Little Acorn

Re: What has 9 arms and sucks?

Post by lightschuh »

true that
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

C'mon! Ricky Allen rocked the skins! Or rubber slabs, or whatever contraption he used to play :lol:
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I think that post was in the wrong topic...
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

Def Lep and Genesis? Is this one of those guess the connection games?
Grim
I am everything you hate...
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

higherlimits wrote:I think that post was in the wrong topic...
oh, crap in a bucket.
it totally is.
daaaaamn it. sorry boys.
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

it is ok to quote American Psycho anywhere, anytime
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

love_islander wrote:it is ok to quote American Psycho anywhere, anytime
agreed!
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

Slightly off-topic, but not - regarding Huey Lewis and the News, their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
he is everything i hate...
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Try getting a reservation at Dorcia now you fucking asshole!
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Grimtale wrote:Def Lep and Genesis? Is this one of those guess the connection games?
Grim
I think it WAS related...in a pseudo-quasi-esque sort of "guess the connection" way. Dig it:
He was quoting about "Phil Collins"...and Def Leppard's guitarist was "Phil Collen." Well plyed sir, well played. 8-)
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

mojoryan wrote:
Grimtale wrote:Def Lep and Genesis? Is this one of those guess the connection games?
Grim
I think it WAS related...in a pseudo-quasi-esque sort of "guess the connection" way. Dig it:
He was quoting about "Phil Collins"...and Def Leppard's guitarist was "Phil Collen." Well plyed sir, well played. 8-)
oh, that deserves some applause.
nicely done.