iNDie Alloy Orchestra at TMR 10/12

rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

iNDie Alloy Orchestra at TMR 10/12

Post by rsimms3 »

I didn't see this posted elsewhere -

http://www.belcourt.org/events/indie-al ... rds.685256

At Nashville’s acclaimed Third Man Records (and one of the Belcourt’s favorite partners). Alloy Orchestra will perform a live score to accompany the 1929 classic silent film, MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA—with Third Man recording and mastering, live to acetate. Alloy Orchestra is a three-man ensemble, a group that writes and performs with an outrageous assemblage of found percussion and state-of-the-art electronics. Food and drink, too, at this memorable evening (food provided by Sardinia Enoteca).
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
mangry
Little Ghost

Re: iNDie Alloy Orchestra at TMR 10/12

Post by mangry »

No tix available unless you bought a week pass using a belcourt membership. My wife and I couldn't swing 125 a piece for this event.
Hyperbole used for effect!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... id=3911701
For the closing event on Saturday, Oct. 12, the fest moves to Third Man Records for a performance by three-man mad scientist percussion ensemble Alloy Orchestra, which will play a live score to accompany the 1929 silent Russian film Man With a Movie Camera. In addition to drinks and food by Sardinia Enoteca Ristorante, the night will see the creation of a vinyl acetate master of the show, with copies later available for purchase. Third Man co-founder Ben Swank, a spirited supporter of The Belcourt's educational and outreach initiatives, is an integral part of the continually growing relationship between Third Man and The Belcourt.

"We've expanded our capabilities here for different kind of recording methods, specifically the direct-to-acetate method that we're going to use for Alloy Orchestra," Swank explains. "So the idea developed from, 'Let's just have them in for a performance' to, 'Let's have them in and cut it direct to acetate.' So it made sense to have it here for iNDie fest, showing people our continuing relationship. It's always good to have something cool here that can benefit The Belcourt."

Swank says that ensuring the sustainability of The Belcourt's mission of engaging, enriching and educating through innovative film programming in the historic theater and in the community falls in line with Third Man Record's philosophy.

"Education is constantly being devalued in this country," Swank says. "Anything artistic or cultural or austere — or something you're not getting in a textbook in this part of the regimented curriculum — is difficult to get directly into kids' hands. A big part of Third Man's kind of credo has always been that it's up to the adults of the world to teach their children about the romance of tangible things, and the romance of getting out of their homes and seeing things, discussing things.

"The romance of film is something that I think people should be educated on early on," he continues. "In this country, we don't really give children enough credit for their imaginations and their intelligence to process what they're seeing. Film is a really brilliant way to directly communicate with children, and for them to communicate with each other."
Photos just posted on TMR's Instagram (and Tumblr) from the event-- http://instagram.com/thirdmanrecordsofficial#

"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Kali Durga wrote:http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... id=3911701
For the closing event on Saturday, Oct. 12, the fest moves to Third Man Records for a performance by three-man mad scientist percussion ensemble Alloy Orchestra, which will play a live score to accompany the 1929 silent Russian film Man With a Movie Camera. In addition to drinks and food by Sardinia Enoteca Ristorante, the night will see the creation of a vinyl acetate master of the show, with copies later available for purchase. Third Man co-founder Ben Swank, a spirited supporter of The Belcourt's educational and outreach initiatives, is an integral part of the continually growing relationship between Third Man and The Belcourt.

"We've expanded our capabilities here for different kind of recording methods, specifically the direct-to-acetate method that we're going to use for Alloy Orchestra," Swank explains. "So the idea developed from, 'Let's just have them in for a performance' to, 'Let's have them in and cut it direct to acetate.' So it made sense to have it here for iNDie fest, showing people our continuing relationship. It's always good to have something cool here that can benefit The Belcourt."

Swank says that ensuring the sustainability of The Belcourt's mission of engaging, enriching and educating through innovative film programming in the historic theater and in the community falls in line with Third Man Record's philosophy.

"Education is constantly being devalued in this country," Swank says. "Anything artistic or cultural or austere — or something you're not getting in a textbook in this part of the regimented curriculum — is difficult to get directly into kids' hands. A big part of Third Man's kind of credo has always been that it's up to the adults of the world to teach their children about the romance of tangible things, and the romance of getting out of their homes and seeing things, discussing things.

"The romance of film is something that I think people should be educated on early on," he continues. "In this country, we don't really give children enough credit for their imaginations and their intelligence to process what they're seeing. Film is a really brilliant way to directly communicate with children, and for them to communicate with each other."
Photos just posted on TMR's Instagram (and Tumblr) from the event-- http://instagram.com/thirdmanrecordsofficial#

Excellent!
Hyperbole used for effect!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Wow. I had not payed the event much attention. $125 is a little steep but it had to be a cool event. Worth seeing for sure.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody