Sun Records Reissue Series

mojoryan
Little People

Re: Sun Records Reissue Series

Post by mojoryan »

hellosmith wrote:
Abraham Lincoln wrote:
Jettkoral wrote:
Grimtale wrote:So underwhelmed by TMR doing these. Most of the blues & these sun reissues aren't that hard to obtain either in original format or previous reissues.
I want new talent & more Jack. Im afraid they are turning into a national archive company. While a little of this blended in would be cool, not crazy about that being their primary focus. Sorry, just how I'm feeling... I miss the old TMR...
Grim
Not to agree with everything you say (seems like I do), but I 100% agree. Paramount box, Blues reissues, Sun records, etc..The stuff is SPECTACULAR, but I wish there was more TMR stuff on TMR.
I'll third that sentiment with a caveat: before this, people complained about them being too gimmicky, and putting out too much stuff at once. In fairness, "you can make some of the people happy all of the time, and all of the people happy some of the time, but you'll never make all of the people happy all of the time."
I think Abraham Lincoln said that.
Of course he did; just look above ^^.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
chanticleer
Little Cream Soda

Post by chanticleer »

I respectfully disagree.

TMR isn't a label looking for platinum-selling artists, it just wants to bring and keep beautiful music in the world. That might mean producing singles by artists that would otherwise lack exposure or it might mean ensuring that older music stays in print. The Sun singles might be easy to obtain for the American folks digging through thrift stores, but for those of us overseas they're practically unheard of. Sure, I could buy a cheap CD compilation, but where's the joy in that?

I'm quite happy to let Jack and the Bens bumble along with whatever it is they're interested in at any given point. It's not always to my liking, but I like their passion for what they do.
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

chanticleer wrote:I respectfully disagree.
That's the beauty of this forum. We can all agree to disagree :-)
There is no right or wrong, just each person's personal perspective on the situation.
Again, I'll say... I miss the old TMR... Others may love the new TMR...
Grim
I am everything you hate...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

chanticleer wrote:It's not always to my liking, but I like their passion for what they do.
+ a whole bunch.

I've spent the majority of my life only peripherally aware of older music. My parents listened to a huge variety of music when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, but I went in a very different direction once I hit my teens and never looked back at anything prior. Sure, I could go out and find old Sun and Document records on my own, but I don't have the musical education to know what to look for. That's one of the things I'm getting from Third Man with all of these reissues-- an education. Their passion has caused me to dive headlong into learning about and exploring earlier American music and I've discovered some great stuff on my own. But I still count on and am grateful to them for giving me a direction to follow and exposing me to so much that I wouldn't be aware of otherwise. Would I like for them to maybe ease back on the reissues and release some more new contemporary stuff? Sure, because I also count on them for introducing me to new musicians, as well. Ideally, over time they'll work out some sort of balance between the old and the new stuff. In the meantime, I may express wishes for this or for that every now and then, but so far I have no actual complaints about what they're doing. Even as I'm asking for this, I'm still excited about that. Y'know?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

Post by Getbacktogether »

As i do love all the reissues they have been releasing i feel like they do them to consecutively. They need to be more balanced with there releases. It would make me way more excited for the reissues if they had more blue series, ext in between. But its not my company. I would do whatever i liked or wanted to if i had my own company.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

An unanswered question . . . are these 45s remastered from the original tapes? Digital files? I'd love to know what the source material is for these 45s . . .
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

I received my bundle today. All black vinyl, and I will be spinning them later this evening.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

dunedin wrote:I received my bundle today. All black vinyl, and I will be spinning them later this evening.
I think they've mentioned the sun rays will be released at a later date, not through random mail orders.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

woodisgood wrote:An unanswered question . . . are these 45s remastered from the original tapes? Digital files? I'd love to know what the source material is for these 45s . . .
Someone on the Steve Hoffman forum asked via Twitter. Hope the link works

https://twitter.com/sunrecords/status/3 ... 2602146818
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

chaptertwentyone wrote:
dunedin wrote:I received my bundle today. All black vinyl, and I will be spinning them later this evening.
I think they've mentioned the sun rays will be released at a later date, not through random mail orders.
Ah, well, hope sprang eternal :D
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I'm just now getting around to ripping the most recent trio and, damn, these D.A. Hunt tunes are giving me the shivers. Wish he had recorded more.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mordecaibrown
Little Cream Soda

Post by mordecaibrown »

Kali Durga wrote:I'm just now getting around to ripping the most recent trio and, damn, these D.A. Hunt tunes are giving me the shivers. Wish he had recorded more.
That Hunt track is great.
The cool thing about the Sun label is that if you get away from the rockabilly music and the big 3 (Elvis, Cash, Perkins) those early blues cuts were awesome.

Weird out of all the great acts that came through Sun that TMR would go with Orbison.
He only put out 1 LP with them and was dropped from the label.
His sound IMO was older/mature than the SUN sound.
Not taking anything away from Orbison but you can really see a style difference.
It'd be like TMR signing Alice Coltrane.
Thinking is the best way to travel. - The Moody Blues
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Would be very interesting to get them (Blackwell, whomever) to talk about how they're deciding which tracks to reissue.
subpopfan1
Pinball Wizard

Post by subpopfan1 »

mordecaibrown wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:I'm just now getting around to ripping the most recent trio and, damn, these D.A. Hunt tunes are giving me the shivers. Wish he had recorded more.
That Hunt track is great.
The cool thing about the Sun label is that if you get away from the rockabilly music and the big 3 (Elvis, Cash, Perkins) those early blues cuts were awesome.

Weird out of all the great acts that came through Sun that TMR would go with Orbison.
He only put out 1 LP with them and was dropped from the label.
His sound IMO was older/mature than the SUN sound.
Not taking anything away from Orbison but you can really see a style difference.
It'd be like TMR signing Alice Coltrane.
i'd sign alice coltrane in a second.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

How 'bout some Doctor Ross, Ben?