Peter Walker Live at Third Man Fri July 18

mangry
Little Ghost

Re: Peter Walker Live at Third Man Fri July 18

Post by mangry »

William Tyler 's set was beautiful - three acoustic songs (one new, which will be released on the black and blue 45) and two electric. I was awestruck seeing such a virtuoso perform three feet away from me.

Peter Walker's set was cool too. He took the audience through a song for every key (abcdefg) in both flamenco and raga styles. He played some dubious songs on the piano, but his guitar stuff was great. I appreciated his guitar lessons throughout the set ("think of a guitar as a four-stringed Instrument with two bass strings for accompaniment.") I am going to try to write a song with that mentality.

Also, I told some drunken asshats that nobody wanted to hear their bullshit commentary while he was playing. They were loud and obnoxious. One said "Django called and wants his guitar back." Hopefully you will hear me cuss them on the record! (I did have the courtesy to wait until a song break) :clap: that clap was for myself.
Hyperbole used for effect!
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

mangry wrote:William Tyler 's set was beautiful - three acoustic songs (one new, which will be released on the black and blue 45) and two electric. I was awestruck seeing such a virtuoso perform three feet away from me.

Peter Walker's set was cool too. He took the audience through a song for every key (abcdefg) in both flamenco and raga styles. He played some dubious songs on the piano, but his guitar stuff was great. I appreciated his guitar lessons throughout the set ("think of a guitar as a four-stringed Instrument with two bass strings for accompaniment.") I am going to try to write a song with that mentality.

Also, I told some drunken asshats that nobody wanted to hear their bullshit commentary while he was playing. They were loud and obnoxious. One said "Django called and wants his guitar back." Hopefully you will hear me cuss them on the record! (I did have the courtesy to wait until a song break) :clap: that clap was for myself.
Thanks for the review.
Good to see more B&B 7" being released.
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mangry wrote:Also, I told some drunken asshats that nobody wanted to hear their bullshit commentary while he was playing. They were loud and obnoxious. One said "Django called and wants his guitar back." Hopefully you will hear me cuss them on the record! (I did have the courtesy to wait until a song break) :clap: that clap was for myself.
I'm gonna be sure to listen for that. Really looking forward to this record because I've been wanting to get into more pure guitar music. I was thinking of starting with John Fahey, but then TMR came along and put on this show. Synchronicity, coincidence of timing, whatever, they continue to be a huge part in the furthering of my musical education. So I'll explore Fahey and Walker at the same time (depending on when this record becomes available, of course).
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

KaliDurga wrote: Really looking forward to this record because I've been wanting to get into more pure guitar music. I was thinking of starting with John Fahey, but then TMR came along and put on this show. Synchronicity, coincidence of timing, whatever, they continue to be a huge part in the furthering of my musical education. So I'll explore Fahey and Walker at the same time (depending on when this record becomes available, of course).
Fahey is great. Definitely check out William Tyler's records. Behold the Spirit and Impossible Truth are both fantastic. He also has a great 45 on the Nashville's Dead label. He definitely draws from Fahey and adds a sort of apocalyptic vibe to some of his songs. His melodies are also worm their way into your head in a most pleasing way. Of course Django Reinhardt is amazing (and sounds absolutely nothing like the American primitive players, so I don't know what those fools were talking about.)
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

If I'd gotten to this point a couple years ago, I would have started with Reinhardt. But Fahey's name has come up repeatedly in my exploration of the blues, so that connection makes it a natural for me to begin with him. Django's definitely on the list, and now Walker and Tyler, too.

As always, so much music, so little time...
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Kali Durga wrote:If I'd gotten to this point a couple years ago, I would have started with Reinhardt. But Fahey's name has come up repeatedly in my exploration of the blues, so that connection makes it a natural for me to begin with him. Django's definitely on the list, and now Walker and Tyler, too.

As always, so much music, so little time...
As much as I hate to say it, if you need crash courses in artists, Spotify is a great resource. I use it on my iPad all the time because it has lots of artists and you can listen to full albums.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Good suggestion, but it's very rare that I listen to music on the computer. I can't listen at work and I just don't sit at the computer for long periods at home. It's either records in the house or listening to ripped records in the car for me. I'm sure I can find some stuff in my local record shops. I came across a pristine Django Reinhardt 75 last summer, but the guy was asking something like $80 and I wasn't ready to sink that sort of money into this music at that time.
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

Really wanted to see this show, definitely going to buy this record.

On the note of Fahey, I'd also recommend reading the book that just came out on him - "Dance of Death: The Life of John Fahey". Really interesting read, he was quite troubled and pretty volatile (hated the hippies attracted to his music). Also kind of interesting to know he was collecting old blues 78s before it was en vogue to do so, a real pioneer.

If you want to delve further into solo acoustic music, I would also suggest Leo Kottke, Glenn Jones and Jack Rose, other great players in that same vein.

Also, for more contemporary, look into Daniel Bachman (previously on same label as Frank Fairfield). He's pretty young, and his stuff is incredible - really takes that kind of american primitive style to a new level. Saw him play in a guitar shop- you couldn't meet a nicer guy.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Parquet courts happened in June, Peter Walker in July, and Benjamin Booker in September. No news yet on this release (nor the William Tyler 45 from his set, which will certainly be awesome.)
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

According to the shopgirl today, the William Tyler 45 will now be pressed as a full LP with the entire set. Those of us who preordered a 45 will get the LP at no extra charge. Bonus. :clap:
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mangry wrote:According to the shopgirl today, the William Tyler 45 will now be pressed as a full LP with the entire set. Those of us who preordered a 45 will get the LP at no extra charge. Bonus. :clap:
Ah, that's very cool. Any indication of when it'll be released?
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Kali Durga wrote:
mangry wrote:According to the shopgirl today, the William Tyler 45 will now be pressed as a full LP with the entire set. Those of us who preordered a 45 will get the LP at no extra charge. Bonus. :clap:
She said it will be a while longer, as they had started production on the 45s and then changed their minds. Wonder if any of those were actually pressed and will pop up somewhere...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mangry wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
She said it will be a while longer, as they had started production on the 45s and then changed their minds. Wonder if any of those were actually pressed and will pop up somewhere...
Anymore word on this? I just saw that William's got a new album out, Modern Country-- http://www.spin.com/2016/05/review-will ... n-country/ Would still really love to hear his Blue room set.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

saw this real quick and thought it said paul weller.

dammit.
he is everything i hate...
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Saw this real quick and thought it said Paul Walker. What's that guy up to these days?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net