AN APOLOGY AND EXPLANATION FROM JACK WHITE

snippets and snails
bh1644
Little Ghost

AN APOLOGY AND EXPLANATION FROM JACK WHITE

Post by bh1644 »

this really needs it's own thread... the following for JackWhiteIII.com May 31, 2014
It seems like it’s becoming obvious that to continue the activities I have planned for the rest of my year as a musician, and not be hounded by nonsense throughout those experiences, I should make a statement to clear up a lot of the negativity surrounding things I’ve said or written, despite the fact that I loathe to bring more attention to these things.

I felt in a way forced into talking about very private opinions of mine that are very much in the realm of “behind the curtain” show business conversations, and things to do with my own family and friends. These are things I never talked about publicly, but through the actions of lawyers trying to villainize me in a private legal scenario, my private letters were made public for reasons I still don’t understand. They contained comments that were part of a much bigger scenario that is difficult to elaborate on, and also one that I really shouldn’t have to explain as it was personal and private in nature.

There are a lot of things that only people around me can know about or understand, but despite all of that I want to say this: I wish the band the Black Keys all the success that they can get. I hope the best for their record label Nonesuch who has such a proud history in music, and in their efforts to bring the Black Keys songs to the world. I hope for massive success also for their producer and songwriter Danger Mouse and for the other musicians that their band employs. Lord knows that I can tell you myself how hard it is to get people to pay attention to a two piece band with a plastic guitar, so any attention that the Black Keys can get in this world I wish it for them, and I hope their record stays in the top ten for many months and they have many more successful albums in their career.

Remarks I’ve made about the state of the music business and about how certain acts create new markets in the minds of music lovers are also very difficult to clarify without exacerbating the issue. In an attempt to not give the music magazine Rolling Stone a “no comment,” because I thought they would use that to convey some sort of pettiness on my part, I decided to try to explain a tiny portion of what they were asking. But, they are the type of comments that are to be made to producers, engineers, and managers who thoroughly understand the behind-the-scenes of what we do all day long. I should’ve been smarter to know that it would be pointless to use comparisons like I did to readers who most likely don’t understand the scenario and that my words would seem very negative in nature. That’s not me trying to sound like I’m above anyone, it was just “shop talk” and it sounded a lot more negative than it was meant to.

I wish no slight to the talents of Winehouse, Duffy, Lana del Rey, and Adele. All of whom are wonderful performers with amazing voices. I have their records and I hope for more success for them all as the years go on. They deserve all they’ve gotten. And, I also would love to state that I personally find it inspiring to have powerful, positive female voices speaking out and creating at all times in the mainstream, and all of those singers do just that, so I thank them.

Meg White, who I also talked about to Rolling Stone about our working conversations, or lack thereof, is, of course, a musician I’ve personally championed for 15 years. She is a strong female presence in rock and roll, and I was not intending to slight her either, only to explain how hard it was for us to communicate with our very different personalities. This got blown out of proportion and made into headlines, and somehow I looked like I was picking on her. I would never publicly do that to someone I love so dearly. And, there are mountains of interviews where my words are very clear on how important I think she is to me and to music.

We live in a sound bite, sensationalized age. The “non apology” has become a lawyer’s dodge for celebrities themselves, given to a public that usually doesn’t want to hear it as it disrupts the tabloid “dirt” that we all want to occur. Because the conversations I’ve had that have been made public and recontextualized are difficult to clarify without making it seem even more petty and strange, this is an apology to anyone I’ve offended with my comments about my creativity, their creativity, and the music business in general. I wish for a long, fruitful, healthy family of creative people to continue to grow around me and the musicians I work with, the city of Nashville, America and the world of listeners that this music can reach.

Anyone who can get people to pay attention for more than a second with musical notes in this age, or any age for that matter, deserves credit and applause. Thank you for reading all of this and I hope that the nonsense started by lawyers and strangers to me and perpetuated by tabloid journalism can be left behind, and all of the musicians can move forward in positivity. So, God bless the Black Keys, Danger Mouse, Adele, Meg White, and anyone else I’ve spoken about, and thank you for understanding. Good fortune to all of them, and I’m sorry for my statements hurting anyone.

