Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
nrssab
Little Acorn

Re: Eagles of Death Metal

Post by nrssab »

Holy crap this is surreal. Wow! I'm really glad you went to this show and shared with us. Too bad I couldn't be there.
"If you can hear a piano fall, you can hear me coming down the hall".
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

nrssab wrote:Holy crap this is surreal. Wow! I'm really glad you went to this show and shared with us. Too bad I couldn't be there.
In the top 3 shows I have ever seen..
nrssab
Little Acorn

Post by nrssab »

arewhyehen wrote:
nrssab wrote:Holy crap this is surreal. Wow! I'm really glad you went to this show and shared with us. Too bad I couldn't be there.
In the top 3 shows I have ever seen..
Can't wait until you tell us more. The concert has been in the news via all medias. Even in the tramway here in Dresden they had a news display informing about it.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I got to the venue around 11am the morning of the show and there were only 2 other people in line. Both of them were from the original Bataclan show. They were both on the rail in the front row of the pit at Bataclan. Apparently there is a group of them that travel to QOTSA and EODM shows in Europe and see each other a lot at shows, but didn't know each other. After the show at Bataclan, they made an effort to meet up and get to know each other and all have become quite good friends. A group of about 20 of them who escaped out the stage left side door all organized to be on the front row for this show again. It was very cool to see them all get together and support each other at this show. There were a few really big Jack White fans there as well, so we started talking about how we all get together at shows and its the same small group of people at all the shows in the front.

As the show got closer, there were at least 30 tv cameras set up all over and reporters everywhere. There was also a heavy police presence of at least 40-50 in uniform. I am sure there were more under cover...A lot of them had some pretty big guns they were carrying around. A lot of the reporters were approaching the line to interview and try and get the survivors to talk, but none of them wanted to. I respected that decision and never asked much about the Bataclan show. I am sure it was hard enough to be at the show. I know some people have not listened to EODM or any rock music since the Bataclan. A lot are very paranoid in dark places or public buildings and are always looking for the nearest exit. A lot of people were wearing the same clothes at that night and stood in the same spot. There were therapists there for anyone to talk to if they needed it during the show. They handed out flyers before the show to let people know and the location of them.

We found out later in the day that the line would be split into 2 groups: Bataclan attendees and all others. I obviously had to join the other line, but because I had been there all day with them and traveled so far, they wanted me up there with them for support. Because of this, I was able to get in early with all of them. about 20 minutes before the doors opened, Josh, Jesse and Dave all came out to the line of the Bataclan survivors and shook everyones hand and hugged them and took photos and talked with them. I thought this was very cool of them to do. They stayed for maybe 10-15 minutes and then went back inside. After that the doors opened and I was one of the first people in, with all of the survivors I had been with all day. We were let in an hour before all the people not at the Bataclan show. We fixed it so that all the original people on the rail were back where they were. I was able to fit in with them. When we got onto the floor, Julian and Matt were there waiting for us to hang out and hug everyone. It was very cool to just hang out and have a conversation with them before the show.

When the show finally started, the band came out and played I Only Want You. Half way through the song, they asked for 89 seconds of silence for those who died. Sadly it lasted for about 10 seconds because people could not shut up long enough. The crowd was very lively. A lot of people jumping around and having a good time it seemed. It started out with just Josh on drums, but Julian came out after a few songs. Before they played Oh Girl, Jesse said to the crowd "You know how hard this song is for me to play right now, so don't get mad if I fuck it up." He repeated it a few times and made us all promise. He told the crowd over and over how much he needed us and how much he loved us. He was pretty emotional for the majority of the night. He was pretty intoxicated. I think most of the band was. Josh definitely was. Josh lit up a smoke a few times while playing drums. He also pretended to read a magazine while just Julian played drums, but for the most part, they played at the same time.

