The Strokes !!!!

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Re: The Strokes !!!!

Post by Hamptonio »

IamFrank007 wrote:Free Show @ SXSW
Levi’s presents The Strokes at SXSW
The Strokes will return to SXSW on Thursday, March 17th to play the Auditorium Shores Stage (at Lady Bird Lake). The show will be free and open to the public, courtesy of the fine folks at Levi’s, who will also provide footage of the show online one day after their performance. The New York five-piece rock-band return with their highly anticipated fourth album, Angles, to be released March 22nd via RCA in the US, and March 21st via Rough Trade in the UK. Angles is the band’s first new release in 5 years, and their showcase will be their first return to SXSW since their now-legendary 2001 showcase at the Iron Cactus.
i'll be riding my bike down there. woo hoo! ;)
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
DBCooper
Little Acorn

Post by DBCooper »

Julian dropped the F-Bomb on SNL last night. Anyone catch their performances? I though they played great for a band that has played live like 6 times in 5 years.
That can go now.
jastro
Little Bird

Post by jastro »

They played an amazing show last night at The Cosmopolitan.
My first time seeing them, and I hope not my last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBDuZsqGJ2Y
mojaveplastics.com
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

jastro wrote:They played an amazing show last night at The Cosmopolitan.
My first time seeing them, and I hope not my last.
i was at that show too! it was so crazy and wild and fun! i loved it! i got punched in the face by some damn girl.
were you in the middle of it all?
candycaneboy03
Little Ghost

Post by candycaneboy03 »

So i've spent part of the day listening to their new album...from beginning to end...

I read somewhere recently that the strokes were "going back to basics" with this album; as in "is this it" basics.
I'm not sure i agree with this entirely. This album has a LOT more going on than ITI. I mean, not like i really expected them to sound like they did way back when. Esp considering how much they've each grown personally/musically.

It's somewhere between Julians solo+First Impressions/room on fire+some random 80's movie soundtrack.

so far, fairly underwhelmed and only really listening to a couple of the songs. Seems like the hopping around method is working better than listening through the whole album straight.

oh and idk if just the copy i have but Julians vocals sometimes too damn low...this was after listening to the album via headphones. From my pc speaker setup, slightly better but def could be clearer.

onto more listening...
"Love, Peace And Hair Grease"
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

candycaneboy03 wrote:So i've spent part of the day listening to their new album...from beginning to end...

I read somewhere recently that the strokes were "going back to basics" with this album; as in "is this it" basics.
I'm not sure i agree with this entirely. This album has a LOT more going on than ITI. I mean, not like i really expected them to sound like they did way back when. Esp considering how much they've each grown personally/musically.

It's somewhere between Julians solo+First Impressions/room on fire+some random 80's movie soundtrack.

so far, fairly underwhelmed and only really listening to a couple of the songs. Seems like the hopping around method is working better than listening through the whole album straight.

oh and idk if just the copy i have but Julians vocals sometimes too damn low...this was after listening to the album via headphones. From my pc speaker setup, slightly better but def could be clearer.

onto more listening...
If you could send me a download link, I'd very much appreciate that.
EDIT: Never mind. It's streaming on their site.

Bands always say they're going back to their roots (except Radiohead)...If the Strokes did go back to This Is it, I think a lot of people would get bored of the new album very quickly. The sound of their first album is great for what it is but to re-do it on this one would be bad news,
Last edited by rival on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

candycaneboy03 wrote: oh and idk if just the copy i have but Julians vocals sometimes too damn low...this was after listening to the album via headphones. From my pc speaker setup, slightly better but def could be clearer.
The singing has always been pretty low for the strokes, especially live, it gets drowned out a lot it seems. My girlfriend was talking about it after they were on SNL (I didn't see it) and how it was like when we went to their concerts in 2006 and could hardly hear the singing..
jastro
Little Bird

Post by jastro »

hxcoliver wrote: i was at that show too! it was so crazy and wild and fun! i loved it! i got punched in the face by some damn girl.
were you in the middle of it all?
Yeah it was an awesome night for sure. Loved the fact that the entire ground bounced with everybody jumping.
I was almost directly in the middle between the stage and the seats. Didn't get punched by any girls, fortunately haha.

Can not wait for the album.
mojaveplastics.com
FlyFarmBlues
Little Acorn

Post by FlyFarmBlues »

I think the new album is fantastic. I think this is major progress from their last album and it does remind me of The Strokes I loved in Is This It...
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

They're going back into the studio in mid-April...Read an article about it on NME the other day...
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Yeah, I just heard that on the radio this morning. I really liked the first two albums but haven't been as into them since...
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

Yeah the first 2 are classics, but I've still liked their other 2. They're one of my top favorite bands so this news is super exciting
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

hxcoliver wrote:Yeah the first 2 are classics, but I've still liked their other 2. They're one of my top favorite bands so this news is super exciting
Me too...wish I could have seen them at Coachella 2 years ago. Great set.
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

maxman142001 wrote:
hxcoliver wrote:Yeah the first 2 are classics, but I've still liked their other 2. They're one of my top favorite bands so this news is super exciting
Me too...wish I could have seen them at Coachella 2 years ago. Great set.
Coachella would have been awesome. That was their first date back together right? I was lucky enough to see them at Outside Lands that year. Such a glorious show. It was definitely close to being a riot, but one of my top favorite shows