Little Bird Flipper

Re: Neil Young

Post by arewhyehen »

Freter wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
gdm wrote:
TheHen0 wrote:Cool print with all four nights on it and saw some shirts too
Nice. Thanks Henry.
Ya, thanks man!!! Glad to hear he wasn't too angry. From what I read the guy made it seem like he was really mad. Massey Hall where I will be seeing him is also a beautiful hall where you can hear everything so I hope people are respectful.

Anyone have photos of the merch?? Was there a lot? I want to buy some sweet shit. Also, you say all 4 nights which is NY but I wonder what they will have in Toronto. There is a link online where you can donate $35 and be entered into a draw for tickets to a show and a bunch of things, and you get a free poster. I am thinking of doing that to get a poster but want to maybe wait until the show but not sure if the posters will be there as well..I dont see why they wouldnt be

Here is a link to donate

http://www.honourtheacfn.ca/

Here is what I think the posters look like
BbGJKQeCYAAHdEF.jpg large.jpg
Is that Shepard Fairy?
No idea. Not sure if it is even the actual posters, just have seen it posted in a few places.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I'm going in Calgary next week, should be pretty good! Surprised that he isn't playing within 400Km of his cause though. I live in Edmonton and have to travel further from Athabasca to see the show. Edmonton would have sold out just as quickly as anywhere else too.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

higherlimits wrote:I'm going in Calgary next week, should be pretty good! Surprised that he isn't playing within 400Km of his cause though. I live in Edmonton and have to travel further from Athabasca to see the show. Edmonton would have sold out just as quickly as anywhere else too.
I am sure he probably has nothing to do with where he plays. Probably a lot of politics. Maybe places closer by didn't support his protest and wouldn't let him play. Who knows......
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

the Massey Hall show last night was probably the best show I have ever been to in my entire life. Never felt so much emotion from a live performance. A few songs almost brought me to tears because I could feel so much passion from Neil.

Here is a video I took of him playing "Old Man" Remember this is on a cell phone and does absolutely no justice for the show, but it turned out pretty well since the acoustics in this place are amazing.

Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Ya'll are killing me. So jealous. Love Neil Young. Getting to see him in these historic settings must be unreal !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:Ya'll are killing me. So jealous. Love Neil Young. Getting to see him in these historic settings must be unreal !
Haha, sorry dude. Any Neil show is amazing, no matter where the place. The fact that it was such a small iconic venue for him, it made it so intimate and it was for such a great cause so you could just feel how passionate he was. Best show I have ever seen him put on and probably the best live show I have ever seen. I can't wait for him to come back. I won't be expecting anything like last night, but I am just craving more live neil..haha
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I bet next sunday is even better, being even closer to his cause :D :D
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

higherlimits wrote:I bet next sunday is even better, being even closer to his cause :D :D
Possibly. I think that Massey Hall is a pretty iconic venue for Neil though and the fact that he was born in Toronto and really broke out from the Yorkville area makes things special every time he plays in Toronto.

The fact that all of these shows are in small venues makes them all really intimate. You can`t really go wrong when it comes to Neil..
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I saw him solo years ago. I think it was at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center. Just him the guitars, harmonicas and the old tall organ. It was incredible. Sat in front of Lucinda Williams ! Saw him a couple of years ago again just him and a BUNCH of guitars and the Harmonica. The organ was there but not used, it was the LeNoise Tour, again FK'n incredible. Saw him 2 days before Jack White at Red Rocks from the 4th row in Colorado. He was with his old band. It was neat to finally see him with a band but he doesn't need one !!! I would rate his shows and Jack's most recent tour as the best I have seen. I've seen a lot. I know you go to a shit load of concerts to Ryan. The Man is a Legend. I so hope to get to see him again. I should have went to NY.... But that aint cheap ...
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

pj101ca wrote:I still can't believe i skipped Neil Young in Central Park to see a 55 minute JW set at Radio City.

