First Posts

tcricha43
Little Cream Soda

Re: First Posts

Post by tcricha43 »

As someone that doesn't post too often, I can't say I agree with the idea of having a certain amount of posts before you can trade buy or sell. Look how many annoying posts the kids on this forum have. I try only to post when I have something to add to the conversation or share in the excitement of something. I have done some trading, buying, and selling but I also still consider myself to be new here. I think a lot of the newer people (especially in the past two months) don't understand that this is primarially a collectors' forum and go on a post rampage. In my opinion your first post should have to be an introduction. After that a new member should maybe only be able buy or trade for a certain amount of time before they are allowed to sell anything. That would cut down on people joining just to flip records.

Also to all the new people: this place is full of a large tight group of people that have been here a long time! Take it easy, make a slow transition into being a member here. It will be worth it, I promise. If you are annoying people and catching hell every other post, take a minute to think of why that's happening. ;)
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

tcricha43 wrote:In my opinion your first post should have to be an introduction. After that a new member should maybe only be able buy or trade for a certain amount of time before they are allowed to sell anything.
I was going to bring this up as well but wasn't sure how many people would be on board with it but I think it's a very good idea. Not only does it cut down on people coming here strictly to flip right away, but it builds up feedback and TRUST for those who do come over here and try and sell big ticket items. Every single person here can say that we are all a bit nervous buying a $1000 record from someone with 0 feedback and two posts.. If they had 3..or 5 feedback from trades or buying, it might not be so bad.
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

I'm confused. Why do we want to make it harder to find the records we all want? Why not let each member decide who they want to deal with? Post counts and feedback are just some of the factors to consider when deciding on a deal.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

If the new member has zero feedback, and one post, I personally wouldn't jump at buying anything from them. If they did, however, have more posts, allowing me to get a little bit more of a feel for the kind of person they might be, I would definitely feel more secure. I've approached zero feedback people...several, in fact, but it was only after watching how they conducted themselves in their comments.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

Every major purchase I've made on here has been with longtime reputable members. Doubt that will change. Just a big fan of options.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

cwja wrote:Every major purchase I've made on here has been with longtime reputable members. Doubt that will change. Just a big fan of options.
That's part of the reason I keep finding myself flip-flopping. Doing so is very unlike me, but when I weigh the "they could be coming here ...A)to heist people, B)to make a quick buck and leave, or C)with no real intention to sell their item here, as they just hope to inflate their ebay listing price," with the, "they could be just fine, and actually be a benefit to those of us looking for that hard to find _________," I have a hard time settling.
As for watching people get flamed, well, I don't so much dig that (even though I did it myself once by accident).
...words to live by.
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

Hi. My name is John (real name). I live in Leeds in the UK. Please don't give me a hard time or hurt my feelings. Thank You.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

tcricha43 wrote:Also to all the new people: this place is full of a large tight group of people that have been here a long time! Take it easy, make a slow transition into being a member here. It will be worth it, I promise. If you are annoying people and catching hell every other post, take a minute to think of why that's happening. ;)
This applies pretty much anywhere you go. Not even just on the internet.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
BluefordT
Little Ghost

Post by BluefordT »

destijl wrote:Hi. My name is John (real name). I live in Leeds in the UK. Please don't give me a hard time or hurt my feelings. Thank You.
You have feelings? Watcha John????? :lol:
"No saddly I didn't have enough money from flipping to pay for the car..."
StLBen:Stiben(Elitist Hipster Tool Person)
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

mojoryan wrote:As for watching people get flamed, well, I don't so much dig that (even though I did it myself once by accident).
This is of more concern to me than people posting FS threads for their first post.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

higherlimits wrote:
mojoryan wrote:As for watching people get flamed, well, I don't so much dig that (even though I did it myself once by accident).
This is of more concern to me than people posting FS threads for their first post.
Then write up some guidelines and start handing out vacations. That'll fix that problem.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

I'm ready for a vacation. Bring it if you feel necessary.
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

I think you need a vaccination....
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

hawke000 wrote:I'm ready for a vacation. Bring it if you feel necessary.
Hawke, just got invited to an invite only Steamwhistle party in London.Friday May 25th after work...free beer and food all night :) man I love these guys
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

higherlimits wrote:
I agree: abuse sucks. And for the record, I really was being (mostly) playful; I even made an honest offer in the same msg.
...words to live by.