Question for UK vault members.

quixoticwax
Little Bird

Question for UK vault members.

Post by quixoticwax »

Hi,

I've just received the following update on USPS tracker regarding Vault #21: "payment of charges, item being held whilst addressee is notified".

I've never had this happen with any other vault package and I'm kind of miffed if customs are going to extort more money out of me after paying out for international delivery...

Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue?
monkeyman159
Little Bird

Re: Question for UK vault members.

Post by monkeyman159 »

How much did the customs charge you as still awaiting my packages.
Going to cancel one of my subscriptions as we already pay $20 more
Than people in the states. In the uk the tories would tax the air if they
Could.
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

There's some discussion on this in the Vault 20 thread. It appears TMR has declared a value of $54 for customs, whereas previously it was $18. The upshot is you're due to pay duty, VAT and a customs handling fee. The threshold is anything above £15, then you have to pay. The VAT is 20% and the handling fee anything from £8-12. I think it'll be about £14-16 extra in total. It's especially disappointing for me with this package as I already paid £20 for the black vinyl, so it's not like I'm desperate for the content of this package, but it'll have cost me about £70.

It might be a one off, but it could be that future packages will be declared at this value. The other thread makes me think it might be an error due to the number of items (3 items @ $18 each, as opposed to three items for $18 total).
analogUK
Little Bird

Post by analogUK »

I have the same "Awaiting payment of charges" tracking event. That will be the end of the Vault for me. Just to expensive.
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

Yeah I got the same notice as well dammit. Hopefully this is a one off mistake by tmr
Never trust a hippy
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

dmdv1 wrote:Yeah I got the same notice as well dammit. Hopefully this is a one off mistake by tmr
Ditto x 3
IndeedFergus
Little Bird

Post by IndeedFergus »

Got the same notification here, in Scotland.
Tojot7
Little Bird

Post by Tojot7 »

£46.74 + £10.57 VAT + £8 (clearance fee) = £65.41 = $112.03 = Too much for me.

Already signed for #21. It'll be my last if costs me that much again :(
quixoticwax
Little Bird

Post by quixoticwax »

Thanks for the help. If TMR have made an error I wonder if there is any way that we can be reimbursed?

If the extra fees are going to apply for future packages I think I can live without future vault releases unless something comes along that is really special.
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Just for anybody who didn't see Ben's post in the Vault #20 thread:
subpopfan1 wrote:i double-checked with the vault folks and TMR declares every international vault package at $18. if someone's claiming $54 it's the customs officials mis-interpreting a total $18 valuation as an $18 PER ITEM value. (we do declare that there are three items in the package. there's no way around that)

that being said, if your customs folks want to be dicks about it, say that it's under-valued or charge you duties just for the hell of it, they're totally within their powers (and not necessarily their rights) to do so.
Patient B1003
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

Tojot7 wrote:£46.74 + £10.57 VAT + £8 (clearance fee) = £65.41 = $112.03 = Too much for me.

Already signed for #21. It'll be my last if costs me that much again :(
Yeah I think I feel the same. When I think of the last 5 or 6 packages, I don't think I'd be willing to pay £65 for most of them. In fact, probably only # 14 and 16 of the recent ones I'd pay that for. I still hope it's been an error with these labels, but if it's the way forward I'll probably weigh up each package and see whether I'd be willing to pay almost £70 for it, rather than just keep my subscription going. Based on previous packages, I think I'll end up buying about 1 in 4 at that price.

The explanation from TMR makes sense (3 x 18 is 54), but the pictures I've seen of the label seem clear that the declared value is $54. I believe the sender makes that declaration, not a calculation by the customs folks, though I could be wrong. Plus the charges have been applied in numerous countries, so it doesn't sound like a misinterpretation by customs in the receiving countries.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

quixoticwax wrote:Thanks for the help. If TMR have made an error I wonder if there is any way that we can be reimbursed?

If the extra fees are going to apply for future packages I think I can live without future vault releases unless something comes along that is really special.
There was no error....who would reimburse you?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Stl_ben wrote:
quixoticwax wrote:Thanks for the help. If TMR have made an error I wonder if there is any way that we can be reimbursed?

I heard you were going to personally reimburse all the UK members...not true?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Tojot7
Little Bird

Post by Tojot7 »

I pay for a 3 month subscription to the Vault.

The package is only part of that. Can't say there has been a mistake made at TMR or at customs but the package has never been declared at such a value in the past.

Think non-US members are quite right to be annoyed to be suddenly paying nearly 2x as much as US members.
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

Stl_ben wrote:

I don't think we know whether there was an error or not, and if so, who made it. What we do know is that previous packages had a declared value of $18 and this one was three times that amount.

So either
A) TMR made an error in declaring the values, or
B) there is an error at Customs (doesn't seem likely), or
C) as you say, there is no error, and TMR deems the correct value for this package to be $54.

On the basis that there could have been an error, the question of reimbursement is fair. However, I think the answer is no, there won't be scope for reimbursement. For a start, the handling service has been provided, so that wouldn't get refunded. As for the duty/VAT, I don't see HMRC refunding that even if the sender provided updated info - it'd be too much of a hassle for all involved over £10. I don't see that TMR would reimburse the costs - when it comes down to it, I don't think the true value is either $18 or $54, but we've generally benefitted from the lower value in the past.

If there has been an error, and the value on future packages will again be $18, I think it's probably better to accept a one off than challenge the values too much. If the higher value is to be used on all packages in future, overseas members have their own choice to make. Unless there's some confirmation from TMR about values, I'll wait for #21 and if it's $54 I think my personal choice will be to cancel my membership.