Tickets for Pokey and Melvins available now

chaptertwentyone
Little People

Re: Tickets for Pokey and Melvins available now

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Kali Durga wrote:
grumblestiltskin wrote:With the document reissues, I think the motivation was that you listen to it on vinyl or not at all.
I can completely understand and agree with that-- when I'm at home. But I don't have a turntable in my car and I do like to listen to blues while I'm driving.
I think it all boils down to personal preference.
When I purchase a new release I'll get it on vinyl first.
Experience it like that for a while and then make the move to CD for my hour commute during the work week.
Following that, I might rip the album to my computer and IPod so I can listen in the shower, at the gym or skateboarding.
However, there are certain releases, such as 7"s that stay exclusively to my turntable.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

grumblestiltskin wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:We need download cards in the Document releases. Splitting the tracks on Charley Patton was a royal pain in the neck.
I would like to see download cards with all releases except the Vault. I can understand why they don't do those. But everything else. Hook us up. For fuck's sake!
With the document reissues, I think the motivation was that you listen to it on vinyl or not at all. But yeah download cards (or downloads made available through your TMR shop account) would be welcome for just about everything - 7"s included.
I'd have said that the primary goal with the Document reissues was to introduce the music to a new generation who'd otherwise overlook it, which makes the omission of download cards rather odd.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Jamie wrote:
grumblestiltskin wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:We need download cards in the Document releases. Splitting the tracks on Charley Patton was a royal pain in the neck.
I would like to see download cards with all releases except the Vault. I can understand why they don't do those. But everything else. Hook us up. For fuck's sake!
With the document reissues, I think the motivation was that you listen to it on vinyl or not at all. But yeah download cards (or downloads made available through your TMR shop account) would be welcome for just about everything - 7"s included.
I'd have said that the primary goal with the Document reissues was to introduce the music to a new generation who'd otherwise overlook it, which makes the omission of download cards rather odd.
That is one well made point. Those Iphones, pods, etc. do not play vinyl.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

My clear copy had a download code. Downloaded. :D
Hyperbole used for effect!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Cool beans
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

chaptertwentyone wrote:I think it all boils down to personal preference.
When I purchase a new release I'll get it on vinyl first.
Experience it like that for a while and then make the move to CD for my hour commute during the work week.
[Etc.]
My preference is very similar to yours. I love to rip from vinyl because I enjoy hearing the needle lift/drop and any snap/crackle/pops that are captured. But as I stated on the last page, splitting the tracks after I ripped the Charley Patton record was a pain in the freaking neck. There's barely a second between some of those songs. I haven't bothered to take the time to rip the rest of the Documents because of that, and am thus missing the opportunity to listen to them away from home.

Fortunately, Pokey's record will likely be a nice easy rip'n'split, so I'll be able to hear it's lovely vinyl crackle both at home and away.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

Kali Durga wrote:I love to rip from vinyl because I enjoy hearing the needle lift/drop and any snap/crackle/pops that are captured. But as I stated on the last page, splitting the tracks after I ripped the Charley Patton record was a pain in the freaking neck.
If I get something on vinyl I do have a preference to convert to digital for the car/commute, and I feel your pain when it's not clear where the tracks change, or the breaks are extremely short. I seem to take about 2, 3 or even 4 times the length of the album to get a usable version, even without cleaning the audio. My preference would by to split the tracks, but if the Document series is so difficult to split, is it not still worth converting to listen to the sides? I think I'd rather have the option of listening to the others on the move - committing to 22 minutes of Blind Willie McTell can't be that bad!

More generally, I think download cards should be a standard for vinyl these days. I'm not a fan of compressed music, so I even more prefer when vinyl comes with the CD, rather than the download card (e.g. Dylan's recent albums, or the new Primal Scream record) - as you can then rip the CD as well if needed. I doubt it costs very much, and I'd happily pay a wee bit more for the option. I also wish (rant starting) that vinyl buyers didn't almost always miss out on bonus material that's on CD special editions, etc. To make a sweeping generalisation, vinyl buyers are more likely to be the most passionate music fans, so why should they have to buy multiple copies of albums to get all tracks/digital versions? It's probably precisely because they are the most passionate that the record companies think that if they do withold some material that they'll profit more from double-dipping completists.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Chiefbrody wrote:I also wish (rant starting) that vinyl buyers didn't almost always miss out on bonus material that's on CD special editions, etc. To make a sweeping generalisation, vinyl buyers are more likely to be the most passionate music fans, so why should they have to buy multiple copies of albums to get all tracks/digital versions? It's probably precisely because they are the most passionate that the record companies think that if they do withold some material that they'll profit more from double-dipping completists.
Personally, I encounter more vinyl exclusive B sides than I do iTunes exclusive bonus tracks. It's annoying that even Jack did that once, but I'm guessing since it was US only that was a Warner decision he had no say in.
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

Jamie wrote:I encounter more vinyl exclusive B sides than I do iTunes exclusive bonus tracks
Yeah I can see that, Jamie. I was thinking more about albums with 2nd CDs of bonus tracks, rather than singles. I can think of a few albums this year already where I've bought a 2cd 'deluxe' version rather than buying the LP. In some cases the LP has had the CD, but not access to the bonus tracks. It tends to make me choose CD over vinyl, which isn't my listening preference.

Strangely, I don't mind itunes exclusive tracks so much, as long as they're available to buy individually. I like to get music in the best quality format available to me, so if it's AAC/MP3 only, it doesn't wind me up so much! :D

Sorry, I'm keeping this off topic a bit. This is probably worth a separate discussion topic, if there isn't already one.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Send the shows are over, maybe lock and move. Thanks
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

The Melvins Live At Third Man Records
TMR-221

Side One:
1. Charmicarmicat

Side Two:
1. It's Shoved
2. Anaconda
3. At The Stake
4. Queen
5. Cow
6. Your Blessened
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Anyone receive or pick up their Melvins Black and Blue yet? I see the regular black version is listed in the store this morning.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Freter
Little Acorn

Post by Freter »

rsimms3 wrote:Anyone receive or pick up their Melvins Black and Blue yet? I see the regular black version is listed in the store this morning.
I don't know, but if they made the Melvin's that fast, I almost ga-run-tee Pokey as the next vault.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Why Vault? Why not for regular sale?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Freter wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:Anyone receive or pick up their Melvins Black and Blue yet? I see the regular black version is listed in the store this morning.
I don't know, but if they made the Melvin's that fast, I almost ga-run-tee Pokey as the next vault.
No thanks