American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack White

snippets and snails
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Re: American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack Whit

Post by JakobGreen »

woodisgood wrote:Got our copies in the office, it's quite good looking and def worth a purchase (and if you know me, I only recommend maybe 5 books a year from where I work). And just so you know it's not just pics, it's text galore about people featured in the doc.
Good to hear. Just biographical info on old time performers featured in the film?
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

woodisgood wrote:Got our copies in the office, it's quite good looking and def worth a purchase (and if you know me, I only recommend maybe 5 books a year from where I work). And just so you know it's not just pics, it's text galore about people featured in the doc.
where do you work? pretty cool you guys get early copies
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Preordered the DVD, now can't decide whether to preorder the book or wait to see what TMR has on offer. If the Blue Series book is anything to go by, the AE book might be cheaper via Amazon. But TMR might have accompanying 12"s. Also various ephemera. :?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Will this be the next big announcement post-RSD, perhaps?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:Will this be the next big announcement post-RSD, perhaps?
I hope so. Seems we have been waiting so long for this.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

JakobGreen wrote:
Good to hear. Just biographical info on old time performers featured in the film?
In-depth stories about some of the people profiled in the doc in addition to photos and ephemera related to them. And of course a section about the "stars" using the original recording equipment. It's a fine companion to the doc—some of the stories are very touching.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

A synopsis, a review, and much info about accompanying releases-- https://tvshowpatrol.com/news/american- ... ack-white/

Pertinent info--
What to expect

Music fans can take a deep dive into American musical history with the TV series, recordings and a book.

The 3-part doc

The film series explores the pivotal recording journeys at the height of the Roaring Twenties, when music scouts armed with cutting-edge recording technology captured the breadth of American music and discovered the artists that would shape our world. Allison McGourty, Duke Erikson and director Bernard MacMahon produced the three-parter.

PBS and BBC Arena announced the “American Epic” historical documentary will air at 9/8c May 16, 23 and 30 on PBS (check local listings). BBC will air it sometime in May in the U.K.

The film

The feature-length film showcases an all-star roster of contemporary artists led by Jack White and T Bone Burnett. They will replicate this early recording process on an original 1920s electrical recording system and pay tribute to those great artists of the past.

PBS and BBC Arena announced “The American Epic Sessions” will air 9/8c June 6 on PBS (check local listings). BBC also will show the film sometime in June.

“American Epic” will be available June 13 on Blu-ray and DVD on from PBS Distribution. Visit shopPBS.org. The series will also be available for digital download.

Recordings

- On May 12, Sony Music’s Legacy Recordings will release a companion soundtrack, 100-song box set and additional archival recordings from the 1920s and 1930s.
- Columbia Records will release new studio performances from “The American Epic Sessions.”
- Third Man Records, Jack White’s independent record label, will release “The American Epic Sessions” soundtrack and a selection of “American Epic” archival recordings from the series on vinyl.

For these releases, engineer Nicholas Bergh refined a transfer process using a mix of both modern and vintage equipment in order to extract the remarkable resolution from the records that is often missed. This “reverse engineering” approach to the transfer process enabled the restoration team of Grammy Award winning engineer Peter Henderson, Duke Erikson and Joel Tefteller to get the resulting audio closer to the original performance than ever before. This is not “remastering,” in the normal sense, but something closer to fine art restoration. The intent is not for people to marvel at the antiquity of these discs, but rather to experience them as vital, immediate performances that speak to us as directly as they did on the day they were recorded—not simply great art for their time, but great art for all times.

And a book!

On May 2, Touchstone will release “American Epic,” a companion book to the series featuring behind-the-scenes stories, plus exclusive and unpublished photos.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

I would love to see the film, but I don't know if it will be available in Europe. :(
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Mick III wrote:I would love to see the film, but I don't know if it will be available in Europe. :(
"PBS International, the co-production and distribution arm of PBS Distribution, is distributing AMERICAN EPIC to broadcasters and media companies worldwide. Several international broadcasters including BBC (United Kingdom), ARTE/ZDF (France and Germany), Canal Plus (Spain), and Channel 8 (Israel) have already signed on to air the film in their territories".
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

In skimming through that, it seems that they just copy'n'pasted a press release and there are no specific details abot their own box-set. Or did I just miss them?
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:
In skimming through that, it seems that they just copy'n'pasted a press release and there are no specific details abot their own box-set. Or did I just miss them?
No, no details on theirs. I did find the tracklist for Sony's 5 disc box set. Look all I am saying is this; they did it for Paramount, they did it for Elvis. Nothing cries out as much as this project for a 78rpm record than this project and I expect TMR to lead the way. Will be disappointed if there isnt a 78. But out of of Sony, Columbia and TMR; Im expecting the later to have the best set out of all..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

JakobGreen wrote:But out of of Sony, Columbia and TMR; Im expecting the later to have the best set out of all..
Which is why, now that we know the broadcast date for the doc, I'm eager as hell for TMR to make this announcement.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

dunedin wrote:
Mick III wrote:I would love to see the film, but I don't know if it will be available in Europe. :(
"PBS International, the co-production and distribution arm of PBS Distribution, is distributing AMERICAN EPIC to broadcasters and media companies worldwide. Several international broadcasters including BBC (United Kingdom), ARTE/ZDF (France and Germany), Canal Plus (Spain), and Channel 8 (Israel) have already signed on to air the film in their territories".
This is a good news, I hope it will be available so.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Aquamarine wrote:Preordered the DVD, now can't decide whether to preorder the book or wait to see what TMR has on offer. If the Blue Series book is anything to go by, the AE book might be cheaper via Amazon. But TMR might have accompanying 12"s. Also various ephemera. :?
just pre-ordered the book. It will probably ship somewhere around June so enough time to cancel when the other mergandice shows up.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”