American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack White

snippets and snails
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack Whit

Post by Kali Durga »

There' s now a whole section at TMR's on-line store for American Epic-- http://thirdmanstore.com/reissues/american-epic
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Holy cow!

I guess I'll start with the Leadbelly. I'm always surprised when I see a Leadbelly collection that doesn't include In The Pines/Black Girl/Where Did You Sleep Last Night. It's just such a beautifully haunting song I would always play it if I were mentioning him. I wonder if it has to do with the rights for it or something.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I'm going to wait and see if they do the box-set they talked about in the original announcement two years ago.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Kali Durga wrote:two years ago.
Reading that part made me cackle. :)
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So now there's an official announcement-- https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/third- ... -on-vinyl/
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

So I'm confused. There's the "American Epic Sessions Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" available on 3 LPs via TMR. And there's also "American Epic: The Soundtrack." which is a whole different deal, one LP with songs from some of the original artists, released by Legacy. https://www.amazon.com/American-Epic-So ... c7645981e5

And there's also going to be a 100-song 5-CD box set, with book, not available on vinyl. http://www.americanepicmusic.com/.

Not sure if I've got all the options straight, or if there are even more to come. And of course there's the single albums of individual musicians available from TMR, too.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Gonna be a lot to buy, when you add in the dvd &/or blu-ray and book. Glad I haven't pre-ordered anything yet, I'm gonna wait until it's all a bit more clear.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

What I find confusing is that there's two completely different albums, both calling themselves "The Soundtrack."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

If I remember correctly from the q&a at the preview event I went to at the Asbury Park Film Fest last year, one's the soundtrack to the documentary portion and one's the soundtrack to the contemporary sessions.

Edit: Just read the description of the one on Amazon and, yup-- "American Epic: The Soundtrack highlights recordings from the three-part documentary on one 150g LP, including original recordings by The Carter Family, Mississippi John Hurt, Charley Patton, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and more all restored to unprecedented levels of sonic fidelity. "

Whereas, "AMERICAN EPIC: The Sessions, soundtrack features: Alabama Shakes, The Americans, Ana Gabriel, Ashley Monroe, The Avett Brothers, Beck, Bettye LaVette, Bobby Ingano, Elton John, Frank Fairfield, Jerron “Blind Boy” Paxton, Los Lobos, Lost Bayou Ramblers, Nas, Pokey LaFarge, Raphael Saadiq, Rhiannon Giddens, Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, Taj Mahal, Jack White, and Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

It's not the content (the TMR release vs. the Legacy release, etc.) that I find confusing, it's why they would title them both with "soundtrack" in the title, which seems like it would be confusing initially to a lot of people.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Three new Jack White recordings and one each from Beck, Alabama Shakes and Pokey?
I'll take a chance on the sessions LP if I find it discounted somewhere down the road.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Apparently my book arrives Tuesday. :o
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

I must be the only swirlie not even remotely interested in this project.
he is everything i hate...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

This has become the kind of thing I'm interested in whether Jack's involved or not.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:This has become the kind of thing I'm interested in whether Jack's involved or not.
Not sure where the hell I've been with this, but I just took a look on the TMR website and I am excited as well. Give me some of that Delta Blues..