rsimms3 wrote:It's that time of year...
http://thehardtimes.net/music/jack-whit ... urn-vinyl/
:lolno: really funny article
Datch
Little Acorn

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Datch »

Jack White Signs Global Publishing Deal with Universal Music Publishing

Jack White and Universal Music Publishing Group announced today (April 27) a new global publishing deal that will grant the company exclusive access and direct control over the singer’s entire catalog -- including notable songs from The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather. The arrangement will also allow complete range of White’s solo albums Blunderbuss and Lazaretto, in addition to any collaborations or future ventures.

The agreement also includes White's publishing companies Third String Tunes and Peppermint Stripe Music to further develop new projects and existing songs. It also marks the first time a single publisher will globally administer the rights to White’s songs.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... publishing
Well thats interesting. I guess managing everything yourself isn't feasible in the long run.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I smell a greatest hits compilation.....
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

rsimms3 wrote:I smell a greatest hits compilation.....
Wasn't that basically the record he released last year?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Stl_ben wrote:
No it wasn't. Not even basically.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

woodisgood wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
Whether you agree that it was or not, having back to back compilation albums will be pretty disappointing. Making one acoustic remixes doesn't make up for that...
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

arewhyehen wrote:
woodisgood wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
Whether you agree that it was or not, having back to back compilation albums will be pretty disappointing. Making one acoustic remixes doesn't make up for that...
Oh yeah! And sorry if I stepped on any toes, but yeah basically everyone I talked to IRL called the newest record an greatest hits record, occasionally mentioning acoustic.
Which I was fine with because I finally got that Coke and Cold Mountain song for my turntable.
But yeah don't need to have a plugged in greatest hits record right after that.

On a side note, if there is a Greatest Hits record....which of his previous records will be most under represented? Will anything from the newest Dead Weather make the cut?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Smells more to me like more songs in more commercials in more countries. Which is fine with me, since he seems to use that sort of money for things like the Paramount sets and the pressing plant and American Epic.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

I work at the previous administrator of his catalog. Nothing really major or different about this. I'm sure they just offered him a better deal than we could give him. He never managed his own publishing rights. :shock:
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

curseofhalos wrote:I work at the previous administrator of his catalog. Nothing really major or different about this. I'm sure they just offered him a better deal than we could give him. He never managed his own publishing rights. :shock:
So he owns the rights, but hires companies like yours and this new one just to manage them, right? To find licensing opportunities and then collect his royalties?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

Kali Durga wrote:
curseofhalos wrote:I work at the previous administrator of his catalog. Nothing really major or different about this. I'm sure they just offered him a better deal than we could give him. He never managed his own publishing rights. :shock:
So he owns the rights, but hires companies like yours and this new one just to manage them, right? To find licensing opportunities and then collect his royalties?
Yep, the admins just take a percentage. Lots of artist just sign contracts for an x amount of years and then they take them elsewhere if they can get better deals.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

curseofhalos wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
Yep, the admins just take a percentage. Lots of artist just sign contracts for an x amount of years and then they take them elsewhere if they can get better deals.
That's pretty much what I assumed this meant. Thanks for clarifying. Guess the fact that this warranted announcements in so many news sources is one more indication of how big he's gotten.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Thank you for finding a YouTube version of that ^^, the video on the CBS News site is lousy quality.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/s ... ack-white/
There is so much to say, and even more to hear from the Wizard of Wax himself, Jack White. In this episode we spin three sets of vinyl that revolve around Mr. White and his record label Third Man Records. This mix is eclectic, full of fuzz, sprinkled with surprises, and throwing all sorts of vintage vibe your way. Thanks for tuning in to the all-vinyl Stax of Wax.
I haven't listened to this yet, but I hope that if I post in here I'll remember to get around to it this week.

I've been really into vinyl me please lately. So if you are thinking of signing up you can use my link below and we'll both get $10 off.

http://fbuy.me/fgjFR