar? Bam! Keys your thing? This is GBMS on a Red Bull binge. The whole album is a ride. Actually two rides. Let me 'splain.

The energy of the first side, so brilliantly constructed track-wise, is what hit me immediatly. People's first inclination will be to find all the similarities to White's previous endeavors and they are all there, but the ingredients are different (was that funk I heard in Missing Pieces? Rap in the following track?) The sound (esp. Sixteen Saltines, Freedom At 21 and Hypocritical Kiss) is something so crisp and modern that anyone not already residing in the red and white empire will have the wind knocked out of them, and are likely begin handing over taxes immediately. By the time Freedom at 21 concludes, you're already having visions of those blistering live guitar solos that had you salivating for Blue Veins. After the now familiar listen Love Interruption, I expected to be assaulted again but contrary to its name, the title track Blunderbuss is a precisely and meticulously executed tune. If the Raconteurs fans weren't already pulling out the keys by this point it would be hard to miss them in Hypocritical Kiss. The keyboards in some of these tracks is insane. A few songs are aurally dripping with them. As Jack has pointed out, a piano is just another percussion instrument. And after listening to the first side you get the feeling that every instrument is just that - something intended to reverberate.

The B side comes across as something altogether different and will sate me in alternate moods. It sounds like every collaboration and influence in the last five years (Wanda, Jerry Lee Lewis, Paul McCartney and Ricky Skaggs are some that come to mind) is honored here. The cover of I'm Shakin' kicks off a side that seems to track the genealogy of rock & roll. The only kink in the second side for me was Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy which I have a hard time imagining being performed live. But that's purely personal taste as it will likely become the cult fave of the record. The split personality of Take Me With You When You Go rounds out what is wholly an epic release by an already accomplished artist. This shapeshifter will appeal to an even wider range of music fans. There's a lot of diversity among fans of Jack White but this will surely be the one album to bind them all.

It turns out that Jack White is greater than the sum of his parts. If you'd asked me last week if I ever thought that he would pop up in our "Artists whose solo work outshines their work in bands" thread I'd have laughed. But last week I also couldn't have conceived of Blunderbuss.

Random Notes:

As for the event itself, it was definitely a trip through the looking glass. If Jack wasn't a musician, producer, actor, media mogul already, he'd be tops in cutting edge interior design. I have skull envy. I'm just saying.

And the staff - while we've been drinking the Kool-aid for years, TMR's employees must be using it to wash down magic brownies too. Everyone is ridiculously warm and friendly. So much so that visiting Nashville is like coming home to family. Sound creepy? Yeah, just a bit.

Swank divulged that the new space next door was just that - space - and for the time being will serve to get people out of the closets they've been working in. I also think that he bakes the brownies.

As already noted, Blackwell revealed that the school project releases will have a regular old TMR number which will screw over completists and well won't that be fun for the 99% (my words, not his.) He also refused to tell us who was on the album except to say that it wasn't the usual TMR gang and was a whole slew of people from all over.

Blackwell has his work cut out (and pressed) for him. If the 7" run of 10,000 was unexpected (he said they originally ordered 7k thinking it would be MORE than enough), I hope that Blunderbuss' reception will be another pleasant surprise.

The album I felt was pretty upbeat. The first side was instrumentally aggressive but I didn't interpret it as angry. Even Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy was a perky little ditty so I didn't get melancholy out of it at all. Perk up Shane.

Consumables: Flavored fizzies, chips, donuts, fruit, and a heap of fine music. Thank you TMR.

P.S. I will never post something this long again. I promise.
This long post is fantastic! Another fantastic review - THANK YOU!! :D
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

anonymousbrunette wrote: I'll also admit that after some of Third Man's recent releases (read "Lich Mein Arse") I was a little nervous about what an unbridled Jack White would produce. But damn if this album won't rock you to your core. The reaction was visceral. Blunderbuss has all of the energy that you fell in love with the Stripes for, all of the power of the Dead Weather, and all of the songwriting finesse of the Raconteurs. Like guitar? Bam! Keys your thing? This is GBMS on a Red Bull binge.

but the ingredients are different (was that funk I heard in Missing Pieces? Rap in the following track?)

The sound (esp. Sixteen Saltines, Freedom At 21 and Hypocritical Kiss) is something so crisp and modern that anyone not already residing in the red and white empire will have the wind knocked out of them, and are likely begin handing over taxes immediately. If the Raconteurs fans weren't already pulling out the keys by this point it would be hard to miss them in Hypocritical Kiss. After listening to the first side you get the feeling that every instrument is just that - something intended to reverberate.

