Seasick Steve with Promised Land-Oct. 26th, 2012

andyb24
Little Bird

Re: Seasick Steve with Promised Land-Oct. 26th, 2012

Post by andyb24 »

I know--tough job, right? :) How many songs did they end up playing together? Sounds like the show went really long--too bad some of the songs might not make it to the recording.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

andyb24 wrote:I know--tough job, right? :) How many songs did they end up playing together? Sounds like the show went really long--too bad some of the songs might not make it to the recording.
Basically, the set was arranged as follows: "Diddley Bo" to warm up the crowd and set levels, 7 songs cut to record, and the remainder of the set was recorded to tape. I predict a Vault release of the extras...my prediction is that instead of a singles comp, TMR will release a "best of TMR live" comp.
Hyperbole used for effect!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Steve performed a warm up song, then the album, then the after show was almost as long if not as long as the album. I don't have a clue as to what time it started but it felt like about 2 hours, give or take a minute. A whole lot of bands just do the album and split, it was nice to get a lengthy show.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

SO are the live at TMRs only gonna be 7 or 8 songs now that they're cut to acetate? What's the benefit of acetate over tape? I don't know much about these things.
gdm
Little Acorn

Post by gdm »

mangry wrote: I predict a Vault release of the extras...my prediction is that instead of a singles comp, TMR will release a "best of TMR live" comp.
I hope your right!
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

TheHen0 wrote:SO are the live at TMRs only gonna be 7 or 8 songs now that they're cut to acetate? What's the benefit of acetate over tape? I don't know much about these things.
Yeah, the Shins set was 4 on a side if memory serves me. The Kills was the same. SSS was 4 and 3 respectively.

I think the benefit is the immediacy of having the record mixed and mastered as the performance is happening, as all of those decisions occur live as the record is cut. TMR can then take the already-finished record and use it to make the mothers for the pressing.

Previously, they had to record the set to probably 8 or 16 track tape, listen back and mix the recording track by track, master the recording for vinyl, then do whatever conversions occur to prepare the record for vinyl mastering. An analogy would be taking photographs on analog film versus a digital camera. On analog film, you have to get all of the settings right the first time, before you take the picture (that would be the acetate recording.)

Plus, recording straight to vinyl is so much cooler! :lol:
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Does it actually cut down the time they can record being cut strait to acetate or are SSS and the kills songs just longer to only have about 8 songs on the album?
tcricha43
Little Cream Soda

Post by tcricha43 »

Moller72 wrote:Does it actually cut down the time they can record being cut strait to acetate or are SSS and the kills songs just longer to only have about 8 songs on the album?
It was twenty minutes each side.
Last edited by tcricha43 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Moller, you have a point there. Even when they recorded straight to tape, the iPad timer was always set for 20:00.
sjcapps07
Little Acorn

Post by sjcapps07 »

Moller72 wrote:Does it actually cut down the time they can record being cut strait to acetate or are SSS and the kills songs just longer to only have about 8 songs on the album?
Yeah, I think just longer songs. Also, right when the first side started recording Steve spent about a minute looking for his other guitar, and when the other side started recording the first two minutes were him bringing up Luther and Alison. Also, there was a lot of end-of-song jamming which dragged the length out.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Really enjoyed this show. Brought my dad along with my wife and I. He happened to be in town and figured it would be a fun way to spend a Friday night. He had never heard SSS before and thought it was great.
What an awesome show. He started playing at about 9:05 and finished just a few minutes before 11:00. It was certainly packed in there too. Far more older guys in there than most shows. Seemed like a far more male crowd than usual.
I agree with Woody that this is easily one of the best shows, right up there with the 5,6,7,8s. After seeing Jack walking around I figured there was a good chance of him going up during an encore like he did with the 5,6,7,8s, but nope. It was still awesome seeing Alison on the side of the stage throughout the show and joining him up there a couple times.
Oh, and perhaps it was because it was so full, but it didn't seem like TMR was enforcing the no photos or videos rule. They had signs posted for it but I saw multiple people recording video and taking pictures.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

maybe we will catch some bits of that show after all... i think the exposure might be good for steve at this point anyhow... i will kick around youtube later and see what i can see
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
drummintodabeat
Little Acorn

Post by drummintodabeat »

I'm soooooo ready to hear Steve's killer set again. This LP is gonna be spinning quite a lot in the near future... 8-)
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

drummintodabeat wrote:I'm soooooo ready to hear Steve's killer set again. This LP is gonna be spinning quite a lot in the near future... 8-)
Totally!! Rocktober was amazing. I am currently waiting for King Tuff, Promised Land, Shins, Kills, and SSS records. Gonna wear that stylus out when they finally drop!
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I thought them switching to the lathe was supposed to make the turnaround for these black and blues a bit quicker? I wonder if they ran into some unforeseen issues with the lathe..
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+