White Swirl Record Booth Artists/TMR Record Booth

rival
Little Ghost

Re: TMR Record Booth/ White Swirlers Record Booth Artists

Post by rival »

The booth wasn't there when I went down for Pokey and I was a bit disappointed. I can tell you this though, when I do go back down and it is working, I will most certainly be doing an original song.

Going in there and recording yourself doing a cover seems kind of silly. I mean sure there are exceptions. Like if you're recording a song that has sentimental value between you and someone else and you're sending the record (or a recording of it) to them. But to go in there and do a cover just because you can play it better than coming up with an original. I just think that's kind of a missed opportunity.

I'll take a good original over a great cover any day.

That's just me though.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

rival wrote:The booth wasn't there when I went down for Pokey and I was a bit disappointed. I can tell you this though, when I do go back down and it is working, I will most certainly be doing an original song.

Going in there and recording yourself doing a cover seems kind of silly. I mean sure there are exceptions. Like if you're recording a song that has sentimental value between you and someone else and you're sending the record (or a recording of it) to them. But to go in there and do a cover just because you can play it better than coming up with an original. I just think that's kind of a missed opportunity.

That's just me though.
For now this is my only chance to hear my music on vinyl...good call!
Hyperbole used for effect!
redflag
Little Cream Soda

Post by redflag »

rival wrote:The booth wasn't there when I went down for Pokey and I was a bit disappointed. I can tell you this though, when I do go back down and it is working, I will most certainly be doing an original song.

That's just me though.
Agreed. That said, I'm planning a cover. My four year old daughter LOVES Hotel Yorba. We're going to duet it in October if at all possible.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Has anyone mentioned yet that Willie Nelson recorded Redheaded Stranger in the booth when he was there for his birthday show?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mushmouth
Little Cream Soda

Post by mushmouth »

Kali Durga wrote:Has anyone mentioned yet that Willie Nelson recorded Redheaded Stranger in the booth when he was there for his birthday show?
I would really like to hear that!
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Besides the guitar, do they have any other noise makers there to use?
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Vuvuzelas
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mushmouth wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Has anyone mentioned yet that Willie Nelson recorded Redheaded Stranger in the booth when he was there for his birthday show?
I would really like to hear that!
You can hear a few seconds of it in the CMT broadcast-- http://pitchfork.com/news/51272-watch-w ... n-records/ It begins around 27:50.

Jack's like a little kid around that thing.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

I remember a mandolin, a set of bongos, and a tambourine, but there was more gadgetry. Could kick myself for not taking a photo. I'm sure someone more mentally composed captured it.

Jamie wrote:Besides the guitar, do they have any other noise makers there to use?
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

anonymousbrunette wrote:I remember a mandolin, a set of bongos, and a tambourine, but there was more gadgetry. Could kick myself for not taking a photo. I'm sure someone more mentally composed captured it.

Jamie wrote:Besides the guitar, do they have any other noise makers there to use?
There's a pic over at the Vault.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Swirl Name- mangry
Band- Maniac McGee covering Daniel Johnston
Track- True Love Will Find You in the End
Date- 6-26-13
Catalog Number- W.S. 006

I was very happy with my recording! I would love to upload it for folks to hear once I rip it, but someone needs to walk me thru it cuz I kinda suck at the Internet.

Recording in the booth was a dream come true. Any musicians on here need to get in the booth! Non musicians too!
Hyperbole used for effect!
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

The record booth has it's own page off of the TMR main page now with one person having submitted their recording, but currently the link doesn't seem to be working.

http://thirdmanrecords.com/novelties/record-booth/
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
AJ123
Little Ghost

Post by AJ123 »

rsimms3 wrote:The record booth has it's own page off of the TMR main page now with one person having submitted their recording, but currently the link doesn't seem to be working.

The link worked for me. The recording that was submitted was pretty good too.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

AJ123 wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:The record booth has it's own page off of the TMR main page now with one person having submitted their recording, but currently the link doesn't seem to be working.

The link worked for me. The recording that was submitted was pretty good too.
Tried it again here at home and it worked. Agreed, good job Jared!
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

Post by Getbacktogether »

Any one know the date the Willie Nelson record booth was recorded? I think it was in April but idk the date.