Goodies from Vault Platinum Pack #3

higherlimits
Little People

Re: Goodies from Vault Platinum Pack #3

Post by higherlimits »

richardcosta wrote:all the vault packages that I have received have been damaged in the mail in some way so this whole experience has been frustrating. this just adds to it in some ways. wish TMR could hear some of this chatter...
They do..
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

I've gotten six vault packages (3 subs) from TMR as well as countless 45s so far. Not one damaged yet. Maybe you should talk to your local postal person, maybe they have it out for you :-)
-Grim
I am everything you hate...
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Grimtale wrote:I've gotten six vault packages (3 subs) from TMR as well as countless 45s so far. Not one damaged yet. Maybe you should talk to your local postal person, maybe they have it out for you :-)
-Grim
I agree.. I've never had a problem with ANYTHING arriving damaged..
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

My stuff has always been in tip-top shape as well. I'm sure this is sort of the postal lottery, you never know who is going to be handling your packages. (that wasn't meant to sound so dirty...)
Carson122
Little Bird

Post by Carson122 »

If I remember correctly, the fact that these were supposed to be colored discs seemed to be one of TMR's major selling points for this package. It was almost as if they decided to make them colored in order to maintain patronage from the numberous members who may have been less than thrilled about the singles collection.

Personally I don't mind it very much, although I am confused as to why an LP pressed on black vinyl would sound any better than the same recording pressed on colored vinyl. Does anybody have an answer for that?
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Carson122 wrote: Personally I don't mind it very much, although I am confused as to why an LP pressed on black vinyl would sound any better than the same recording pressed on colored vinyl. Does anybody have an answer for that?
Theoretically, it shouldn't matter. But other factors might have come into play, maybe the color vinyl that was going to be used was of a lesser quality.
zman
Little Bird

Post by zman »

Maybe they weren't able to press the colored vinyl as 180g, and so they decided to sacrifice the color for better sound quality with 180g black vinyl
surfingelectrode
Little Bird

Post by surfingelectrode »

zman wrote:Maybe they weren't able to press the colored vinyl as 180g, and so they decided to sacrifice the color for better sound quality with 180g black vinyl
It's possible to press 180g colored vinyl. The colored ORG Nirvana reissues from last year are supposedly the definitive, best sounding versions of those albums and they were released on colored 180g wax with 20+ minutes a side.

Do they even really care about sound quality at Third Man? Most of their releases are sourced from digital masters, anyways. From what I've read, only Elephant, the stereo Icky Thump, and Consolers of the Lonely are the only JW/TM releases that are sourced from all-analog masters.
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

My LP's had dings on the corners I think a piece of bubble wrap would fix the whole thing but when you are packing that much stuff it is inevitable that something is going to get damaged.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

love the postcards! sweet slipmat as well.
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Grimtale wrote:I've gotten six vault packages (3 subs) from TMR as well as countless 45s so far. Not one damaged yet. Maybe you should talk to your local postal person, maybe they have it out for you :-)
-Grim
It is a matter of luck.
You think that a small label making discs aimed to collectors should package them in a 12" cardboard box only?
There are numerous complaints about poor packing causing damaged sleeves.

Both my Icky MONO (I got a replacement after sending my damaged one back) arrived severely damaged and packaged poorly

I was lucky to get an undamaged #2 package but LiL sleeve had a damaged edges showing that the LP was handled with not much care during manufacturing process.
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
mkuborn
Little Ghost

Post by mkuborn »

surfingelectrode wrote:
zman wrote:Maybe they weren't able to press the colored vinyl as 180g, and so they decided to sacrifice the color for better sound quality with 180g black vinyl
It's possible to press 180g colored vinyl. The colored ORG Nirvana reissues from last year are supposedly the definitive, best sounding versions of those albums and they were released on colored 180g wax with 20+ minutes a side.

Do they even really care about sound quality at Third Man? Most of their releases are sourced from digital masters, anyways. From what I've read, only Elephant, the stereo Icky Thump, and Consolers of the Lonely are the only JW/TM releases that are sourced from all-analog masters.
That is untrue, i am pretty sure Horehound was mastered to an analogue format and i would imagine the TMR studio is analogue mainly too!?

None of my vault stuff has been damaged however one package literally fell open when i picked it up BUT that could be because either the Government or my postman have taken to opening all my packages before i get them.
richardcosta
Little Cream Soda

Post by richardcosta »

got my vault package today, and yes, as usual, the corners were all dinged up. as Trickster mentioned earlier, what's up with the lightweight packaging from someone who prides themselves on being vinyl junkies? I cannot believe it is the fault of the post office, the packaging is so sub par for sure. I get vinyl from the UK and man those people know the score, they package in kryptonite. bottom line, TMR needs to rethink how they package vinyl if they want to walk the walk. :evil:
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Mine came yesterday and was flawless.