Vault Question---3 items or 1 Mega Rare Item?

oojavaguru
Little Cream Soda

Vault Question---3 items or 1 Mega Rare Item?

Post by oojavaguru »

So now that we will have had the Vault for a year (7/8/09 is when I signed up) once the 4th package gets sent; is it time to change it up a little? Are you content with the 3 items (LP/7"/Poster, litho, postcard, t-shirt) formula or would you consider trading 3 items and getting 1 mega-rare item instead (e.g. 4LP boxset of a live show never released, with each box individually numbered or a 7" boxset of demos/outtakes/rarities never released in a TMR exclusive 7" box, each one numbered)? Logistically, I don't know if that would make financial sense for TMR to do, but if you had to pay $10 more a quarter for the chance to ditch a t-shirt or postcard or lithograph and instead truly get 1 special item, would you go for it? Or would you rather stick to the 3 item format?

Just throwing it out there for discussion.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Re: Vault Question---3 items or 1 Mega Rare Item?

Post by dylnfan »

What is beyond Platinum...are we talking "Diamond" level membership? ;)
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

I think in most fine establishments that would be known as the VIP package... it will come with a hand towel as well...
-Grim
I am everything you hate...
mkuborn
Little Ghost

Post by mkuborn »

What's the hand towel for?!
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

mkuborn wrote:What's the hand towel for?!
nm
I am everything you hate...
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Grimtale wrote:I think in most fine establishments that would be known as the VIP package... it will come with a hand towel as well...
-Grim
Do we get ice in the urinals or is this a different kind of club? 8-)
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
Jonny Buccaneer
Little Bird

Post by Jonny Buccaneer »

I like this idea!! Would be interesting if Third Man explored some different package ideas!! For me the weakest item to date was the rob jones print which I thought was hugely disappointing! I am a huge fan of his work and thought this was a very weak example! I loved the third man tshirt but am not bothered about dead weather one! I don't realy want a wardrobe full of tshirts. I think more exciting merch ideas, but this is by no means a complaint, I love the vault!!!!
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

There are over 3000 vault members so nothing would be mega-rare after that distribution.

I'm quite happy with getting three goodies each quarter. There's a much better chance that I'll fall in love with one of the items enough to justify the $60.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Great idea!
Why don't we all go tell Jack what kinda stuff we actually like before he starts waisting his time putting down ideas for package #5 and then maybe while we're at it, we can give some artistic input as well.
Any ideas for a new colour scheme? Handnumber each item and give the low numbers to people who joined first kinda deals maybe?
How about something special for people that have been signed on from the beginning...... I'm getting all fired up here.
Why don't you all vent your ideas in this topic and then somebody can get in touch with Jack and tell him what y'all really want as presents.
Maybe we can ask for early entry for all Premium members instead of just a meager 10 and ask for a free poster and live album on 180 grams vinyl from the actual show you've attended with personalized run outs.
Anyway I'm really curious what you guys come up with.... this is soooo exciting.
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oojavaguru
Little Cream Soda

Post by oojavaguru »

Kaber wrote:I agree Kees, as they are currently the busiest label-run mail order in the US, if not the world - they don't need any fan input. They will manage perfectly well without it and with the thousands of orders they have to process they are very busy anyway.
My original post never mentioned anything about going to Jack or TMR to discuss this. I was asking those that have the Vault subscriptions already or just the general population of the forum itself if they wanted 3 items or 1 item, period. My thought is this: It has to be pretty daunting to try and come up with 3 items every quarter that is going to please everyone. Based on comments on this board and others, nobody is ever happy. Hell, I've already seen people knocking the Dead Weather t-shirt that was just annouced yesterday in the Vault package. So since the old saying is "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time", if people keep bitching and moaning, then TMR is going to get to a point where they are tired of it (I'd think). My thought was to avoid this, if maybe once per quarter, they could do one mega-item instead of 3 individual items, that <gasp> everyone would enjoy and not bitch or moan about, then it could be worthwhile. It doesn't have to be numbered or colored vinyl or anything, it just has to be unique enough to justify being only 1 item. If they are getting $180K every quarter, then they would have the funds available to do a 4LP live boxset w/DVD with no problem.
Tonic&Gin
Little Acorn

Post by Tonic&Gin »

Grimtale wrote:I think in most fine establishments that would be known as the VIP package... it will come with a hand towel as well...
-Grim
Haha. I get dirty jokes.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

I am pretty happy with the current setup myself. I personally like the t-shirts but I jist make a decision on each vault package as they release details.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

I like the current system, but a 7" boxset would be amazing, and it could include 1 tri color each. that would be amazing
mkuborn
Little Ghost

Post by mkuborn »

Tonic&Gin wrote:
-Grim
Haha. I get dirty jokes.
You guys must go to the fancy joints... towels. psh, fancy city folk.