Beware, keep your soap cool or it'll ruin...

Stylophones to Rob Jones
Little Cream Soda
Little Bird

Beware, keep your soap cool or it'll ruin...

Post by Little Cream Soda »

So my soap hasn't been in direct sunlight or anything of the sort, but it's been hot over the past few weeks, just looked at my soaps to put them somewhere else (they were in a box in my living room) and they seem to have melted or the oil inside the soap has escaped, quite disappointing, any tips on fixing them or are they ruined for good? I planned on selling a couple since I need the money, but I would not be prepared to give these to anybody.
trickster
Greek Mod

Re: Beware, keep your soap cool or it'll ruin...

Post by trickster »

Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will ruin everything and I will be away from home for another 5 weeks
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

The melt point is over 50C can you post a picture?
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Good thing my condo is always pretty cool.. I have thought about that issue though..
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

I have a few in my basement stored away and it's nice and cool down there and humidity controlled. However the one I stuck in the mail this week to a fellow swirler might go through some heat in the mail truck.... lets pray it arrives ok.
Grim
I am everything you hate...
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Grimtale wrote:I have a few in my basement stored away and it's nice and cool down there and humidity controlled. However the one I stuck in the mail this week to a fellow swirler might go through some heat in the mail truck.... lets pray it arrives ok.
Grim
Amen brother! :lol:
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

mine have "melted" as well. not the entire bar, it's like it just leaked & the coating (?) came off.

same thing happened to 2 bars, stored in separate places, out of direct heat/light.
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I bought 4 and 3 of them are still in the boxes but one is out and it did start to get a little melty and bead up with moisture but I just checked it and most of it seemed to go away. Mine are out of direct sunlight and in a relatively cool room since the a/c is always on.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Uh oh Jimmy. Just looked at mine, it is pretty beady. The test press is A-OK though, what's the difference in the components?

I've heard of soap sweating, is it reversible?

flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

That type of sweating looks fairly typical of either being in humid conditions, or heat with the wrap being airtight;

The former is the biggest problem, as moisture from the atmosphere displaces Glycerine from the soap and this will not evaporate as water would, it can be wiped off but the bar will be sticky, and given the intricate design will be tough. Sometimes removing it to a dry atmosphere will allow the Glycol to go back into the bar but unlikely.

If it is just heat and the wrap has not allowed moisture to pass then exposing to atmosphere should clear it right up.

As I posted a while back in the merch thread, the "shelf life" of these is only about a year (they were made last year); best way to store is in a cool dry place which is ventilated (fridge works well) and put a pin hole in the wrap.

But even in the best controlled conditions a bar will not survive much beyond 3 years, so if anybody has extras you are looking to sell I suggest you do it quickly, or you could always wash with it.....

7th_son wrote:Uh oh Jimmy. Just looked at mine, it is pretty beady. The test press is A-OK though, what's the difference in the components?

I've heard of soap sweating, is it reversible?

Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Adam;

The test bar used a synthetic pearl, which while creating a nice bar was not as good a match for the Racs color. The natural pearl used in the final bar is more dense and so may be changing the rate at which moisture can be released. :ugeek:
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

flattop2001 wrote:That type of sweating looks fairly typical of either being in humid conditions, or heat with the wrap being airtight;

The former is the biggest problem, as moisture from the atmosphere displaces Glycerine from the soap and this will not evaporate as water would, it can be wiped off but the bar will be sticky, and given the intricate design will be tough. Sometimes removing it to a dry atmosphere will allow the Glycol to go back into the bar but unlikely.

If it is just heat and the wrap has not allowed moisture to pass then exposing to atmosphere should clear it right up.

As I posted a while back in the merch thread, the "shelf life" of these is only about a year (they were made last year); best way to store is in a cool dry place which is ventilated (fridge works well) and put a pin hole in the wrap.

But even in the best controlled conditions a bar will not survive much beyond 3 years, so if anybody has extras you are looking to sell I suggest you do it quickly, or you could always wash with it.....
It is definitely humid here. It does look more like an oily liquid, but it's hard to say. I have three that look identical, so I'm going to set up an experiment (n = 1 :P ) and see if changing the conditions will reverse it. Somehow I doubt it though. I am running low on Dove...
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I live in a pretty dry area so I don't think I'm going to have these problems.. I could crack mine open and look though...
ochfish707
Little Ghost

Post by ochfish707 »

2 of my 3 were damaged :cry:
'i'm taking my ball and going home'
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

you guys are stressing out over soap...

somewhere, jack's chuckling.
he is everything i hate...