Any chance for me interning at TMR?

Your Turntable's Not Dead
reppindetroit
Little Bird

Any chance for me interning at TMR?

Post by reppindetroit »

I'm a 17 year old girl from Detroit, Michigan. I'll be turning 18 before the summer hits and will be moving to Nashville in April. I was wondering if anyone knew what the chances were for me interning at Third Man Records. My love for JW and TWS aside (because I know I won't be seeing him anywhere), I would love the experience it would give me, as an aspiring musician and producer. I don't want to plug my demos, or get famous overnight because JW digs my playing. I'm not stupid. All I'm thinking is, what better place to learn the tricks and trades in Nashville than Third Man Records?

I have no experience interning at a record label, but I worked at a music shop in Detroit. I've been playing guitar and the piano for 5 years, and I've been producing for a little bit less. However, I'm an excellent student, and I've been accepted to prestigious colleges all over Michigan (not sure if any of the scholastic credentials matter).

How would I even go about this? Who should I email? I was thinking about Swank or Blackwell themselves, asking them to just give an aspiring kid a chance, and reassuring that I'm not expecting overnight success for getting coffee for a bunch of techs, but I don't know if there is a contact that I'm better off reaching out to.
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Re: Any chance for me interning at TMR?

Post by PugFaceRex »

Fucking lol'd

10/10 if troll
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

However, if you're sincere, call up Third Man Records and ask them what you need to do to be considered. I'm sure there's a process.
westnashguy
Little Cream Soda

Post by westnashguy »

I was at the store last week when someone called inquiring about the job application they dropped off the week before. She told him there were no positions at the time but took his name and number to make sure someone would get back with him. So you may just want to call the store and ask one of the girls if there's an application or where to begin. They're very nice.
reppindetroit
Little Bird

Post by reppindetroit »

westnashguy wrote:I was at the store last week when someone called inquiring about the job application they dropped off the week before. She told him there were no positions at the time but took his name and number to make sure someone would get back with him. So you may just want to call the store and ask one of the girls if there's an application or where to begin. They're very nice.
Was a little apprehensive about calling. I kind of had a feeling i'd be given a hard time for wasting someone's time. Now I know better. Thanks brotha
reppindetroit
Little Bird

Post by reppindetroit »

shaneoftheroad wrote:However, if you're sincere, call up Third Man Records and ask them what you need to do to be considered. I'm sure there's a process.
I was being sincere.....
drnoone
Little Bird

Post by drnoone »

You might have a chance. Based on your avatar, you're pretty hot. Nothing but pretty girls working there from what i've seen
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

drnoone wrote:You might have a chance. Based on your avatar, you're pretty hot. Nothing but pretty girls working there from what i've seen
{insert pedobear here}
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

A lot of the people I've talked to that work there have all come from local universities or art schools in the Nashville area. I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence at the time or if they have a connection with some of the schools. Though, my first time down there back in 2011, there was a girl from Mississagua, Ontario, Canada which is close to where I'm from and a few others from the Detroit area..

It doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no and you won't be any worse off than you are now..
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

...that being said...I think the majority of us would love an intern position at TMR. I'm faxing my resume in the morning. Do you think they have a fax machine? One of the ones with the tabs at the sides you tear off with the holes to help guide the paper through the printer?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

drnoone wrote:You might have a chance. Based on your avatar, you're pretty hot. Nothing but pretty girls working there from what i've seen
LOL! Did you join just to make that comment?

Last visited:Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:37 pm
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Post by HammerOfTheGods »

arewhyehen wrote:...that being said...I think the majority of us would love an intern position at TMR. I'm faxing my resume in the morning. Do you think they have a fax machine? One of the ones with the tabs at the sides you tear off with the holes to help guide the paper through the printer?
We just got rid of a printer, this style, at work not too long ago. Hahaha
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

HammerOfTheGods wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:...that being said...I think the majority of us would love an intern position at TMR. I'm faxing my resume in the morning. Do you think they have a fax machine? One of the ones with the tabs at the sides you tear off with the holes to help guide the paper through the printer?
We just got rid of a printer, this style, at work not too long ago. Hahaha
Hahahah. Awesome! I remember having one as a kid.
reppindetroit
Little Bird

Post by reppindetroit »

arewhyehen wrote:A lot of the people I've talked to that work there have all come from local universities or art schools in the Nashville area. I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence at the time or if they have a connection with some of the schools. Though, my first time down there back in 2011, there was a girl from Mississagua, Ontario, Canada which is close to where I'm from and a few others from the Detroit area..

It doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no and you won't be any worse off than you are now..
Thanks! Were they interns or just workers?
westnashguy
Little Cream Soda

Post by westnashguy »

reppindetroit wrote:
westnashguy wrote:I was at the store last week when someone called inquiring about the job application they dropped off the week before. She told him there were no positions at the time but took his name and number to make sure someone would get back with him. So you may just want to call the store and ask one of the girls if there's an application or where to begin. They're very nice.
Was a little apprehensive about calling. I kind of had a feeling i'd be given a hard time for wasting someone's time. Now I know better. Thanks brotha
You're welcome! I had been going to the store about once a week when they were having the food drive contest in late November/early December. I asked about all the online sales they were having at the time and one of the girls said, "We have a slew of interns in the back packing the vault and sales packages right now. We're trying to get everything out by Christmas." So that's probably a good thing, lots of interns. Should mean lots of intern positions. Good luck to you!