Vault #17

2crazikids
Little Acorn

Re: Vault #17

Post by 2crazikids »

profsteenmarter wrote:
Melon wrote:post a picture.. i'm curious what this looks like.

& i wouldn't worry about being a difficult consumer, sounds like you're being reasonable.

it's the fault of URP, It's no good for Third Man that these things happen
oh well..
I thought that TMR and URP are basically one in the same now, no?

Oh and yeah, I would ask for a replacement.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

If that's in the vinyl and doesn't effect play I'd keep it.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

Got both of my Vaults yesterday, one stays in the mailer. I played side 1, I HATE country music. Put this away in a re-sealable Mylar sleeve, and will never play again....I am a prolly a minority, but I just can't listen to any country... This is second country album I own, and I am 46 yo.BTW, other is Cash covers, which I guess isn't country.
Frank is a funkasaurus rex......................
profsteenmarter
Little Acorn

Post by profsteenmarter »

flattop2001 wrote:If that's in the vinyl and doesn't effect play I'd keep it.
It's in the record, just under the surface of the grooves but still on the surface. I hear cracking on that spot
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Finally had a chance to put this on my table. LP 1 wasn't trimmed very well....and they threw in some warpage as a free bonus!

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Hans_ka
Little Acorn

Post by Hans_ka »

rsimms3 wrote:Finally had a chance to put this on my table. LP 1 wasn't trimmed very well....and they threw in some warpage as a free bonus!

Ah, man. That aint good.
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

rsimms3 wrote:Finally had a chance to put this on my table. LP 1 wasn't trimmed very well....and they threw in some warpage as a free bonus!

whoa
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

IamFrank007 wrote:Got both of my Vaults yesterday, one stays in the mailer. I played side 1, I HATE country music. Put this away in a re-sealable Mylar sleeve, and will never play again....I am a prolly a minority, but I just can't listen to any country... This is second country album I own, and I am 46 yo.BTW, other is Cash covers, which I guess isn't country.
From Neil Young's entrance on, it's a totally different show. I likely won't be playing side one ever again either (my issue is with female vocals, not country music), but the songs with Neil and Leon Russell are beautiful. A Song For You has always seemed cheesy to me, but this version actually made me tear up. You may want to pull yours out of the sleeve and give the other two sides a try.

I was so excited for the 6" record booth version of Redheaded Stranger, and then so disappointed when the needle lifted way before the song was through. I don't like that, it makes that portion of the Vault package seem like just an advertisement for the record booth instead of an actual Vault component. So while the album is a gorgeous presentation of what was obviously a fantastic night at Third Man that they very generously and, rightly so, proudly chose to share with us, the single and poster definitely don't fully round out the package. And the fan club goodies are just that-- Fan club goodies. They're well-presented, as always, but I just don't think of the Vault as a fan club.

Minor complaints, though, when I look at this package as part of the continuum of the Vault. There have been so many packages that I rate as "Holy crap, I love this thing!!" that the occasional one that just gets a "This is good, I'll listen to it once in a while" doesn't ruffle my feathers too much. That said, bring on #18.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Kali Durga wrote:
I was so excited for the 6" record booth version of Redheaded Stranger, and then so disappointed when the needle lifted way before the song was through. I don't like that, it makes that portion of the Vault package seem like just an advertisement for the record booth instead of an actual Vault component.
So the recording only captured part of the song? And how is the performance? (the one that was televised was pretty weak IMO.) I'm trying to decide if this 6" is worth seeking out since I skipped the package.
Hyperbole used for effect!
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

mangry wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
I was so excited for the 6" record booth version of Redheaded Stranger, and then so disappointed when the needle lifted way before the song was through. I don't like that, it makes that portion of the Vault package seem like just an advertisement for the record booth instead of an actual Vault component.
So the recording only captured part of the song? And how is the performance? (the one that was televised was pretty weak IMO.) I'm trying to decide if this 6" is worth seeking out since I skipped the package.
NOT worth it..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

If you can get it inexpensively (up to you what you consider inexpensive, of course), then I would say it's cool to have. But I would not pay a ton of money for it. It's Willie singing the verses with Jack joining in on the chorus. The sound is like an old 78rpm, which I do get a kick out of. It's just the shortness of it that bugs me.

Oh, and the runout etchings on both the 6" and the lp are interesting. Who's not Willie Nelson? And who the heck's water did what?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Jack Horner
Little Bird

Post by Jack Horner »

Finally recieved in Australia!
Has anyone noticed the writing credits for the Neil Young songs are wrong?
Both songs were written by Neil, but Sail Away is credited to Rafe Van Hoy, and Long May You Run to Mark Selby. A quick web search reveals that Rafe did write a song with this title, so it looks like someone down at TMR did the same lazy search. Not sure where Mark Selby comes from, or if the other tracks are accurate, but it seems like a glaring oversight for the proof reader, and a little embarrassing if Neil is a Vault subscriber.

Of course, being without a turntable at the moment, I haven't been able to listen to the record yet, so on the off chance Neil has covered two songs with the same names as two of his own, please feel free to set me straight. ;)
Meg is my favourite.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Jack Horner wrote:...a little embarrassing if Neil is a Vault subscriber.
I would bet Neil didn't have to subscribe to the Vault to get one of these.

Interesting catch. Especially since Neil actually says, when introducing Long May You Run during the show, "I wrote this song..."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

As long as they spell his name right on the royalties check, he will be OK with it.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

This vault package goes down in history for the quickest repeat spin of any vault yet to date. Not the most spins, however. Although...it could happen.
There's a whole lot of nostalgia for me that surrounds Willie, so this one has a special spot in my life.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5