Leaking Liquid Filled Records

hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Re: Leaking Liquid Filled Records

Post by hxcoliver »

dylnfan wrote:
woodisgood wrote:I really do try not to be a jerkwad, but . . . I said this was gonna happen. I feel for y'all, I do. If they were $30, it woulda been like, oh well. But $100? Ooof. And the suckers paying through the nose on eBay? I'd love to see how these look five years from now . . .
Agreed. These won't withstand the test of time...without some serious super glue. Mine looks pretty good, but I'm putting a bead around the outside for safekeeping and an extra fill on that liquid injection site.
I would really like to know how that works out. I want mine to last a while. What kind of glue do you plan on using?
candycaneboy03
Little Ghost

Post by candycaneboy03 »

Albeit that i may not have one, i still think it kinda blows that this $100 record isn't really expected to last or at least it's longevity is immediately threatened by so many more factors since it's a record AND liquid filled item. Especially with all the people that made knarly trips for this. I understand that it wasn't easy to produce, but if i'm paying $100 for any record (non aftermarket price at that; that is, face cost) i'd def expect it to cause less worry about it's fragile state than it has. I'd be too paranoid to even handle it or even play it for that matter. But as long as ya fellas and gals are happy....i'm just a poor boy and envious really...

That being said, i can't imagine how cool it must be to own one of these AND a triple decker....Two of the best/genius things to come out of TMR imo...
Last edited by candycaneboy03 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Love, Peace And Hair Grease"
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Once someone tries the super glue thing. I may do the same. Sounds like a good idea.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Minor leak on mine. Just putting the leaky side up for now until I get some sleep. I'll work on a fix when I have a clear head tomorrow.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

well with a label like this i guess folks have to make a plan that works for them... i thought it would be cool just to see it spin around with centripetal force really

that may be out of the question as things currrently stand ... details details details... Barnum & Bailey might have nothin on Jack and the Bens at this rate of humorist value
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

anonymousbrunette wrote:These records will require some TLC in addition to some maintenance. I wouldn't worry about leaking. It is easily fixed. I suspect that vast majority will leak at some point so it's a good idea to anticipate some maintenance.
are you still gonna turn yours into a wall clock? that's gonna look badass.
he is everything i hate...
dbottic
Little Bird

Post by dbottic »

dylnfan wrote:
woodisgood wrote:I really do try not to be a jerkwad, but . . . I said this was gonna happen. I feel for y'all, I do. If they were $30, it woulda been like, oh well. But $100? Ooof. And the suckers paying through the nose on eBay? I'd love to see how these look five years from now . . .
Agreed. These won't withstand the test of time...without some serious super glue. Mine looks pretty good, but I'm putting a bead around the outside for safekeeping and an extra fill on that liquid injection site.
Mind if I asked how the glue process worked out for you? Any brand you recommend?

I'm the girl that caused the cliche theory that girls can't fix things. Meaning, I'm really bad at fixing things but I really wanna take care of my record.

Any information or advice (or a flat out tutorial that would work for a five year old, because that's about the level my fix-it skills are at) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

Happy Fun Ball
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

dbottic wrote:
dylnfan wrote:
Mind if I asked how the glue process worked out for you? Any brand you recommend?

I'm the girl that caused the cliche theory that girls can't fix things. Meaning, I'm really bad at fixing things but I really wanna take care of my record.

Any information or advice (or a flat out tutorial that would work for a five year old, because that's about the level my fix-it skills are at) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
That this was going to be a precarious piece of vinyl is no surprise. Remember the TD's splitting? We're talking LIQUID here.

I don't know who here has tried it yet so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I used Super Glue (the brand name.) Says it works on vinyl. If you've worked with Super Glue before then you know how careful you have to be as it is runny and bonds quickly (as everyone who has glued their fingers together knows.) Mine was applied by a person with a VERY steady hand (to whom I am very grateful.) Practice on something and keep a blotting mat nearby. Hold the record vertically as you apply it and only use it sparingly to avoid drips, dragging excess along with the tip. Let dry. Repeat. Be aware of hazing in highly visible areas.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
dbottic
Little Bird

Post by dbottic »

stoutr wrote:Happy Fun Ball
I'd probably buy one of those, too! That fauxmmercial was the best!!!
anonymousbrunette
Little People

stoutr wrote:Happy Fun Ball
That's hilarious.

"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
dbottic
Little Bird

Post by dbottic »

thanks for the tips and the commercial!!!
anonymousbrunette
Little People

theeradicaleclectic wrote:Image

well with a label like this i guess folks have to make a plan that works for them... i thought it would be cool just to see it spin around with centripetal force really

that may be out of the question as things currrently stand ... details details details... Barnum & Bailey might have nothin on Jack and the Bens at this rate of humorist value
I think you mean centrifugal. An example of centripetal force would be jumping rope or the moon caught in orbit around the earth.

My ISO/FS/FT List
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I think I'm about to try this on mine. I bought two types of glue, Elmer's Super Glue and Instant Krazy Glue.
I'm thinking I might try the Krazy Glue first because its a "No-Run Gel Forumla", so I shouldn't have to worry about it dripping onto parts of the record I don't want it on, and it also says that it dries clear, so hopefully I won't have to deal with any haziness that might show up.
Pretty nervous about this. One looks perfectly fine with no drips, but I'll still glue it anyway, just in case. And the other looks like the label has been saturated in the blue liquid. No actual puddles of liquid yet, but being cautious with it until I glue it.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

elduderino wrote:
anonymousbrunette wrote:These records will require some TLC in addition to some maintenance. I wouldn't worry about leaking. It is easily fixed. I suspect that vast majority will leak at some point so it's a good idea to anticipate some maintenance.
are you still gonna turn yours into a wall clock? that's gonna look badass.
That's a brilliant idea. :)