What the hell was I thinking!
I'm right there with you !!! But we did not know Jack was going to puss out on us that night. Should have gone to see Neil anyway and just saw Jack the second night and all would have been perfect. It's a long way from Alabama to NY !!!
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

arewhyehen wrote:the Massey Hall show last night was probably the best show I have ever been to in my entire life. Never felt so much emotion from a live performance. A few songs almost brought me to tears because I could feel so much passion from Neil.

Here is a video I took of him playing "Old Man" Remember this is on a cell phone and does absolutely no justice for the show, but it turned out pretty well since the acoustics in this place are amazing.

I've had tears before at shows. Once was Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits at the Ryman. I was on the front row of the benches. Between his guitar playing and how good the sound was I teared up. Nothing better than tearing up or goose bumps while at a show or listening to a song !!!
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:the Massey Hall show last night was probably the best show I have ever been to in my entire life. Never felt so much emotion from a live performance. A few songs almost brought me to tears because I could feel so much passion from Neil.

I've had tears before at shows. Once was Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits at the Ryman. I was on the front row of the benches. Between his guitar playing and how good the sound was I teared up. Nothing better than tearing up or goose bumps while at a show or listening to a song !!!
Absolutely!! I could just honestly feel him pour his heart out in his songs. He is always very passionate and intense on stage but being that this show was for such an important cause, I think that stepped things up even more. It was an incredible feeling. He will definitely be around again, Scott!! I am going to catch him as much as I can on his next tour.
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Glad to hear that Neil is still blowing people away after all these years, and his somewhat recent sobriety. I have been a been a Jack White fan for lees than 2 years, but a Neil addict for 30+ years. As many others have said elsewhere: the album Harvest changed my life. I have only seen JW once and it was at Neil's Bridge School Benefit concert.

I think a lot of the things that drew me to JW are things that he has in common with Neil: He seems to take pride in challenging/shattering people's expectations; he actively supports the causes he believes in; he honors the muse; and, he can rock the roof off at the drop of the hat!!! Oh, and multi-instrumentalist too.

Moreover, Neil's Bridge School Benefit has allowed me to see bands that I never would have gone/got to see otherwise: David Bowie, REM, Patti Smith, Metallica, Ralph Stanley, Elton John with Leon Russell, Phish (acoustic) are a few off the top of my head. TMR provides the same service in my opinion.

If you are not familiar with the Bridge School, then you should check it out. http://www.bridgeschool.org/ It is a spectacular organization, and their annual benefit concert is worth airfare even if the line-up only has a couple of bands that you know you want to see. I flew out for it the 2 Octobers that I lived in Nashville (98 and 99).

I could gush on and on about Neil.
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Jack records with Neil Young

Post by G-squared »

Apparently Jack and Neil have recorded an album of covers to be released by TMR.

check it!

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/120473/ ... vers-Album
Life is Music
Iggy Pop
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Re: Jack records with Neil Young

Post by G-squared »

In other news, Neil has Europe dates scheduled with Crazy Horse this summer.

2014-07-10, Live At The Marquee, Cork, Ireland
2014-07-12, Hyde Park, London, England
2014-07-17, Yarkon Park, Tel-Aviv, Israel
2014-07-20, Münsterplatz, Ulm, Germany
2014-07-21, Collisioni Festival, Barolo, Italy
2014-07-23, Wiener Stadthalle, Wien, Austria
2014-07-25, Warsteiner Hockeypark, Mönchengladbach, Germany
2014-07-26, Filmnächte am Elbufer, Dresden, Germany
2014-07-28, Zollhafen - Nordmole, Mainz, Germany
2014-08-01, Bergenhus Festning - Koengen, Bergen, Norway
2014-08-05, Lokerse Feesten, Lokeren, Belgium

My head would explode if Jack and Neil did a joint tour. Hopefully there would be a US leg, otherwise I might have to sell an organ to fund a trip overseas.
Life is Music
Iggy Pop