About half way through the show, Jesse smashed his white guitar (the one I am holding in the photo above) because he had broken a string on it almost every song he played with it. He was beating the shit out of it all night. The pick he gave me is more worn than the Jack White ones I have.....crazy. He ended up smashing it and threw it in the crowd. My (new) friend caught it. I got hit with a few pieces and was able to keep some of it, including the volume knob. He said that it was fucking up his intimate time with all of us. The whole show was pretty emotional. Someone threw a shirt on the stage that said "I really wannabe in Paris" with the Bataclan date. Jesse picked it up and showed the band and he got choked up and then hung it on his amp. Someone also made a homemade scarf the same colours at the Paris flag and Jesse wore it around most of the night. Between songs he spoke to the crowd and that all of us were now his best friends and he felt like a Parisian. I had made a sign that said "Canada loves EODM" because I know there were a bunch of fans that all made a video to tell the band they love them after the Bataclan show. Jesse came over to me and told me he loved me after one of the songs and gave me his guitar pick. Dave, who normally plays a Flying V had custom pics made to make the Flying V guitar look like the Eiffel Tower. He threw out a bunch to the crowd. I thought that was really cool.

Mid show, Jesse climbed up into the balcony and played a song up there and took photos with some of the people. When the encore started, it was only Jesse. He was wearing a black shirt with wings on the front in the colours of the Paris flag. He played Brown Sugar. You could hear how drunk he was when it was just him singing and playing guitar. When the band joined him, everyone except Josh was wearing the black shirt with wings. They fucked around for a bit and Jesse and Dave played some guitar solos. Dave blind folded himself and played a pretty crazy one. Josh and Jesse sat there in awe, while Josh lit up another smoke.

After the show was over, the Bataclan survivors were all invited back stage to meet the band and tell them their stories. There was a bunch of people still on crutches and one girl who had been shot in the leg and had to get surgery. She was in a wheel chair and had pines holding he bones in place. She was interviewed by the band. The entire show was recorded and will be released as a documentary in March. I guess this girl told the band her story of the night and they gave her a bunch of things. I believe some of the survivors even had some of the band members cell numbers. One girl who was locked in the room with Matt was texting him and my friend Emile who caught Jesse's guitar met the band after and got their numbers when they signed the guitar.

Overall, just the atmosphere of the show and meeting so many incredible and brave people from the Bataclan show made this one of the best shows I have ever been to. Even as someone who was not at the Bataclan, I know there were some nerves while at the show and "what ifs", so I can't even imagine how hard it was for people who were there. Thankfully everything went well and it was amazing and I know a lot of people got closure and were able to relax again. For them it was a big step to listen to eagles of death metal or attend a concert, let alone go see EODM in Paris again. Sorry this isn't much of a review or anything...I am not very good with them and I don't like them because everyone's experience is different....but this is just a bit of my experiences from the night and meeting some amazing people..
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

that is just insane...
he is everything i hate...
nrssab
Little Acorn

Post by nrssab »

Arewhyehen thank you so much for sharing!
That is really an amazing experience you went threw, it has so much more than just going to a concert. I'm very glad you shared this with us. Thank you!
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Pretty jealous of your whole trip over there. Whenever you are back in North America we need to grab pizza or something again.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote:Pretty jealous of your whole trip over there. Whenever you are back in North America we need to grab pizza or something again.
Yeah man..I would be down for that. I am upset that I won't be able to make it to RSD this year but maybe we can hit up a show together.
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

arewhyehen wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:Pretty jealous of your whole trip over there. Whenever you are back in North America we need to grab pizza or something again.
Yeah man..I would be down for that. I am upset that I won't be able to make it to RSD this year but maybe we can hit up a show together.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

nrssab wrote:Arewhyehen thank you so much for sharing!
That is really an amazing experience you went threw, it has so much more than just going to a concert. I'm very glad you shared this with us. Thank you!
elduderino wrote:that is just insane...

No problem! I know there is a bunch that I am missing because so much happened in the few hours of the show, and after the show, but I will try and post some photos and give a bit more story behind each if I forgot anything. I am still just in awe of everything though..
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

That was a pretty breathtaking account of the night. Even I'm at a loss for words for once . . . Thanks so much for sharing that.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

This link here has a video of the first 5 minutes of the show...as I said, the full show will be released in March..

Click the link and watch the video. You can just see the incredible atmosphere the place had..

http://www.lemonde.fr/attaques-a-paris/ ... 09495.html
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »