American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack White

snippets and snails
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack Whit

Post by Kali Durga »

arewhyehen wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:This has become the kind of thing I'm interested in whether Jack's involved or not.
Not sure where the hell I've been with this, but I just took a look on the TMR website and I am excited as well. Give me some of that Delta Blues..
It's a LOT more than just Delta Blues. Have you seen the original trailer, Ryan? It still gets me a bit breathless, even after two years of waiting.

They've got a few more videos up on the PBS site for the show now, too- http://www.pbs.org/wnet/american-epic/? ... nepic_2017 It really is the history of American music, so there should be something in there to appeal to pretty much everyone. Here's a detailed synopsis of the whole documentary, if you really want to know what it's all about-- http://www.pbs.org/wnet/american-epic/2 ... he-series/

I started reading the book Tuesday night and it's fascinating. You know how we all love the Soledad Brothers version of Goin' Back to Memphis? It seems they took their inspiration from a guy named Will Shade who started the Memphis Jug Band--

I know my enthusiasm annoys some people for some reason, but I love learning this kind of stuff.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

if any of this ends up as a vault package, it will probably force me to finally walk away...
he is everything i hate...
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

elduderino wrote:if any of this ends up as a vault package, it will probably force me to finally walk away...
I honestly do not think there is any chance of that happening—too many contracts and moving parts businesswise for any of this project to be Vaulted.

I can understand if this project is not everyone's cup of tea. But from the things I've seen from The Inside, it's reeeeeeeeeeeally good—interesting, well put together, and many of the stories are incredible to see/hear/experience. They did a damn fine job IMO.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:This has become the kind of thing I'm interested in whether Jack's involved or not.
Not sure where the hell I've been with this, but I just took a look on the TMR website and I am excited as well. Give me some of that Delta Blues..
It's a LOT more than just Delta Blues. Have you seen the original trailer, Ryan? It still gets me a bit breathless, even after two years of waiting.
I know it's a lot more than just the Delta Blues...I am just excited about that portion of it. Most Blues really... Plus the music from Beck and Jack and Alabama Shakes and Pokey and everyone else..

I agree. I wish I knew more about those old Blues artists and got into it a lot earlier than I did..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

arewhyehen wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
I know it's a lot more than just the Delta Blues...I am just excited about that portion of it. Most Blues really... Plus the music from Beck and Jack and Alabama Shakes and Pokey and everyone else..

I agree. I wish I knew more about those old Blues artists and got into it a lot earlier than I did..
It's never too late, I only realized seven years ago that this world of music existed. In addition to all the wonderful reissues coming out and documentaries like American Epic and Two Trains Runnin', there are many, many excellent books out there about blues music. Dive in.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Kali Durga wrote:

It's never too late, I only realized seven years ago that this world of music existed. In addition to all the wonderful reissues coming out and documentaries like American Epic and Two Trains Runnin', there are many, many excellent books out there about blues music. Dive in.
I actually do a radio show on Friday nights on KAOS that explores the blues and soul roots of hip hop and rock n roll. You can access the archive shows for up to 2 weeks oline here: http://www.radiofreeamerica.com/show/jo ... nity-radio Thanks for allowing my plug. :D
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

JonnyH wrote:I actually do a radio show on Friday nights on KAOS that explores the blues and soul roots of hip hop and rock n roll. You can access the archive shows for up to 2 weeks oline here: http://www.radiofreeamerica.com/show/jo ... nity-radio Thanks for allowing my plug. :D
I'd love to check that out. Are the archives by any chance downloadable?
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

JonnyH wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:

I actually do a radio show on Friday nights on KAOS that explores the blues and soul roots of hip hop and rock n roll. You can access the archive shows for up to 2 weeks oline here: http://www.radiofreeamerica.com/show/jo ... nity-radio Thanks for allowing my plug. :D
You will now forever be known as Jonny B Bad
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Kali Durga wrote:
JonnyH wrote:I actually do a radio show on Friday nights on KAOS that explores the blues and soul roots of hip hop and rock n roll. You can access the archive shows for up to 2 weeks oline here: http://www.radiofreeamerica.com/show/jo ... nity-radio Thanks for allowing my plug. :D
I'd love to check that out. Are the archives by any chance downloadable?
Sadly no. Laws pertaining to music make that near impossible. That's also why it's only archived online for two weeks, that's the legal limit.

If you have a program like say, Audacity(which is free), then you can run hit play on the show and then click record in Audacity and you'd end up with a copy that way. I mean, I'm sure that would work. I'm certainly not suggesting that's legal or that anyone should do that. I'm merely speaking theoretically...
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

arewhyehen wrote:
JonnyH wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:

You will now forever be known as Jonny B Bad
:thumbup:
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

That's ^^ one of the excerpts I saw last year.

Five days and counting... I started reading the book a few days ago and it's fantastic.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Kali Durga wrote:I started reading the book a few days ago and it's fantastic.
If you find any typos, please let me know.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

woodisgood wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:I started reading the book a few days ago and it's fantastic.
If you find any typos, please let me know.
Haven't yet. But that photo of Son House blew my mind. Apparently blew other people's minds, too, as I've seen it pop up on Facebook. And I love Bernard's idea of "geographonica".
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

For those folks who use Tidal, JakobGreen tipped me off this morning that all of the albums TMR is releasing are now streaming.