Jack White Acoustic Recordings 1998-2016 2LP

Love interruption --->
Mick III
Little Acorn

Re: Jack White Acoustic Recordings 1998-2016 2LP

Post by Mick III »

This is a really good news ! I want to pre ordered it but I wait a little more. I work in a record store and I can get it without shipping cost. Here in France, the shipping cost can empty your wallet :mrgreen:
Bergkamp10
Little Bird

Post by Bergkamp10 »

$56 shipping to Ireland for LP & CD. Good luck!
Great release though. Dying to hear it.
suttree
Little Cream Soda

Post by suttree »

He did say in Fargo that he would "see you somewhere down the road." I took that to mean it would be years before a new album. I am taking this to be, unless otherwise stated, album versions of the songs with some remixes and a new song?

preordered
<JackWhite> suttree: who doesn't love lillie mae?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

suttree wrote:He did say in Fargo that he would "see you somewhere down the road." I took that to mean it would be years before a new album. I am taking this to be, unless otherwise stated, album versions of the songs with some remixes and a new song?

preordered
This feels very much to me like something to tide us over, because I got the same impression. Either that or it's fulfilling an obligation to Columbia while he's off doing other things. While a "greatest hits" package would normally turn me off, this sounds like it includes some gems that make it worthwhile, so I'm happy to be tided over.

A year from now, though, I will likely feel differently.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

Well now we know why "City Lights" was unreleased... bummer... but there are a lot of tunes on here I am jazzed about...
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Ah, man. I've been wanting "Love is the Truth" on vinyl for a good long while. I'd like to see the full version released eventually but this is a damn good start. Can't wait to hear it!
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I like how in the video they say "No live songs" - "No covers"
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

chaptertwentyone wrote:I dig the photos.
In the cover photo, his eyeball ring lines up creepily with the eyeballs in his head.
Meg is my favourite.
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

cameroon wrote:I'm expecting variants like those for Blunderbuss, just for sale normally. It's too far away for the next vault package. The record comes out 9/7 and the next Vault announcement wouldn't be til 10/1 at the earliest.
The Xmas Vault package is always amazing,smart marketing. It makes a great gift.More members buy more subs. I suspect it will be a surprise to all of us.
I like Jack acoustic,and this will be a great listen.
I prefer raw, grinding, electric, feedback driven.Jack White balls out ..

But,that's just me.
Frank is a funkasaurus rex......................
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

IamFrank007 wrote:
cameroon wrote:I'm expecting variants like those for Blunderbuss, just for sale normally. It's too far away for the next vault package. The record comes out 9/7 and the next Vault announcement wouldn't be til 10/1 at the earliest.
The Xmas Vault package is always amazing,smart marketing. It makes a great gift.More members buy more subs. I suspect it will be a surprise to all of us.
I like Jack acoustic,and this will be a great listen.
I prefer raw, grinding, electric, feedback driven.Jack White balls out ..

But,that's just me.
Same here, with regard to the electric stuff--I love the acoustic stuff too, though, and I REALLY like City Lights, which I think deserves a lot more love than it seems to be getting.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:... and I REALLY like City Lights, which I think deserves a lot more love than it seems to be getting.
I listened to it a bunch of times on repeat in the car today and it definitely strikes me as b-side material. The lead vocals are very strained, which is kind of weird in contrast to the smoothness of the backing vocals. The lyrics are clumsy and could have used a bit more thought. But the sentiment of it chokes me up every time. And the guitar is very interesting.

Oh, and Dominic tweeted that he played on it. Will be interesting to see the credits and find out who else was involved.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Kali Durga wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:... and I REALLY like City Lights, which I think deserves a lot more love than it seems to be getting.
I listened to it a bunch of times on repeat in the car today and it definitely strikes me as b-side material. The lead vocals are very strained, which is kind of weird in contrast to the smoothness of the backing vocals. The lyrics are clumsy and could have used a bit more thought. But the sentiment of it chokes me up every time. And the guitar is very interesting.

Oh, and Dominic tweeted that he played on it. Will be interesting to see the credits and find out who else was involved.
Interesting how people hear things differently. I thought the lyrics were very much the opposite of clumsy--well-constructed, powerful but understated, and unified within the "journey" motif. And the melody is beautiful. The vocals don't sound particularly strained to me, either, he's just using the high register and doesn't sound any more (or less) strained to me than he does on many of the early WS songs.

Different point--a lot of negativity surrounding this album, for some reason, which I don't share in.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:

Interesting how people hear things differently. I thought the lyrics were very much the opposite of clumsy--well-constructed, powerful but understated, and unified within the "journey" motif. And the melody is beautiful. The vocals don't sound particularly strained to me, either, he's just using the high register and doesn't sound any more (or less) strained to me than he does on many of the early WS songs.

Different point--a lot of negativity surrounding this album, for some reason, which I don't share in.
There are just a few spots where I think there could've been a better choice of words. And where Jack's concerned, that sort of vocal can be very affecting, his performance of Mother Nature's Son at the Gershwin Awards being a very specific example off the top of my head-- flawed but evocative, one of his strengths. We may've heard elements of it differently, but the song still gets to me, I definitely don't dislike it.

Before I heard it, Griel Marcus' comment from the liner notes had me very intrigued--

"“This, like (Son House’s) ‘Grinnin’ In Your Face,’ is mirror-music,” writes renowned music journalist Greil Marcus of “City Lights” in the album’s exclusive liner notes, “the singer talking to himself, trying to tell himself the truth, which he’s going to need if he’s going to step out of his door, walk into the world, and fool himself, for just a second, that he’s ready to take it on. As you listen, it’s no surprise at all that it took most of White’s music-making life to bring the song home.”"

But after listening, I don't get that at all. Maybe I'm hearing it too literally (I always do), but it sounds more like finding that person who is a sanctuary for you.

Someone over at the LR said the guitar sounds a lot like John Fahey. Anyone over here hearing that?
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

Aquamarine wrote:
Where and about what?
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Coma16 wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:
Where and about what?
Just opinions I've read in the webverse, questioning or speculating on the motives for releasing the album.