The Black Keys

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Re: The Black Keys

Post by JonnyH »

achouza wrote:For some reason I have been listening to Chulahoma nonstop the past couple weeks. Damn this album is fantastic.
it's easily my favorite BK release.
John Tom
Little Cream Soda

Post by John Tom »

Alabama Woody wrote:I like their last 2 albums as much as the early stuff. Most old time fans .....don't.
As an old time fan, I agree that I dislike the new stuff. Danger Mouse has been a massively negative influence on the band. Case-in-point, I saw them last night at the BOK Center in Tulsa and the crowd really responded well to the older material but was mightily subdued for the new album's material.

P.S. - St. Vincent kicked ass. She played damn near an hour and made up for the Turn Blue material...

P.S.S. - The special poster for the show is absolutely killer; straight up 2001: A Space Odyssey.
JonnyH wrote:
achouza wrote:For some reason I have been listening to Chulahoma nonstop the past couple weeks. Damn this album is fantastic.
it's easily my favorite BK release.
+1 million
Stl_ben wrote:I have seen them play in record stores and for giant festivals, in bars and medium size venues.....
Of course in the record store was coolest because it was like them and 10 people enjoying it in our faces.....but I would love for them to play the 2000-3000 cap venues with just the two of them on stage that was the best for me.
I saw them in Portland, ME a couple of years ago in a small venue. Fantastic. Compared to the arena show last night, I'd say they're just built (if you will) for smaller venues. For example, if they'd played at Cain's last night, I'd probably have even enjoyed the new stuff ...a little at least.
At least I'm not racin' towards a red light…
--Det. Rust Cohle

Thank you, Tulsa. I can't even lie to you. I love your town so much. Tulsa is more America than America is America. God bless you. I love you. Thank you so much.
--Jack White
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

When the band toured their early albums they had no fans and couldn't fill up small rooms. They have got bigger and bigger with each of their new albums and sell out bigger and bigger venues.....so yeah it makes perfect sense when people say they are not as good as the used to be.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
John Tom
Little Cream Soda

Post by John Tom »

Stl_ben wrote:When the band toured their early albums they had no fans and couldn't fill up small rooms. They have got bigger and bigger with each of their new albums and sell out bigger and bigger venues.....so yeah it makes perfect sense when people say they are not as good as the used to be.
Ha! First of all, I attended an early concert and it was packed. 'Course it was a Cain's type venue. They sounded great. So, it makes perfect sense in that I compared them to the show in Portland (smaller venue & older material) to Tulsa (arena & Danger Mouse influenced crap). So, yeah, I liked them better years ago and only went to support the band; however, that won't happen again. Dan and Patrick have decided they want a different sound and it's one that I don't support.
And, lastly, if we want to measure a bands success by whether they play arenas or not, that's a whole other can-of-worms...
--Det. Rust Cohle

Thank you, Tulsa. I can't even lie to you. I love your town so much. Tulsa is more America than America is America. God bless you. I love you. Thank you so much.
--Jack White
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

John Tom wrote:And, lastly, if we want to measure a bands success by whether they play arenas or not, that's a whole other can-of-worms...
Ya, I am with you on that one.

Also, just because they have more fans, doesn't mean they are getting "better".. it could mean many things, like they are just getting more "mainstream." I think a lot of us music snobs can all agree that most of the shit on the radio now days is just that...shit. But that is what most people like right now, so if they have broken into that crowd and people with little or no taste in music like them, it doesn't always mean the band is "better" than they used to be......better to who?

I know I am going to get a lot of shit for that comment...but I can't help but shake my head when i flip through the radio stations in my car now days..
John Tom
Little Cream Soda

Post by John Tom »

arewhyehen wrote:Also, just because they have more fans, doesn't mean they are getting "better".. it could mean many things, like they are just getting more "mainstream." I think a lot of us music snobs can all agree that most of the shit on the radio now days is just that...shit. But that is what most people like right now, so if they have broken into that crowd and people with little or no taste in music like them, it doesn't always mean the band is "better" than they used to be......better to who?

I know I am going to get a lot of shit for that comment...but I can't help but shake my head when i flip through the radio stations in my car now days..
You won't get any disagreement from me because I think you nailed it.

Signed: A proud fellow music snob

;)
--Det. Rust Cohle

--Jack White
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

So, what ever happened to that "buddy film" documentary from the El Camino tour that was in the works?
Mind you this was mentioned at the same time the Keys were said to have begun work on a new album back in 2012/2013, but still.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

I'm anything but a music snob, but I prefer Turn Blue and Brothers over their older stuff. The prints from this tour have been outstanding.

Any time a band gets bigger there will be a portion of the fans who will always say their old stuff was better. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. It's all opinion, there is no quantifiable evidence that a band is improving or getting worse.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I like the old stuff and the new stuff. I like Danger Mouse a lot as well. To me they have evolved into a great band. Everyone has an opinion, that's mine. But I will not go see them at Bridgestone Arena, I would rather go to Atlanta and see them in a better arena. Bridgestone sucks. I like Phillips Arena in Atlanta if I have to see an Arena show. I saw U2 and Bruce Springsteen in Atlanta at Phillips and both were great for viewing and sound. It will be interesting to see how I enjoy the JW show at Bridgestone. I hope to get my short wife up front. If you are short and not up front on the floor you won't be able to see anything, literally. Black Keys are a favorite of mine .... Don't see that changing anytime soon ! I do rank Jack above them though :D

I think the Black Keys have been selfish to the Nashville area considering they live there they could play a small show every once in a while. Hell if Jack will play the Blue Room can't the Black Keys play the Ryman ???
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

The Black Keys have played small show in Nashville to. I know they did one this year at the venue that is right behind TMR.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

They played a secret show not open to the public, once. That's it. Bridgestone Arena otherwise
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Alabama Woody wrote:They played a secret show not open to the public, once. That's it. Bridgestone Arena otherwise
2 small secret shows that I know of. I would say they were pretty similar to jack at tmr shows. Almost impossible to get into but if you were lucky or knew someone you may have had a chance.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

A new Dan solo album, why am I only just hearing of this...?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/04/t ... -the-arcs/
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Dr.Zissou
Little Acorn

Post by Dr.Zissou »

Did anyone pick up The Arcs 7" I'm waiting on mine to arrive.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Dr.Zissou wrote:Did anyone pick up The Arcs 7" I'm waiting on mine to arrive.
as am I. (nowhere local got copies.)