Vault #18

grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Re: Vault #18

Post by grumblestiltskin »

dying stereo wrote:Is there no quality control in the record plant?Didn't they check out the colour of the tobacco one?A dark brown transparent is not acceptable to me.
I got dark brown transparent too, so dark I thought it was black until I held it up to the light. I actually quite like it.

I learned long ago never to trust TMR's mock ups.

As for how it sounds...ACE! Trumps my Racs@TMR any day...but then my racs at tmr has the same problems as everybody else's.
Patient B1003
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

Just got my vault pack. I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be.

I really like that Dead Weather 7" even if I would prefer a vault 7" serie one (with demos or alternative takes).

The brown LP is definitely not black and it's pretty nice imo. It's just quite impossible to take a good pic of it.

The DVD packaging is really nice too.

The only disappointing thing? That damn super thin single cover for the 2LP. Looks really cheap. I just checked the Live in London, Bshows or even Live in Mississipi 2LPs... They had thick gatefold covers. Perfect. I would rather had a little cardboard for the DVD and a nice gatefold cover for the 2LP.
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
tardis20
Little Bird

Post by tardis20 »

Stay Gold wrote:
tardis20 wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
tardis20 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
tardis20 wrote:S in MI arrived! However I'm missing the DW 7"!!! Anyone else have it missing???
cut open the plastic on the LP and look inside ;)

made the same mistake on my first vault too
I am somewhat new to Swirl and Vault (I started at #14) but I did open the shrink wrap...nothing. I know it's inside the LP but it wasn't this time. I checked quite a few times to make sure I wasn't crazy since TMR is excellent in shipping...
Perhaps I got yours. Mine came with 2
Seriously?? Wow. If you're serious then probably, haha. I emailed TMR Vault yesterday with no reply yet. Not sure how I can convince them and the forum I don't have, haha…
I know, when i opened mine the first thing I thought was I hope I didn't take away from anybody else's package. I'm sure Third Man will hook you up, but if for some reason they don't, I'll give you my extra.
Very generous, thank you! I hope to hear from them Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

tardis20 wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
tardis20 wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
tardis20 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
tardis20 wrote:S in MI arrived! However I'm missing the DW 7"!!! Anyone else have it missing???

I am somewhat new to Swirl and Vault (I started at #14) but I did open the shrink wrap...nothing. I know it's inside the LP but it wasn't this time. I checked quite a few times to make sure I wasn't crazy since TMR is excellent in shipping...
Seriously?? Wow. If you're serious then probably, haha. I emailed TMR Vault yesterday with no reply yet. Not sure how I can convince them and the forum I don't have, haha…
I know, when i opened mine the first thing I thought was I hope I didn't take away from anybody else's package. I'm sure Third Man will hook you up, but if for some reason they don't, I'll give you my extra.
Very generous, thank you! I hope to hear from them Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.
Third man is quite good at taking care of their customers
tardis20
Little Bird

Post by tardis20 »

arewhyehen wrote:
tardis20 wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
tardis20 wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
tardis20 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

Third man is quite good at taking care of their customers
Yeah for sure! My first Vault - Jack White live - the nice sleeve was cracked and they sent a replacement sleeve which was awesome!
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

DVD and LP are both fabulous. Can't stop playing! I'm not the biggest Racs fan, but this performance really captures them at an energetic show.
The 7" is my favorite part. The whole IDEA wows me. The cover art is amazing, the color is beautiful. Some people don't like these tracks, but I think they're amazing. I can't wait for more. This is the most exciting thing that's come out of the vault while I've been a member, IMHO! Love it!

PS- GEO Live @ TMR?
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

I like the album but I don't love it. I think I am burned out on live Racs. There seems to be a hell of a lot of it for a band whose recorded output is less than 90 minutes of music. It's a fine performance, but there are no real surprises, nothing to set it apart from the other releases IMO
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Jettkoral wrote:
PS- GEO Live @ TMR?
If I had to guess, I'd say that these tracks were recorded live to acetate in the Blue Room because GEO = George A. Ingram from Nashville Record Productions who runs the lathe at/for TMR. But, if they had recorded them live, I would have thought TMR would promote that fact given the publicity with the Live to Acetate series.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Melon
Little Ghost

Post by Melon »

i'm looking to let my DVD go (i never watch those) PM me if you need one, I'm thinking $15 shipped USA.
houses are full of things that gather dust
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

dunedin wrote:I like the album but I don't love it.... It's a fine performance, but there are no real surprises, nothing to set it apart from the other releases IMO
My feelings exactly. I've been hesitant to be critical of it because I know folks here attended the show and that makes this release special to them, but this is not the most exciting Racs show I've heard. Which is not to say it's a bad show, I can't imagine a bad Raconteurs show ever happening. And I completely understand why this one was chosen, it's the Ryman, the Mother Church, it had to be very meaningful to the band to perform there. But we have the TMR show from the night before, Jack's voice sounds like it wasnt' fully warmed up either night, and there were some much more interesting shows at which he sounded much better later in that mini-tour. I can't help but wish this lp and dvd had captured one of those, and have been filmed by someone else-- Though part of the issues with the dvd seem to be due to the apparent challenges of shooting at the Ryman. There are too many long shots from the side of the stage where we see the band members from the back or in profile, there are too many moments of almost complete darkness, I want to be able to see Jack play guitar, dammit, get a camera guy who can keep up with him and give us more close-ups of his hands!

To also have the tangible presentation of this album not match its advertising... I don't want to use the word "disappointing", but it definitely didn't live up to my expectations. I hate like hell to be so critical of anything to do with the Racs because I love this band so, so very much. But at the same time, that's exactly why I am critical. This is a good Vault package, but the Raconteurs are a glorious band and their package should have been glorious, too. Or else I just need to manage my expectations better.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Kali Durga wrote: Or else I just need to manage my expectations better.

Nah, they've kinda half-assed the Vault this year...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I don't entirely agree with that. First and second quarter were pretty darned terrific. And I may not love every single song on the Willie Nelson release, but the packaging of that record has the kind of quality that the Raconteurs release should have had.

From the very beginning, I've refused to set expectations for the things that Jack or Third Man do. I like it when they surprise me, even on those rare occasions when the surprise turns out to be something I'm not totally into. But when they show me a picture of a freaking gorgeous record and say that's what they're going to send to me, then they have essentially said "Expect this!", so I do. Y'know? I wanted to open up this package and be excited about what I was holding in my hands, and then excited by what I was hearing, then excited by what I was seeing. I could be satisfied with the lp/dvd content being good-rather-than-spectacular if I at least felt I was holding something beautiful in my hands. I'd put the Willie Nelson record out on display before I'd put this one out. As a fan of the Raconteurs, I have to say that's just wrong.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

They're testing me.
They knew my package was being delivered today and wanted to see if I'd cave and hear the song before spinning it.
Not happening TMR, not happening.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
josephodonnell
Little Acorn

Post by josephodonnell »

Anyone else feeling misled after the new DW single was marketed as only being available through the vault however they're releasing it digitally?
FUCK
FASHION
LETS
SMOKE
MENTHOLS
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

josephodonnell wrote:Anyone else feeling misled after the new DW single was marketed as only being available through the vault however they're releasing it digitally?
not me
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color