Vault 15

AJ123
Little Ghost

Re: Vault 15

Post by AJ123 »

You can't really blame them for the sound. The warped records aren't acceptable though
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

arewhyehen wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
jrfhoutx wrote:
mojoryan wrote:Man, I know this sounds nuts, but is the "skipping" actually sound disintegration that occurred in translation: does EVERYONE'S have the same issue? I wouldn't feel as bad if it's an across the board thing, but if it's yet another anomaly that I was "lucky" enough to get, I'll be irked. It would be, I think, three packages in a row that I've had issue with.
pretty sure the 'skipping' isn't actually the needle jumping grooves, but audio that simply does not exist on the original tape, for whatever reason, and is on every copy. Don't forget Jack has said that they used to repurpose tape that came from radio stations etc. and that this is where some of the odd sound bites in TWS songs came from, as did I would imagine, the March of Dimes bit at the beginning. If the tape is worn and breaks, then it has to be spliced and you will lose some recording time, and have those kind of 'skips'.

Aside from the fact that some of the songs are not entirely there (for whatever reason), I think it sounds great for what it is, basically an audience recording of a band playing in a bowling alley...
If everyone is in the same boat, I'll give another listen with a more resigned, and open mind. If such really is the case, then it' just may be the gem I'd hoped.
I am with you on the quality of these lately though. Some of the vaults have had some issues lately. Racs Live LP, WS Tote issues...I think this might be one of the worst issues so far though with the sound and the crazy amount of warped LPs

Again, this one I'm putting the sound off to being a recording issue, not a pressing issue (because it actually sounds like audience recordings I've made before, not a poorly pressed LP). As for the number of warped LPs, I reserve judgement until those with warped copies answer this: could you tell it was going to be warped before you even opened the shrink? or was it not apparent until you opened it and laid it on your turntable? (assuming it didn't arrive folded in half like that one KE split)
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

jrfhoutx wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
mojoryan wrote:
jrfhoutx wrote:
mojoryan wrote:Man, I know this sounds nuts, but is the "skipping" actually sound disintegration that occurred in translation: does EVERYONE'S have the same issue? I wouldn't feel as bad if it's an across the board thing, but if it's yet another anomaly that I was "lucky" enough to get, I'll be irked. It would be, I think, three packages in a row that I've had issue with.
pretty sure the 'skipping' isn't actually the needle jumping grooves, but audio that simply does not exist on the original tape, for whatever reason, and is on every copy. Don't forget Jack has said that they used to repurpose tape that came from radio stations etc. and that this is where some of the odd sound bites in TWS songs came from, as did I would imagine, the March of Dimes bit at the beginning. If the tape is worn and breaks, then it has to be spliced and you will lose some recording time, and have those kind of 'skips'.

Aside from the fact that some of the songs are not entirely there (for whatever reason), I think it sounds great for what it is, basically an audience recording of a band playing in a bowling alley...
If everyone is in the same boat, I'll give another listen with a more resigned, and open mind. If such really is the case, then it' just may be the gem I'd hoped.
I am with you on the quality of these lately though. Some of the vaults have had some issues lately. Racs Live LP, WS Tote issues...I think this might be one of the worst issues so far though with the sound and the crazy amount of warped LPs

Again, this one I'm putting the sound off to being a recording issue, not a pressing issue (because it actually sounds like audience recordings I've made before, not a poorly pressed LP). As for the number of warped LPs, I reserve judgement until those with warped copies answer this: could you tell it was going to be warped before you even opened the shrink? or was it not apparent until you opened it and laid it on your turntable? (assuming it didn't arrive folded in half like that one KE split)
Both my packages looked mint when I got them. It's only when I put the record on the turntable that I notices the warping. As a LOT of people from various places have the same issue, I think a whole batch of them where maybe badly stored before they packed and shipped them.

And I'll give my opinion about the sound as soon as I would have a copy I can play :mrgreen:
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
JSusi
Little Bird

Post by JSusi »

jrfhoutx wrote:Again, this one I'm putting the sound off to being a recording issue, not a pressing issue (because it actually sounds like audience recordings I've made before, not a poorly pressed LP). As for the number of warped LPs, I reserve judgement until those with warped copies answer this: could you tell it was going to be warped before you even opened the shrink? or was it not apparent until you opened it and laid it on your turntable? (assuming it didn't arrive folded in half like that one KE split)
My copy looked warped the moment I opened the mailer. First I thought it's just the shrink warping the sleeve, but after opening it was obvious that the whole thing (including the 7") was warped.

Also the mailer they came in looked quite damaged, especially one corner, but fortunately that damage didn't affect the records. Great mailers.

cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Never mind. :oops:
Last edited by cwja on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

although mine is definitely warped pretty bad, i did a good cleaning on a vpi 16.5 and it fixed the skipping issues. white vinyl is known as one of the worst compounds of vinyl so it's possible these just have extra dust on them. everyone should give them a good cleaning before playing anyway.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Have a feeling this may push back the next vault announcment :(
Nicode70
Little Cream Soda

Post by Nicode70 »

Yeah!

TMR has is giving hints about vault 16:

or am I understanding it wrong? ;)
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

Mine arrived completely fine. The only problem is that the package is completely boring (I haven't watched the DVD yet). I understand the history, I appreciate the history but I would much rather listen to monumental LIVE recordings of Mr White, instead of a below par set from a youthful Jack White, and a 7" of "alternate" songs that are not very different.
This is probably my least favourite Vault package to date.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

destijl wrote:Mine arrived completely fine. The only problem is that the package is completely boring (I haven't watched the DVD yet). I understand the history, I appreciate the history but I would much rather listen to monumental LIVE recordings of Mr White, instead of a below par set from a youthful Jack White, and a 7" of "alternate" songs that are not very different.
i love the lp and the single might be one of my favorites so far. love the alt version of steady.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

dreamover wrote:
destijl wrote:Mine arrived completely fine. The only problem is that the package is completely boring (I haven't watched the DVD yet). I understand the history, I appreciate the history but I would much rather listen to monumental LIVE recordings of Mr White, instead of a below par set from a youthful Jack White, and a 7" of "alternate" songs that are not very different.
i love the lp and the single might be one of my favorites so far. love the alt version of steady.
I'm definitely in agreement about the greatness of the single; I've already expressed my frustration over the lp; and I haven't had time to watch the dvd yet.
It's really not like me to not voice my opinion to TMR about vault/shipping issues etc, but I just can't bring myself to do it this time...it seems like every quarter SOMETHING is wrong with a package, and they're always so great about making it right...i think I'm just going to suck this one up. :(
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
JimmyLaverty
Little Bird

Post by JimmyLaverty »

Anyone else think this version of steady as she goes is better than the album cut?? Man i love it!
Get me the Becktionary, the rhyming Becktionary!
Bergkamp10
Little Bird

Post by Bergkamp10 »

Anyone hear back yet? The vault records seem very thin anyway. Would it be very expensive to have them 180g or something?
hwitsey
Little Bird

Post by hwitsey »

JimmyLaverty wrote:Anyone else think this version of steady as she goes is better than the album cut?? Man i love it!
I totally agree, some of the differences are only subtle but it makes a huge change
sjcapps07
Little Acorn

Post by sjcapps07 »

Hmm. My Vault package is waiting for me back in Nash, where I'm heading soon. What's the consensus—is the whole package worth listening to/keeping in my collection, or should I put it on the market for someone else to own?