Lazaretto first pressings???

dying stereo
Little Bird

Lazaretto first pressings???

Post by dying stereo »

Maybe a stupid question, but are there first,second, third etc pressings of Lazaretto ? I got the vault edition but i want to buy the standard one too. So i want to know if they all got the same matrix(aka dead wax) .thanks
There's a million reasons why the hippies failed.(Joe Strummer)
trickster
Greek Mod

Re: Lazaretto first pressings???

Post by trickster »

dying stereo wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but are there first,second, third etc pressings of Lazaretto ? I got the vault edition but i want to buy the standard one too. So i want to know if they all got the same matrix(aka dead wax) .thanks
Exactly the same
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
dying stereo
Little Bird

Post by dying stereo »

Thanks.
There's a million reasons why the hippies failed.(Joe Strummer)
subpopfan1
Pinball Wizard

Post by subpopfan1 »

dying stereo wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but are there first,second, third etc pressings of Lazaretto ? I got the vault edition but i want to buy the standard one too. So i want to know if they all got the same matrix(aka dead wax) .thanks
there are run-out groove differences between early versions of the black vinyl and more recent ones. they are NOT all the same.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Ooops
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
icdvet
Little Ghost

Post by icdvet »

Very interesting...
Dear NSA, I hope that you enjoy this post.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Indeed. New stampers from the mother or new lacquers cut to make new stampers.... I think the last LP I looked at was the Van Lear Rose Vault LP and there were a few different marks that lead me to believe they made a few sets of stampers before they had a set good enough to make quality pressings. My understanding is that when you see records that have fain't scratches and marks, that's done on the stampers after the original lacquers have been plated to create the mother. I've not heard the threshold URP uses for number of records pressed before they start using a new set of stampers.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

rsimms3 wrote:Indeed. New stampers from the mother or new lacquers cut to make new stampers.... I think the last LP I looked at was the Van Lear Rose Vault LP and there were a few different marks that lead me to believe they made a few sets of stampers before they had a set good enough to make quality pressings. My understanding is that when you see records that have fain't scratches and marks, that's done on the stampers after the original lacquers have been plated to create the mother. I've not heard the threshold URP uses for number of records pressed before they start using a new set of stampers.
Would they have cut new lacquer again?
And what kind of scratches and marks? How can we tell?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

So, let's use VLR Vault release as an example since it seems to have been difficult to get down.

Side A etching -
TMR-311-A-RE-2 Set II

My theory (I've never asked George or URP about it so it's my postulation) is this:
TMR-311-A = First lacquer cut, everything went fine through test pressing and okay for production pressing
TMR-311-A-RE = Second lacquer cut because of an issue with the lacquer or original plating that could not be overcome
TMR-311-A-RE-2 = Third lacquer cut because of an issue with the lacquer or original plating that could not be overcome
TMR-311-A-RE-2 Set II = Third lacquer cut because of concerns with the lacquer or original plating, returned to the mother or possibly the original silvered lacquer for new stamper

I don't think I've seen "Set II" on TMR records before, if I have it's only been once. In this case Set II is written faintly in the runout compared to the other etchings meaning it was added after the original plating of the lacquer disc since it was written on the metal works and not the soft lacquer itself at the time of the cut. If you have the TMR reissue of Elephant you can see where they sort of scratched out the V2 information and added the TMR information. Elephant has used the same master and plates since it was first cut for the advanced promo copies.

If you've never watched one of the videos on YouTube on how records are made from lacquer to pressing, I highly recommend it.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Thanks! I'll check the records when I get home. I had only paid attention to the message part of the etchings.

What I had meant was would they really have cut new lacquer again for Lazaretto? Because what Ben said makes it sound like there's a big difference between those pressed earlier and later.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

koala wrote:Thanks! I'll check the records when I get home. I had only paid attention to the message part of the etchings.

What I had meant was would they really have cut new lacquer again for Lazaretto? Because what Ben said makes it sound like there's a big difference between those pressed earlier and later.
It's possible if they used all of the stampers they had and the master and/or mother was not able to create new ones, the only option is to recut the album. I would guess that if anyone would have these new versions in stock, it would be TMR. Anywhere else would be more of a gamble for older stock. It definitely piques my interest. There are only catalog etchings on one side of the record because of the angel hologram and that etching is actually in the paper label area of the record. If I remember correctly, the hologram was etched on the metalwork so possibly new versions don't have the hologram if they've used all the stampers.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Considering that the hologram is such a big selling point of the ultra-lp, do you think they wouldn't have it etched onto any new stampers that were made?

And, just found out they refer to them as a Hologroove hologram: http://www.infinitylightscience.com/wor ... eretto-lp/
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

No clue, just spitballing. Everyone should start buying new copies and let us know. 8-)
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

So has anyone bought this LP recently?

Also, my copy of Vault 24 does not have Set II written on it, neither does the information on the discogs page. So does that mean two different sets of lacquers were used to press them? Or could it just have been added later while making more stampers?
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

When ugwnl came out they went to the trouble of crossing out the run outs and adding xl ones for Europe
They don't do that anymore.
I have noticed some sleeve differences on the blunderbuss releases
Different shades of blue - not sure if that is different pressings or variants such as bolts
Perhaps the same thing happens with Laz