Vault Package #9

HappyDad
Little Ghost

Vault Package #9

Post by HappyDad »

IT'S A WANDA-FUL LIFE
July 06 2011

Vault Package number nine…number nine…number nine.

Back in January we hosted the estimable Wanda Jackson live here at Third Man Records. With a crack band behind her (Jack White and the Third Man House Band) they tore through the classic standbys of Wanda’s career as well as showcasing the tracks featured on her acclaimed new album “The Party Ain’t Over”

For all of your folks who weren’t able to make it to the show at Third Man we’re making that evening’s activities the bulk of our Vaultrn9 package. The audio recording of that evening will be presented with beautifully designed artwork (complete with printed inner sleeve) while the vinyl itself will be pressed on black-and-blue split-colored vinyl.

You’ve got your audio fix, but what about your peepers? Fear not my visual-focused friend…the bonus item in this quarter’s Vault package is a full-on DVD of that same Wanda Jackson show we just described very succinctly one paragraph ago! But this time…you can see it! Produced by Roger Pistole, the entirety of the footage is stylistically in line with the previously released “Riot in Cell Block #9” segment. That’s lots of fancy talk for “this stuff looks boss as all get-out.”

For our 7” this time around we’ve really dug deep into the Vault. In 1998 there was a band called Two-Star Tabernacle featuring Dan and Tracee Miller, Damian Lang and Jack White. Dan and Tracee would go on to really make their mark with their fantastic band Blanche and Damian was well-known for his work on the first two Detroit Cobras records.

The only officially released Two Star Tabernacle music was a 7” that paired the band with legendary soul singer Andre Williams. They covered the Hank Williams standard “Ramblin’ Man” backed with one of Andre’s old comedy songs called “Lily White Mama, Jet Black Daddy”

Our 7” release is the previously unheard version of Two Star Tabernacle and Andre Williams performing “The Big Three Killed My Baby” backed with Jack and Dan’s original demo recording of “Ramblin’ Man".

Jack White originally penned “The Big Three” with Andre inrnmind. The singer guested live with Two Star on a version of “16 Tons” and thatrnled to him wanting to work with Two Star on something “controversial.” Williams’rnsuggestions of “I Can’t Repay My Student Loan” and “What If I Was Gay? WouldrnYou Love Me Anyway?” fell by the wayside but White was inspired enough to penrn“The Big Three Killed My Baby” for the occasion.

Complete with Andre’s original spoken word intro (he name drops El Nino!) and a reference to Jimmy Dodge that was edited out of the Stripes’ version, what exists is a rich, full-band arrangement of “The Big Three” that’s been buried for over ten years. We’re sure you’re gonna love it.

On the “Ramblin’ Man” flip side be sure to keep your ears open to hear Meg White talking about her dog Elroy in the background before the song starts.

Wanda Jackson tracklist:
Raunchy (instrumental)
Riot in Cell Block #9
I’m Busted
You Know That I’m No Good
Like a Baby
Right or Wrong
Fujiyama Mama
Funnel of Love
Blue Yodel #6
Let’s Have a Party
Shakin’ All Over

The Third Man House Band:
Ruby Amanfu (backing vocals) - Sam and Ruby, Grammy-nominated songwriter (Nashville)
Ashley Monroe (backing vocals) - solo country artist/songwriter (Nashville)
Jack White (guitar) - former upholsterer (Nashville)
Rich Gilbert (pedal steel) - Frank Black and the Catholics, Human SexualrnResponse (Nashville)
Dominic Davis (bass) - Steppin In It, Rachael Davis (Lansing)
Justin Carpenter (trombone) - Kelly Clarkson, Denver and the Mile HighrnOrchestra (Nashville)
Leif Shires (trumpet) - Kelly Clarkson, Jaimee Paul (Nashville)
Craig Swift (saxophone) - Salvador (Nashville)
Olivia Jean (guitar) - the Black Belles, Karen Elson (Detroit)
Joey Waronker (drums) - Beck, REM (Los Angeles)
Joe Gillis (keys) - Frijid Pink (Detroit)

Two Star Tabernacle with Andre Williams:
Andre Williams (Fortune Records/Motown)
Dan Miller (Goober and the Peas, Blanche)
Tracee Miller (Blanche)
Damian Lange (the Detroit Cobras, Elvis Hitler)
Jack White (amateur dentist)
Last edited by trickster on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: added more pics and text
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
vozhyk87
Little Acorn

Re: Vault Package #9

Post by vozhyk87 »

might skip this one...
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Mail carrier just delivered my copy. The black/blue with the pink cover contrast quite a bit but I'll keep it anyway.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
nesguys
Little Acorn

Post by nesguys »

Probably the least excited I've been for a vault package yet. Won't skip it but really could go for some more Racs at some point.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Nice! I like it. Not the greatest but still happy with it. Although I was considering going back to getting two packages, but I think I'll wait till the next one.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

is there a b side on the 7"
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Moller72 wrote:is there a b side on the 7"
Our 7” release is the previously unheard version of Two Star Tabernacle and Andre Williams performing “The Big Three Killed My Baby” backed with Jack and Dan’s original demo recording of “Ramblin’ Man".
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

This show was amazing, and can't wait to watch/hear it again with out being in a packed room.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

PANOS, WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY TOPIC!!!!!! :evil:

Oh and it's funny, it's been two years that the LP sheme is the same: Compilation / WS live / B@B
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

The 7" looks like TMR111.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

trickster wrote:
Moller72 wrote:is there a b side on the 7"
yeah i just read through it.thank you
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

rsimms3 wrote:The 7" looks like TMR111.
if you can see that on there i am impressed.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

It's not too hard, it's a large enough picture of the 7" to make it out on the label.
candycaneboy03
Little Ghost

Post by candycaneboy03 »

well...after 8 packages...they've finally managed to create one that i don't fancy all that much.I really only want that 7" but it'll be nice saving the money this time around...
"Love, Peace And Hair Grease"
sjcapps07
Little Acorn

Post by sjcapps07 »