Detroit Rock City Panel Discussion 7/17/13

orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Re: Detroit Rock City Panel Discussion 7/17/13

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I apologize now, for any misinformation. I do not know all the bands that were mentioned, or hardly anyone that was mentioned tonight. Some names might be wrong, oops.

Nice evening, maybe about 50 people there for the panel. Had black chairs set up in the Blue Room. Screen pulled down at the front of the stage with a 16mm projector in back.

Blackwell came up to the mic, thanked us for coming and introduced what they were going to start off the night with. 16mm footage of MC5 shows and some Stooges shows from '68/'69 that hadn't been seen before. It was probably about 5 minutes or more of footage. Lots of tight pants and flow-y/sequined shirts and jackets, MC5 had a bunch of American flags as their backdrop on their stage. Footage of Iggy showed him very young in some weird, brown leather pants. Falling all over the place and it wasn't long before he was shirtless. Footage went back to MC5, and then cut to some naked guy in a shower, then to a diner, and then to some MC5 footage sitting around a table drinking.

Footage over, screen goes up, the 4 panel members take the stage at the table with mics set up. Blackwell was first, then Steve Miller (author of the book, Detroit Rock City, and member of the hardcore band, The Fix), third was Jerry Vile (guitarist of The Boners, and part of Fun magazine, which later became Orbit magazine, famously featured on Quentin Tarantino's shirt in Pulp Fiction), and last on the panel was Scott Richardson (member of The Chosen Few as well as Scott Richardson Case, which later became SRC).

Blackwell was the host and directing most of the conversation through the evening. He started out with Scott since he was the eldest and his "time" as part of the Detroit music scene was the 60s. He discussed being the first band to play in the Grande Ballroom in Detroit, and the Flint, MI Fest which was held in a high school and the stage was some tables tied together. He told of the origins of the band, The Chosen Few, which had Ron Asheton and I think, for a short time at least, Iggy Pop. Apparently Scott had gone to Discount Records in Ann Arbor and Jim Osterberg (Iggy) was stocking the shelves, Scott had originally gone to talk to the manager but he was out, Iggy called up Ron and he came down to the record store, and friendships were made and The Chosen Few was formed. The band only lasted a year and a half and they recorded one album, of which there are only 3 copies (I think). Ben had them play a song from the album, Inflamed. It was a great song and really quite awesome. You could see Scott closing his eyes and listening, you could tell it was taking him back to the short time the band was around. At the end of the song they pointed out that Ron Asheton played bass.

Question was asked whether or not it seemed like a birthright to get a job working on a car manufacturing line due to living in Detroit. Scott answered that music or crime seemed like the only way out. I don't think much else was said about this question, the topic turned into dealing with the Vietnam War draft. Jerry said his Dad had told him, "As long as you aren't gay, or go to Canada (to avoid the draft), I don't care what you do." Scott told a story regarding the draft and that before he got on the bus to go to the draft offices, he took some high quality, prescription grade speed and was out of it by the time the bus got there. He was the last one off the bus and was holding on so tight to the seat in front of him that he couldn't let go. He ended up with a Bill Cosby look alike psychologist that asked him some questions and one of his responses was that he "was not confined to this planet."

Steve then told a story of the first time he heard MC5. He and his brother were walking through a park and heard some loud noise coming out of a building in the middle of the park. He and his brother went to investigate, saw these hippies doing soundcheck and yelled into them asking who they were and if they had any music out. The drummer told them they were MC5 and they had a single out "Kick out the Jams, motherfuckers". As a young kid, he and his brother thought this was so cool, and that was their first intro into MC5.

Scott talked about Goose Lake Festival, the 120,000 people and the LSD (he was real excited about the LSD). It was the Woodstock of Detroit, but very little press about it because the organizers weren't giving out press passes. All sorts of drugs were everywhere and cops had agreed not to come in and bust anyone, however, they were waiting outside the gates to get people for drugs. Goose Lake Festival was the last big festival in Detroit, that type of event didn't translate well to the city. During the talk about the festival, Scott had a good quote, "No such thing as an ex-Detroiter."

