Questions about selling

td3
Little Bird

Questions about selling

Post by td3 »

I've been a buyer and vault member since day 1. While I do love the stuff, I've always been one to get it for the music itself and less for the collectible nature. I've been pondering culling through some of my collection and selling things off to fund a special project near and dear to my heart. Was wondering what some of the more coveted items were (aside from Icky Thump Mono ... probably gonna hang on to that one). I have all the pieces from all the Vaults, a vast majority of the Record Store Day stuff, a few split colors (5,6,7,8s and TWS S/T split come to mind), the Karen Peach album and a few other odds and ends.

If I were to start digging through my stuff to sell, what are the items people tend to want more than others. I know the Wanda set doesn't get a ton of love around here.

And if this is a terrible question, feel free to let me know and I'll delete it. But I'm trying to get some cool stuff done for my own record label and I'd like to generate some funds.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Re: Questions about selling

Post by JonnyH »

Dead Weather, Racs live in London, the White Stripes. The main Jack bands seem to bring the most.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Not a terrible question. Most of us here have sold amazing records to fund other conquests. And Johnny's right. The big 3 Jack bands bring the most (especially anything Stripes). Good luck!
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Not a terrible question. Most of us here have sold amazing records to fund other conquests. And Johnny's right. The big 3 Jack bands bring the most (especially anything Stripes). Good luck!
I'd respectfully add "except for the B-shows LP" because now that more appeared for sale on the Vault store last month, I think there's a bit of a price dip on them. (Least-crowd-pleasing Vault WS release to date?) (Although I love it.)
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
a_fiendish_thingy
Little Cream Soda

Post by a_fiendish_thingy »

If I had the cash, I would jump at the chance to get a copy of Vault 5, the Dead Weather Live @ TMR one. It has been eluding me thus far.....
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

The White Stipe Splits would be your money maker. Not going to be cheap to replace later on. Think about it before you do it !

You can get a quick idea of Vault prices and demand in the for sale thread on here called Selling all Vaults or something like that.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:The White Stipe Splits would be your money maker. Not going to be cheap to replace later on.
I somewhat disagree with this. Their prices have been all over, especially since the holiday refresh-a-thon. I really think that the only thing to keep it's crazy prices will be the early Jack stuff, which has proved so far. I think the splits and tris will slowly lose value over time. It's done for everything now. I get it's white stripes and that makes them a little more valuable, but they are represses rather than an original/old release.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

arewhyehen wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:The White Stipe Splits would be your money maker. Not going to be cheap to replace later on.
I somewhat disagree with this. Their prices have been all over, especially since the holiday refresh-a-thon. I really think that the only thing to keep it's crazy prices will be the early Jack stuff, which has proved so far. I think the splits and tris will slowly lose value over time. It's done for everything now. I get it's white stripes and that makes them a little more valuable, but they are represses rather than an original/old release.
The 12" WS Splits are still doing well, I'm talking about the first 3 released, They will maintain and rise in value I think. I do not think any of these were sold at the Refreshathon.

The tri's values are all over the place based on content/Artist.

The early stuff will maintain and rise over time in value.

That's how Woody see's it !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

De Stijl split was in the Refreshathon, I got one for $70. But there were very few of them, only two or three said they got one, and it didn't really affect the market value at all.
tardis20
Little Bird

Post by tardis20 »

What I'm curious of is what is the exp date of TMR considering you a flipper compared to an investment to get keep on buying records you want? 2 year, 3 years, etc?