The B side sounds like every collaboration and influence in the last five years (Wanda, Jerry Lee Lewis, Paul McCartney and Ricky Skaggs are some that come to mind) is honored here. The cover of I'm Shakin' kicks off a side that seems to track the genealogy of rock & roll.

It turns out that Jack White is greater than the sum of his parts. If you'd asked me last week if I ever thought that he would pop up in our "Artists whose solo work outshines their work in bands" thread I'd have laughed. But last week I also couldn't have conceived of Blunderbuss.

Random Notes:

As for the event itself, it was definitely a trip through the looking glass.

The album I felt was pretty upbeat. The first side was instrumentally aggressive but I didn't interpret it as angry.

Consumables: Flavored fizzies, chips, donuts, fruit, and a heap of fine music. Thank you TMR.

Look here woman... that post was so damn good and chalked full of the 'goods' that you can post like that all day long and i will read... as it is i have been feeling like Alice in Wonderland lately with meeting all these new people and seeing their views of what was my own collection without comment by any of my friends here whatsoever... its huge to have GBMS (the first full length back-to-back series of songs be my introduction to White Stripes beyond a crazy concert years ago) be Jacks returning point to his solo work given the impact that that release had on my entire life at the time it was released ... im so thankful

These comments tell me everything i need to know so that i can have a wonderful time at the Choo Choo... trying to decide where i will be placing myself for the allotted dance scenarios that i know will ensue even though ive not hear any of it yet ... better to have prepared for such a response than to position wrongly and thusly bust out of character due to joy

One of my biggest worries about this show is that folks will not be dancing but rather transfixed by spectacle of it all ... this is one of the biggest bummers for me at any show when people really just want to stand there as opposed to really let it all sink in with the full body response of jammin through the entire deal and letting it move them all the way to their bones

Right now i can see about 40 cellphones up in the air trying to capture the goods and get them back online somehow...

I just want to thank you for getting all the elements into the mix of your description regardless of space or length
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:
anonymousbrunette wrote: I'll also admit that after some of Third Man's recent releases (read "Lich Mein Arse") I was a little nervous about what an unbridled Jack White would produce. But damn if this album won't rock you to your core. The reaction was visceral. Blunderbuss has all of the energy that you fell in love with the Stripes for, all of the power of the Dead Weather, and all of the songwriting finesse of the Raconteurs. Like guitar? Bam! Keys your thing? This is GBMS on a Red Bull binge.

but the ingredients are different (was that funk I heard in Missing Pieces? Rap in the following track?)

The sound (esp. Sixteen Saltines, Freedom At 21 and Hypocritical Kiss) is something so crisp and modern that anyone not already residing in the red and white empire will have the wind knocked out of them, and are likely begin handing over taxes immediately. If the Raconteurs fans weren't already pulling out the keys by this point it would be hard to miss them in Hypocritical Kiss. After listening to the first side you get the feeling that every instrument is just that - something intended to reverberate.

The B side sounds like every collaboration and influence in the last five years (Wanda, Jerry Lee Lewis, Paul McCartney and Ricky Skaggs are some that come to mind) is honored here. The cover of I'm Shakin' kicks off a side that seems to track the genealogy of rock & roll.

Random Notes:

The album I felt was pretty upbeat. The first side was instrumentally aggressive but I didn't interpret it as angry.

Look here woman... that post was so damn good and chalked full of the 'goods' that you can post like that all day long and i will read... as it is i have been feeling like Alice in Wonderland lately with meeting all these new people and seeing their views of what was my own collection without comment by any of my friends here whatsoever... its huge to have GBMS (the first full length back-to-back series of songs be my introduction to White Stripes beyond a crazy concert years ago) be Jacks returning point to his solo work given the impact that that release had on my entire life at the time it was released ... im so thankful

These comments tell me everything i need to know so that i can have a wonderful time at the Choo Choo... trying to decide where i will be placing myself for the allotted dance scenarios that i know will ensue even though ive not hear any of it yet ... better to have prepared for such a response than to position wrongly and thusly bust out of character due to joy

One of my biggest worries about this show is that folks will not be dancing but rather transfixed by spectacle of it all ... this is one of the biggest bummers for me at any show when people really just want to stand there as opposed to really let it all sink in with the full body response of jammin through the entire deal and letting it move them all the way to their bones

Right now i can see about 40 cellphones up in the air trying to capture the goods and get them back online somehow...

I just want to thank you for getting all the elements into the mix of your description regardless of space or length
I worry about the same thing. But we're sure going to have fun at the choo choo! I am so ready to give it all up to the music gods that night.
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:

Random Notes:

I worry about the same thing. But we're sure going to have fun at the choo choo! I am so ready to give it all up to the music gods that night.