Leaking Liquid Filled Records

rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Leaking Liquid Filled Records

Post by rsimms3 »

Just got back to my hotel a little while ago. I noticed this with mine and a couple of my friend's LFRs, they were leaking. At first I thought it was around the cork center, but come to find out the hole that was drilled to inject the liquid was not properly glued/sealed. I would suggest everyone with a LFR turn your recordd so the little hole is on top and is stored upright until you can get some superglue to plug the hole. The hole for injecting the liquied is the dead wax, mine was on the A-side. Looks like they pressed the two parts, cut the hole for injecting the liquid, glued the two parts together with a black ring, injected the liquid, and then glued the hole closed to keep the liquid inside.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Pakedge
Little Acorn

Re: Leaking Liquid Filled Records

Post by Pakedge »

Someone returned theirs while I was in line. It was already leaking bad. I feel like I'm waiting on mine to leak. But, I'm extremely happy with the loot.
"Knock on the door and the door knocks back..."
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

The dead wax at the beginning or the end of the song?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

TheHen0 wrote:The dead wax at the beginning or the end of the song?
In the center near the label.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

found the hole you're talking about, but mine seems sealed. mine is warped though. we'll see how long these things hold up
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

2 of the first 4 people in the RRS line returned theirs...great start in front of me
alteridiom
Little Acorn

Post by alteridiom »

Sticker on the liquid record is pretty funny. No guarantees.
Looking for White Denim Black and Blue
SCvonB
Little Bird

Post by SCvonB »

found that mine was leaking as well, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the hole. I think it's coming from the edges.
Last edited by SCvonB on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

These records will require some TLC in addition to some maintenance. I wouldn't worry about leaking. It is easily fixed. I suspect that vast majority will leak at some point so it's a good idea to anticipate some maintenance.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

anonymousbrunette wrote:These records will require some TLC in addition to some maintenance. I wouldn't worry about leaking. It is easily fixed. I suspect that vast majority will leak at some point so it's a good idea to anticipate some maintenance.
describe what you think is included in maintenance? thanks
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

hsp88 wrote:
anonymousbrunette wrote:These records will require some TLC in addition to some maintenance. I wouldn't worry about leaking. It is easily fixed. I suspect that vast majority will leak at some point so it's a good idea to anticipate some maintenance.
describe what you think is included in maintenance? thanks
plugging that hole, baby
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ "That's what she said" is just way too obvious a response sometimes.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

I really do try not to be a jerkwad, but . . . I said this was gonna happen. I feel for y'all, I do. If they were $30, it woulda been like, oh well. But $100? Ooof. And the suckers paying through the nose on eBay? I'd love to see how these look five years from now . . .
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

woodisgood wrote:I really do try not to be a jerkwad, but . . . I said this was gonna happen. I feel for y'all, I do. If they were $30, it woulda been like, oh well. But $100? Ooof. And the suckers paying through the nose on eBay? I'd love to see how these look five years from now . . .
Agreed. These won't withstand the test of time...without some serious super glue. Mine looks pretty good, but I'm putting a bead around the outside for safekeeping and an extra fill on that liquid injection site.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

dylnfan wrote:
woodisgood wrote:I really do try not to be a jerkwad, but . . . I said this was gonna happen. I feel for y'all, I do. If they were $30, it woulda been like, oh well. But $100? Ooof. And the suckers paying through the nose on eBay? I'd love to see how these look five years from now . . .
Agreed. These won't withstand the test of time...without some serious super glue. Mine looks pretty good, but I'm putting a bead around the outside for safekeeping and an extra fill on that liquid injection site.
Dude, now THAT is smart. I think everyone who has one should seriously consider doing the same. Liquid is tricky.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."