Jack White Q&A - Answers

BigRed
Little Bird

Re: Jack White Q&A - Answers

Post by BigRed »

It would be possible for him to marry her now, but it would be impossible for him to marry her back in her heyday. So he probably means her 50's era self. She has massive boobs. Wikipedia says 44DD. Jack doesn't seem like a breast man based on his ladies, but she does have red hair.
Mandy May
Little Bird

Post by Mandy May »

How nice! I love his answers for his favorite place to play and the perfect day. They go hand in hand, I think. Great interview!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

rsimms3 wrote:
shteev wrote: Q: What is one thing you wish you could do that is just impossibly impossible?

A: Look at other humans that aren’t staring at a gadget in their hand, Produce a captain beefheart and the magic band album, marry tempest storm, trade identities with a sherpa and never be recognized, be roommates with orson welles in his radio days, make friends with myself.
It's funny to me that the thing about marrying Tempest Storm has gotten attention, when it's the "make friends with myself" part that made me go "awwwww".

The other bit that struck me was this:
Q: Do you find it harder to relate to fans in this day and age of the internet than it was earlier in your career?

A: It’s easier now, but I don’t like most of the internet styles of communication because I think they are in place of real face to face contact and emotion. I understand it, and I’m doing it right now, but it pales in comparison to the real thing. I’m also confused by the way people always think I’m “angry” when I have an opinion or dialogue. It shows that a lot of “famous” people put on a happy face 100% of the time, so that when anyone has an opinion that isn’t fake and plastic it’s labeled ‘freaking out’ or ‘lashing out’, seems to be pretty off base. When you have someone who is passionate and involved, you can’t possibly be dandelions and rainbows everytime you engage in debate, if you love what you’re involved in that is.
It's interesting that from Jack's perspective this seems to be an issue of celebrity when, really, he's fallen prey to the same situation that affects anyone who communicates via the written word-- The difficulty of conveying tone and the ease with which that tone can be misinterpreted. Who here hasn't had someone think that they were angry when they were really just being passionate? Or obnoxious when they were joking? That's exactly why those goofy emoticon things were invented (and I have to say, y'all have the goofiest ones I've seen yet ;) ) Which, of course, reinforces his point that this form of communication "pales in comparison to the real thing". It's like he gets it, but he doesn't get it because he sees it through the prism of fame.

Thanks again for setting this up, folks. This was a great set of questions.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

BigRed wrote:It would be possible for him to marry her now, but it would be impossible for him to marry her back in her heyday. So he probably means her 50's era self. She has massive boobs. Wikipedia says 44DD. Jack doesn't seem like a breast man based on his ladies, but she does have red hair.
umm....have you SEEN MEG?!?! :shock: Image
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

I was away over the holidays and just read the interview--great job with the questions, and an interesting bunch of answers. Thanks for doing this. :)

If I'd been on the ball, I'd have asked a drums vs. guitar question--though maybe someone did and it didn't get picked.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I realized afterward that I forgot to ask what he was holding in GBMS. Maybe someone did and he chose to leave that a mystery..
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

Catching up on this Q&A now, really brilliant work. Got 2 of my questions answered too :) Thanks Jack.
I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
ymagirl
Little Cream Soda

Post by ymagirl »

This was a really great read, thanks to everyone who made it happen, especially Mr. White for taking the time to do it. I think what I was most struck by (other than the making friends with himself/ fucking meaning it/ etc) was him wondering why people always think he's angry in on-line settings. I've also found that to be true- I have noticed there is a certain segment of his fan base that are always quick to judge/ crucify him for certain actions/ responses, when to me it has appeared he's making a valid point and/or the "anger" is an appropriate response to the situation.