Vault #16

trickster
Greek Mod

Vault #16

Post by trickster »

VAULT 16 - NEW VAULT SERVICE posted by Ben S at 08:06AM
Courage. What makes a King out of a slave? Courage. What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage. What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage. What makes the Sphinx the 7th Wonder? Courage. What makes the dawn come up like THUNDER?! Courage. What makes the Hottentot so hot? Who puts the "ape" in ape-ricot? Whatta they got that we aint got?

In celebration of the ten-year anniversary of the White Stripes album Elephant, Third Man has gone searching underneath couch cushions and in shady back alleys for the perfect Vault package to accompany the label's reissue of the album. We think we've nailed it.

Of utmost excitement is a 2 x LP blistering live set by the White Stripes recorded July 2nd, 2003 at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Titled Nine Miles From the White City, this 26-song, 79-minute, tour-de-force performance is indicative of the absolute explosiveness Jack and Meg embodied at the height of their 2003 touring. Highlights include a rare live performance of Captain Beefheart's "Party of Special Things to Do", an especially frenetic "The Hardest Button to Button" as well as the Stripes Christmas tune "Candy Cane Children." Hearing "Seven Nation Army" in the middle of a set (and not as a closer or encore where it would soon find itself for the remainder of the band’s career) is a quaint reminder of the inauspicious beginnings of the future stadium anthem. The crystalline soundboard recording is best experienced through the impromptu, off-the-cuff performance of a song written on-the-spot that would be come to called "Little Cream Soda." The song would be re-discovered (via an audience recording) by Jack and Meg during the recording of their album Icky Thump, dusted off and recorded for what would become the White Stripes final studio album.

Providing rare insight into the demo process, the 7" in this Vault package features Jack White's solo demos of the songs "I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart" and "Little Acorns." Accompanied only by his trusty piano (salvaged from a Catholic school in Detroit as it was being shuttered), Jack's double-tracked vocals lend an otherworldly air to "...Heart." "Little Acorns," in the most happy of accidents, pairs a parable spoken by legendary Detroit-area news anchor Mort Crim with White's germination of a song idea, all through the magic of recycled 1/4" analog tape. Of special note are White's previously unheard guide vocals...edited out of the final mix once it would appear on Elephant.

Finally, tying all previous components back to the actual making of Elephant, the "bonus" item for this package is a 56-page collection of photos taken by David Swanson during the recording of the album. With the wonderful Toe-Rag Studio in London as the setting, this peek into the White Stripes' recording process is both revelatory and intimate. With only three of the fifty-plus images having ever been published before, such a cache of striking images only furthers to cement the depth and breadth of Third Man's Vault. The live show, the demos and the photos all help to contextualize Elephant, the surroundings it sprung from, the resultant whirlwind it created and all the chaos in-between. Ten years later, it's a time that still resonates very deeply with us at Third Man and we hope you feel so too.

The White Stripes
Nine Miles from the White City
-When I Hear My Name
-Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
-Love Sick (Bob Dylan)
-Hotel Yorba
-Aluminum
-Cool Drink of Water Blues (Tommy Johnson)
-The Hardest Button to Button
-I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart
-Stones in My Passway (Robert Johnson)
-Stop Breakin' Down (Robert Johnson)
-Do
-In the Cold, Cold Night
-Seven Nation Army
-The Same Boy You've Always Known
-Black Jack Davey (traditional)
-We Are Going to Be Friends
-Offend in Every Way
-Little Cream Soda
-Cannon/Party of Special Things to Do (Captain Beefheart)
-Candy Cane Children
-The Air Near My Fingers
-Screwdriver (tease)
-Ball and Biscuit
-Screwdriver (reprise)
-Let's Build a Home
-Goin' Back to Memphis (Henry & June)

///////////////

LP:
The White Stripes Nine Miles From the White City
2 x LP (LP one on red vinyl, LP two on white)

7":
The White Stripes
I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart (demo) b/w Little Acorns (demo)
Opaque red vinyl with black whisps
Enclosed in a red/white/black die-cut sleeve

///////////////
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
profsteenmarter
Little Acorn

Re: Vault #16

Post by profsteenmarter »

Wow, they are outdoing the last packages!
Can't wait!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

They make me so happy. I want to give everyone at Third Man a great big hug right now for bringing so much musical joy to my life.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Hey vault, nice package!
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Yaaaaaaaaah !
So nice !
I say yes and i want it !! But we must to wait June ... :x
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

It says 2013 Elephant era! THE SECRET REUNION SHOW HAS SURFACED!
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

stellar!

Elephant era was always my favorite live bootlegs. Exciting.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
rietveld
Little Bird

Post by rietveld »

Kali Durga wrote:They make me so happy. I want to give everyone at Third Man a great big hug right now for bringing so much musical joy to my life.
+1
"Yeah, I look nothing like the kids in the videos"
A1004
profsteenmarter
Little Acorn

Post by profsteenmarter »

Can't find "Party Of Special Things To Do" in the setlist,or am I blind?

Edit: apparently I am blind...
Last edited by profsteenmarter on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Little Ghost

Post by Melon »

:shock:

& i'm glad they are transitioning the vault else where... should be a much better set up!
houses are full of things that gather dust
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

profsteenmarter wrote:Can't find "Party Of Special Things To Do" in the setlist,or am I blind?
Yes. (It's after Cannon)
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

cant wait for this one
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

the most excited I have been for a Vault... this was recorded just 5 days after the show I attended... and this show was included on my hatch show print that I look at every day... :D

Who from here was at one of the Chicago shows?

pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

PugFaceRex wrote:
Elephant era was always my favorite live bootlegs.
+1

Best package to date for me.
a_fiendish_thingy
Little Cream Soda

Post by a_fiendish_thingy »

:shock:

wow wow wow

This looks amazing. They have been destroying these things as of late. Every pack I think it is going to be hard to top, but every pack they manage to keep up the amazing stuff. Wow.

And yay for another book! :D The book from 14 is probably my favorite 3rd item so far. Looking forward to another book!