Chris Cornell

Discuss non-TMR bands in here
mojoryan
Little People

Re: Chris Cornell

Post by mojoryan »

Kali Durga wrote:Oh, it's definitely apples and oranges, but both are fruit so at least some comparisons can be drawn. I would never say that they're alike, especially when you bring the WS into the mix. Jack is much more diverse stylistically, what with branching out into poppier tunes like FILWAG and such. Perhaps a better way to put it is that I get a similar feel from many of Jack's lyrics as I get from Cornell's pre-Carry On. They strike the same chords in me, resonate in similar ways. What I need to do is sit down and try to come up with some concrete examples, but I haven't put quite that much thought into all of this yet.

Interesting that you feel Cornell is more creative, I think I would say the opposite. As far as song-structure, would you be able to explain a bit more why you think that Cornell is better?
I love Jack's diversity, and I'm blown away by it, but that wasn't was I was referring to. It's about the composition aspect. I think Jack has grown immensely since TWS days, and it shows in his composition. With TWS, very rudimentary (mostly 1st position) chords were being used. It always wows me when people like Jack can do SO much with just a handful of chords, and then you listen to bands like AC/DC who fail miserably at that same task. Whereas Chris uses rudimentary chords pretty infrequently. In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit this might largely be an egocentric association for me, as I've written with a similar approach to chord voicings as Chris since I was about 16; I'm naturally drawn to it. Again, it's all subjective, and both artists, as you said, are tasty fruits. Wait...that didn't come out as good as it did in my head.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Why am I suddenly craving peaches...?

One thing, though-- I was thinking purely in lyrical terms, just the words they've written, and you're apparently comparing them musically. So our conversation is also at cross-fruits ;)
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Chris Cornell

Post by Alabama Woody »

Have y'all listened to Soundgarden's album - King Animals from 2012?
It's a pretty damn good album, I have on CD..... Took a few listening to but it grew on me.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Damn man. RIP
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

I know there's a few people on here that will be devastated. What a tragedy
Never trust a hippy
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Lots of feels right now. My condolences to those touched.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I have a few friends who were at the Detroit show last night. One of them a big Jack and PJ fan that a lot of us know. He posted a bunch of videos from last night and Chris just seemed super empty and exhausted. It was really sad to watch, especially as someone who has seen them perform a bunch of times and knowing how intense Chris normally is on stage.

Their last song was Slaves and Bulldozers merged with Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying" :(

RIP!! Another incredibly talented musician gone way too soon.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I can't bring myself to watch Mike's videos. Too many old songs and the feelings associated with them have been welling up.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:I can't bring myself to watch Mike's videos. Too many old songs and the feelings associated with them have been welling up.
If you have ever seen Chris or Soundgarden live, Mike's videos are very sad to watch... He was definitely not himself on stage last night.

I remember when Scott Weiland passed, one of his last interviews was with a local station in Toronto, before his last show later that night and he just looked and spoke as if he was just emotionally dead inside. It was extremely sad to see and watching those videos of Chris on stage last night just instantly reminded me of Scott...

I can't even imagine what his band, friends and family are all going through. Hope they all get through this.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Hanged is gonna make it real difficult for me to listen to my favorite Soundgarden song, probably ever again.

Love and positive thoughts to all of you affected today. <3
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

arewhyehen wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:I can't bring myself to watch Mike's videos. Too many old songs and the feelings associated with them have been welling up.
If you have ever seen Chris or Soundgarden live, Mike's videos are very sad to watch... He was definitely not himself on stage last night.
I wasn't following the Soundgarden reunion tour, so have no idea what he was like recently. The only time I was fortunate enough to see Soundgarden was on the Lollapalooza tour, the year that Metallica headlined. Almost had my head knocked off in the mosh pit, but managed to get one clear glimpse of Chris at the mic stand. Then I saw a few shows on the tour for his second solo album. That was 10 years ago and my memories are hazy beyond what I wrote in blog posts. But you've reaffirmed that I definitely don't want to watch Mike's videos now. I'll stick with old videos.

And, shit, I just noticed that the last post before runofthemill's this morning was from Woody, so this thread just became doubly sad.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

JonnyH wrote:Hanged is gonna make it real difficult for me to listen to my favorite Soundgarden song, probably ever again.

Love and positive thoughts to all of you affected today. <3
Yeah, I think a lot of his songs will be tough, with many of them talking of death. The video for Nearly Forgot MY Broken Heart just came up on YouTube and its got hangings in that as well..
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

My girlfriend and I started putting together some articles a few weeks back based around some of the members who seem to fly under the radar, but have been involved in some massive projects over the years. It focused on guys like Dean Fertita, Jack Lawrence, Matt McJunkins, Troy VanLeeuwen and the massive family tree that created, and since we were already focused on this topic, we decided to do one on Seattle once we all heard the news last week.

I think most of us are always looking for new music through our favourite bands. Whether it's one of the members past projects, new side project, touring with another band or whatever...it's just a simple way to find new, similar music to what you already know. Seattle was special in that sense. All those bands were one big family and had a connection to each other in some way or another. Though most of us know many of the connections, once you start to write it all down, it's crazier than you think..

We put together a small article on a bunch of those connections....we also found this graphic that shows the connections with Pearl Jam members and their bands, although it doesn't show the connections with Alice in Chains, Skin Yard, Screaming Trees and the many other bands..we talk about it a bit. I want to do something similar with Dean and his connections to all of Jack's projects as well as his connections with Josh Homme's projects..

https://hippiehistorian.com/2017/05/21/ ... mily-tree/