Rob's Favorite Dead Weather Poster

Our Second Interview with Rob Jones
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Rob's Favorite Dead Weather Poster

Post by kevron6 »

What is your favorite Dead Weather poster you designed? Why? What was your inspiration?

What: The gun face ones.

Why: Because they are awesome.

Inspiration: Horehound’s lyrics naturally provided the panther’s share of direction as several songs possess a cold growl of a soul damaged. Another influence came from the scenario behind Tubeway Army’s “Replicas” album (which of course the Dead Weather visited with their cover of “Are ‘Friends’ Electric?”). Also, Todd Slater’s mosaic-work shaped my approach to the construction of these particular posters. However, I originally submitted the gun face concept as alternative pages for the Horehound booklet interior.

There were lots of different artists that did posters for the Dead Weather. Why did you not do as many designs for the band as you have done in the past? Part two of the question involving all of the different artists. All of the designs seemed to be pretty dark. Why did the aesthetic for the band seem to be so dark in comparison to Jack White’s other bands?

I failed to make posters for a spell on the Dead Weather tours because the Everest of work associated with “Under Great White Northern Lights” swallowed my schedule.

To answer part two, again, designs for Dead Weather reflect their sound, which I’d imagine sounds a lot darker overall (at least a different kind of darkness) than the music from other bands that involve Jack White. I don’t think a polar bear meeting a penguin would prove terribly appropriate for a band like The Dead Weather (unless perhaps it showed a polar bear eating a penguin or a family of penguins living inside its ribcage).
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.