Jack White
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Re: AN APOLOGY AND EXPLANATION FROM JACK WHITE

Post by scoliosispony »

When I saw that headline pop up on my FB feed I got really worried he was canceling shows. Luckily it was just stupid BS.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

it amazes me that anyone talks to the press anymore... I know in some respects it's a necessary evil in promoting your product, but what a bunch of scumbags...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Ya, it's so disgusting that this made it to the public. I really don't understand TMZ and other those other bullshit tabloids. There has to be some pretty gutless people who work for them.
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

arewhyehen wrote:Ya, it's so disgusting that this made it to the public. I really don't understand TMZ and other those other bullshit tabloids. There has to be some pretty gutless people who work for them.
agreed... when mainstream media starts to quote TMZ as a reputable source, the end is near...
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Yes, but it wasn't just tabloids. Rolling Stone mentioned all of the dirt too, and all of the offending comments came from RS's article. I actually thought his comments were pretty true (about BK, Winehouse, et al.) However, with JW and all of my favorite artists, I like the mystique and could have lived without reading the interview anyway. I will keep spinning the records and shift my attention to Keith and Wayne from the Lips.
:lol:
Hyperbole used for effect!
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Yep, because the mainstream media did such a great job of outing Donald Sterling as a racist POS before TMZ released that tape of him. I have no use for 99% of the stuff that TMZ and tabloids report on, but to dismiss them completely is misguided. The mainstream media will always choose protecting the famous and powerful over losing access.

Simply put, the easiest way for this to go away is for Jack to stop talking shit about other artists. Same goes for the guy from the Black Keys, who can't seem to help himself when it comes to running his mouth about other people in entertainment. To play the victim because you just couldn't help yourself when it comes to sharing your thoughts on other musicians is pure chickenshit.
DBCooper
Little Acorn

Post by DBCooper »

too bad he didn't just say "fuck you rolling stone". I hope he never does shit for them again.
That can go now.
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

mangry wrote:Yes, but it wasn't just tabloids. Rolling Stone mentioned all of the dirt too, and all of the offending comments came from RS's article. I actually thought his comments were pretty true (about BK, Winehouse, et al.) However, with JW and all of my favorite artists, I like the mystique and could have lived without reading the interview anyway. I will keep spinning the records and shift my attention to Keith and Wayne from the Lips.
:lol:
Yeah, okay. I usually don't get into band drama, but the Kliph/Wayne thing was disappointing. Mostly because Wayne really puts himself out there as such a nice guy and being all about peace and love, and then got really nasty toward Kliph in RS. Mostly I was upset to learn they ditched a collaboration with Deerhoof (amazing band, check them out if you haven't) to work with K$sha instead. I thought they were more about making weird music than expanding their brand to tweens.

I'm off topic, I guess, but in general if I want to know about an artist I like I'll wait for a biography. Mostly I'm interested in Jack's (or any artist's) creative process and output. I could generally care less if they're assholes, insane, or whatever. Unless they make their character part of their stage persona like Wayne.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

josephodonnell
Little Acorn

Post by josephodonnell »

scoliosispony wrote:When I saw that headline pop up on my FB feed I got really worried he was canceling shows. Luckily it was just stupid BS.
Same here, my heart dropped into my stomach!
FUCK
FASHION
LETS
SMOKE
MENTHOLS
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

scoliosispony wrote:When I saw that headline pop up on my FB feed I got really worried he was canceling shows. Luckily it was just stupid BS.
I think it's anything but "stupid shit." I don't think it took balls/guts/whateverotherorgan to say what he said in his apology; it took common, human decency. Fuck mystique-give me a real human being every time. Jack just scored major points in my book, BECAUSE he.said t'hell with the mystique. I've been a fan of his music, but not so much the man, and this tipped the scales in his favor to that end.
Good on ya, Jack.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Just realized what an asshole I sounded like -I meant no offense to Chris or anyone else, I just have a different opinion, that's all.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

What is the saying????? No publicity is bad publicity...... This is all PR men in New York, don't kid yourself.
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

mojoryan wrote:Just realized what an asshole I sounded like -I meant no offense to Chris or anyone else, I just have a different opinion, that's all.
No worries on my end Mojo. Your frequently having a different POV is why I like ya.

I can buy his being misunderstood on the Meg and female artist stuff, but he is clearly disingenuous when it comes to the Keys. Remember, the first time there was a hint of any issue was not the divorce leak BS. There was the little online comparison of the Elephant and Brothers font that he posted before quickly pulling it down. That little incident made more sense once the other "news" was released. It could have died there, but he brought it back up. I don't care if he does or doesn't like the Black Keys. He raves about Kanye and I still have no interest in listening to that garbage. His opinion on other musicians has zero relevance to me, but if you're going to have an opinion, you better own it and skip the hollow well wishing.

Also, if RS did such a poor job of representing what he said, why were they promoting the story at TMR? They knew what was in it. If he took issue with the content, that's the time to say something. Just seems to me he caught a lot of crap for what he said and is trying to backtrack and blame someone else. Comes off as pretty weak to me.
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

mojoryan wrote:Just realized what an asshole I sounded like -I meant no offense to Chris or anyone else, I just have a different opinion, that's all.
One wich I share with you.
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.