I guess I'll stop there, it's all I've finished up until Blackwell pointed out that it will be made into a podcast. If you don't want to wait until the podcast, I can write down the rest of my notes if you want. So far, the above is only about 1/4 of the notes I took. The songs were amazing. I was so excited to hear the White Stripes song at the end. Well worth the hour drive down, and the ticket price, just to hear that song. I was shocked that a couple people got up and left during the middle of the song, and some others were talking?!?! I couldn't fathom doing either of those when being given the opportunity to hear such an awesome and rare song. Oh well, their loss. Fantastic evening and very glad Meg and I went, very entertaining. Glad I bought the book and had Steve sign it for me, excited to start reading it tomorrow.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

orangeshoeskid wrote:I was shocked that a couple people got up and left during the middle of the song, and some others were talking?!?!
Are you serious, man? Not cool at all.
sjcapps07
Little Acorn

Post by sjcapps07 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
orangeshoeskid wrote:I was shocked that a couple people got up and left during the middle of the song, and some others were talking?!?!
Are you serious, man? Not cool at all.
Right? I wanted to tell them they could, y'know, go out to the patio if they wanted to talk while a never-before-heard White Stripes recording was playing, but I decided to block out their voices as best as I could.
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

subpopfan1 wrote:If you folks can wait, we'll make this available as a podcast (minus the songs) as soon as we can.
*Thank you.*
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Looking forward to the podcast. And I'll second Woody's plea for the songs played to someday be available in some format.

Oh, and Aaron-- Meant to thank you for your notes. It'll be very cool to listen to the podcast, but it's also interesting to get the perspective of someone who was there and to hear about what was going on beyond the panel discussion.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

cmelo wrote:
subpopfan1 wrote:If you folks can wait, we'll make this available as a podcast (minus the songs) as soon as we can.
*Thank you.*
+1
and
plus the songs please... :D
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

bh1644 wrote:
cmelo wrote:
*Thank you.*
+1
and

yeah or even just a list of the songs played would be really cool.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Stay Gold wrote:
bh1644 wrote:
cmelo wrote:
*Thank you.*
+1
and

First song was... "Inflamed" by The Chosen Few (released on an album with only 3 copies)

Second song was... "Meet me at the Movies" by The Go (version that was not on the album, Whatcha Doin', and features some White Stripes sounding guitar solos by Jack)

Third song was... "You're Right, I'm Wrong" by The White Stripes (recorded direct to acetate in Australia during their 2000 tour, never released)
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

orangeshoeskid wrote: First song was... "Inflamed" by The Chosen Few (released on an album with only 3 copies)

Second song was... "Meet me at the Movies" by The Go (version that was not on the album, Whatcha Doin', and features some White Stripes sounding guitar solos by Jack)

Third song was... "You're Right, I'm Wrong" by The White Stripes (recorded direct to acetate in Australia during their 2000 tour, never released)
Yowza! Thanks Aaron!
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
Hans_ka
Little Acorn

Post by Hans_ka »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
bh1644 wrote:
cmelo wrote:
*Thank you.*
+1
and

hird song was... "You're Right, I'm Wrong" by The White Stripes (recorded direct to acetate in Australia during their 2000 tour, never released)
My heart just sank.
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

orangeshoeskid wrote:
Stay Gold wrote:
bh1644 wrote:
cmelo wrote:
*Thank you.*
+1
and

First song was... "Inflamed" by The Chosen Few (released on an album with only 3 copies)

wow thanks a ton. you're info on this has been great!
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Hope the Stripes song finds its way into a Vault package. Wow.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

So the show recap showed up when I clicked on the vault, but said I had to sign in.... then I signed in and it was gone. Anyone see it?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

The podcast? Or the original post about it?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Kali Durga wrote:The podcast? Or the original post about it?
Looked new, but I couldn't see it and then it was gone.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net