Little Acorn

Re: Black lips with Natural Child 6/11

Post by 2crazikids »

Was natty child playing this show too?
sjcapps07
Little Acorn

Post by sjcapps07 »

No Natural Child; Cheap Time played, and they recorded another Live at TMR 7" for them. Post-show pre-orders included both the black&blue of The Black Lips and a split 7" of the live Cheap Time single.

I missed Cheap Time, but The Black Lips were great. I didn't know much about them going in and was pleasantly surprised. Very fun show. The crowd was even moving a little bit--whoa!
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Black Lips were exactly what I expected - drunk, snotty, and a lot of fun! A few songs were flat out awful, but when they were on, they nailed it! Standout songs for me were "O! Katrina," "Time," and "Drugs."

Cheap Time was cool too! I hadn't caught one of their sets before. I expected pretty straightforward punk, but I liked the psych-inspired droning tangents their songs would go in to. Can't wait for that 7"...split color, y'all! First TMR live 7" on split color vinyl.
Hyperbole used for effect!
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

For anyone who has seen the giant fan in the Blue Room, about 3 songs into the Black Lips set they played Oh Katrina and they started throwing out toilet paper rolls. There was toilet paper spinning from the fan for the whole show, they threw more out later in the set during Drugs. The lights were awesome too, with the typical moody Third Man lighting and some of the old fashioned oil wheel projections for a few of the songs that illuminated the whole back wall of the stage. Their stage banter was hilarious. It was Ben Blackwell's birthday (thanks for inviting us Ben!) so there were festivities going down for all that too. Cheap Time...good music, not so much on the stage presence. For the kind of music they played, I don't see how you can just be static the whole time. ALL IN ALL though, this was one of my favorite shows at Third Man. The m.o. of that place seems to be that way though. Every show is better and better.

I'll post in the catalog numbers thread too, but the catalog numbers for the records are: Black Lips TMR159 and Cheap Time TMR160. And for what it's worth Blackwell said it would be a black and blue single.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Disappointed the didn't play Bad Kids or Navajo, and the crowd was a lot more tame than I was expecting. Still an awesome show. It wad my first time seeing Cheap Time and they were alright. Very little stage presence, but still more than Craig Fox. Seemed short too.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Double post. Oops.
Last edited by orangeshoeskid on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Fun show, enjoyed the black lips. Tonight was the first time for me seeing the black lips, thought they put on a great show. Happy Birthday Ben. I thought Cheap Time was pretty good, the live single should be good and what a surprise, going to be a split color. Should look cute displayed with a 12" B & B. Cool poster.

Got a couple of records from the Black lips Merch, a clear 12", the new 12" and a promo only 45.

Third Man did a great job getting people in and out, becoming a smooth operation ! Thanks TMR. Alot of fun for $10.

Looking forward to the next show.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

I came for black lips but left into cheap time. black lips just didn't pick the songs I wanted them to
so if anyone wants to do a Black Lips B&B swap I'd go for a Pujol. what's the total on the pre order btw? heading over there in a bit
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

Black and Blue- $20, Cheap Time Split- $10, and the poster was $25.
alteridiom
Little Acorn

Post by alteridiom »

Great show as always at TMR. I wasn't hugely impressed with Cheap Time. I loved their guitar solo breakdown parts but the overall song structures just didn't do it for me. They were also really, really loud. My ears were still ringing this morning and had a few points during the show where they actually hurt. The Black Lips were cocky and fantastic. I had no knowledge of their stuff previous to this. I walked away impressed. I have been to quite a few TMR shows and this was by far the most rowdy one I've been too. Had less of a cocktail/jazz bar vibe going like most of the TMR shows I've been too. Seems like they were really out to give Ben a good birthday. Heard talk amongst the TMR staff of an after party. No sight of Jack anywhere. The black and blue's always make the show well worth it but the bonus of getting the first black and blue live 7" is an excellent addition. I will have an extra set to sell/trade if anyone wants to work something out.
Looking for White Denim Black and Blue
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I'm surprised people thought it was a rowdy crowd. I was slightly worried about being up front from what I've heard of Black Lips shows (loved them for years but never got a chance to see them). I was expecting the place to go crazy, stuff to get broken, and a giant penis spray painted on the wall by the end of the night. To us it seemed like most people were playing it cool and/or didn't know lyrics. I'd say the craziest show at TMR would have been JEFF during next big Nashville. It was packed and the crowd surged from side to side throughout the entire set and people went wild.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

It's coming soon, ladies and gentlemen...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hyperbole used for effect!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Black lips with Natural Child 6/11

Post by Alabama Woody »

mangry wrote:It's coming soon, ladies and gentlemen...
Awesome!
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
drummintodabeat
Little Acorn

Post by drummintodabeat »

mangry wrote:It's coming soon, ladies and gentlemen...
Are these ready to pick up now? Where did you see this at???