The 16 Saltines Liquid Filled (LFR) Record - RSD 2012

love_islander
Little People

Re: The 16 Saltines Liquid-Filled RSD Record

Post by love_islander »

Grandpadan wrote:Hey has anyone tried to take this record on a plane? Will security let you on the plane with this? Im flying home in a few days. Thanks!
Achouza said he got on with 2
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

love_islander wrote:
Grandpadan wrote:Hey has anyone tried to take this record on a plane? Will security let you on the plane with this? Im flying home in a few days. Thanks!
Achouza said he got on with 2
yeah, I was able to get past the TSA security check,, we just put them in between my other 12 records and slid them through the machine,,no problems whatsoever,, we didnt even get asked any questions,, we had a fedex box and packing supplies ready in case we got rejected and had to check them in as luggage,,
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Woo hoo! Hit up Home Goods and Home Depot today and voila!
DSCN1216.JPG
DSCN1218.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

Wow! The above pictures are awesome! Mind to give some product/supplies details? That is most impressive.
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

anonymousbrunette wrote:Woo hoo! Hit up Home Goods and Home Depot today and voila!
DSCN1216.JPG
DSCN1216.JPG
Holy crap! Applause to you! Those look excellent in their displays. Even if you could change up the background matting color or even collage it.

Were these custom made of materials from both stores? Very nice. Very nice.
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Next up: A triple-decker record where the 45 is floating inside a clear, liquid-filled LP; which in turn is floating inside a large, floor-mounted lava lamp, where the base is the bottom half of a zebra and it's topped with a giraffe head, and the giraffe horns are implanted with metal rods so it can double as a theremin, and if you run a phonograph needle with a pickup by hand over the zebra stripes at precisely 3.33 stripes per second, it will play back a secret audio track that gives directions to the hidden location of all those lost Upholsterors' records that were stuffed into sofas so long ago. Of course, the directions would need to be deciphered because on listening it would sound like Javanese gamelan music as interpreted by Claude Debussy, where the pitch on the chromatic scale would refer to the number of phonemes in the lyrics of unreleased tracks by Captain Beefheart from the early 70's, and by finding his corresponding paintings and stripping off the top layers of paint, one would find images of star constellations on the canvas that, on the anniversary of Bastille Day, just happen to line up precisely with the stone heads on Easter Island to reveal the longitude and latitude of the hidden sofas. :D

Or maybe not. Who knows, maybe Jack White will be kept busy with something else for a while. Such as, oh, I dunno...maybe making some more great rock music? *fingers crossed* 8-)
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

Those looking crazy awesome, makes me wish i still had a TD :roll:
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

DeeBee wrote:Next up: A triple-decker record where the 45 is floating inside a clear, liquid-filled LP; which in turn is floating inside a large, floor-mounted lava lamp, where the base is the bottom half of a zebra and it's topped with a giraffe head, and the giraffe horns are implanted with metal rods so it can double as a theremin, and if you run a phonograph needle with a pickup by hand over the zebra stripes at precisely 3.33 stripes per second, it will play back a secret audio track that gives directions to the hidden location of all those lost Upholsterors' records that were stuffed into sofas so long ago. Of course, the directions would need to be deciphered because on listening it would sound like Javanese gamelan music as interpreted by Claude Debussy, where the pitch on the chromatic scale would refer to the number of phonemes in the lyrics of unreleased tracks by Captain Beefheart from the early 70's, and by finding his corresponding paintings and stripping off the top layers of paint, one would find images of star constellations on the canvas that, on the anniversary of Bastille Day, just happen to line up precisely with the stone heads on Easter Island to reveal the longitude and latitude of the hidden sofas. :D

Or maybe not. Who knows, maybe Jack White will be kept busy with something else for a while. Such as, oh, I dunno...maybe making some more great rock music? *fingers crossed* 8-)
There's one flaw in your story - the Easter island "heads" have been excavated and found to be whole bodies and they are being restored and moved

(check google images)
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

greginchains wrote:Wow! The above pictures are awesome! Mind to give some product/supplies details? That is most impressive.
+ 1

Those look awesome - wouldn't mind seein those on my wall in a similar fashion!
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

love_islander wrote: There's one flaw in your story - the Easter island "heads" have been excavated and found to be whole bodies and they are being restored and moved
Aha! Do you really imagine that the nefarious hand of Jack White isn't behind that, too??
Just wait until he's done upholstering those things with the hides of extinct thylacines,
and installing the internal mechanisms to turn them into an animatronics rhythm section.
I'm telling you, his evil genius knows no limits. :shock:

Add: Ara, that really is a nice job mounting those records. Simple and classic look there.
Last edited by DeeBee on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

greginchains wrote:Wow! The above pictures are awesome! Mind to give some product/supplies details? That is most impressive.
Thanks all! The 3" deep wood boxes have a weathered finished and metal trim. They've got a good weight to them and look fantastic. Best part is the job cost me under $35 each! And yes Makers, the possibilities on that backing board are endless. I'd considered stenciling the TMR logo on them but impatience got the best of me.

Before I realized how fragile this thing was I'd been looking at globe stands and armillary frames so that I could rig something that would permit movement. Once we realized these things had a hidden self-destruct button Larry suggested making a wall clock out of it. (As if, right?) But a clock is the same shape as a record. Hmmm.

Materials: One clock, black and white lacquer spray paint, one zinc coated 1/4 inch hex bolt, four hex nuts, two 1" cut washers, two 2" cut washers, hanging hardware, small strip of electrical tape.

Notes: I picked up several clocks from Home Goods (a home overstock outlet like the goods sections of Marshalls or TJ Maxx) and from Target before deciding on dismantling this one. *All of the nuts were hand tightened and the washer's cut edges were faced away from the records. *The painted parts of the hardware never touch the record. *The 1" washers sandwich the record while the 2" washers sandwich the backing board. * The electrical tape was used for wrapping around the bolt to protect the spindle hole from the threads.
IMG_1785.jpg
IMG_1787.jpg
IMG_1788.jpg
IMG_1789.jpg
IMG_1790.jpg
IMG_1791.jpg
IMG_1792.jpg
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1799.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

would be even better if you put the clock hands back... TD and LFR clocks... nice.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

hawke000 wrote:would be even better if you put the clock hands back... TD and LFR clocks... nice.
stop stealing my jokes.
he is everything i hate...
greginchains
Little Ghost

Post by greginchains »

Anyone find it humorous and ironic that the liquid filled record was for the song "sixteen salteens" as it is spelled on the label. Picture the dryness of 16 saltine crackers and that you need liquid to drink afterwards. Pretty clever there!
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

anonymousbrunette wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:The liquid doesn't swirl around as much on the turntable as I would have expected it to. If I had one, I think I'd be too busy playing with like Ben did in the TMR video it to actually play it. Thanks for showing us, Ara, and congratulations!
Thanks! Centrifugal force. In retrospect I should have used the flip side of that mat, a black and white ampersand design - a gift from our very own ColdSoup. That would have looked pretty groovy.

BTW, if you own one of these I put some recommendations on that YouTube video. I doctored the record a bit which seems necessary to preserve it. I wouldn't have spun it without that prep-work.
Thanks for the tips on care you posted on YouTube. Found them very helpful. The display looks great as well. Kali, I did find that if you disperse the liquid with a good shaking prior to play you get a little more movement from the liquid.